Memphis Depay

Andresito

Staff member
Replacing Griezmann with Depay nullifies the issues you'd be solving by getting rid of Griezmann. This has been pointed out several times before. It makes no sense. If that's the strategy, might as well keep Griezmann as he's a better player than Depay.

We'd be getting rid of his high wages and hopefully getting money in return. I'm sure having Depay as backup wouldn't be that much different to having Griezmann as backup/shoehorned into the lineup.

soul24rage

It really depends whether Messi leaves or not. I'm just hoping that Messi decides his future soon to plan well for next season.

Laplacian

Well for starters, you'd get less goals that's for sure. Griezmann has 3x the non-penalty goals, and this is a shit season for him. Secondly if all we're going to do is get second-rate attacking midfielders for free then the wages are no longer an issue.

Andresito

Staff member
Well for starters, you'd get less goals that's for sure. Griezmann has 3x the non-penalty goals, and this is a shit season for him. Secondly if all we're going to do is get second-rate attacking midfielders for free then the wages are no longer an issue.

Griezmann isn't good enough to be a starter. He'd be a great backup but he'd be the most expensive backup of all time. Logically we're getting rid of him.

Who are we supposed to replace him with? Haaland would be great, and then Depay wouldn't be needed. But it's unlikely we can spend too much money. Depay works as a stop gap.

I'm not drooling over Depay. But in this market with our economy he'd be a wise choice. Not as a priority but as a "better than nothing" option.

Yannik

is Griezmann even better than Depay? Seems like neither is particularly stacked in the goal department and cant be a solution there. But Depay wins it in creativity.

vuji_31

Griezmann earsn too much to be looked as backup option from bench. He is shit, Depay is probably even worse.

Fati-Haaland-Messi are starters (ofc. maybe some other striker instead of Haaland but starter material not squad player).
We need backup for them.

Dembele and Trincao will stay. And there is one space for ST backup. Depay would not be worst option because he is better then Braithwaite.

Sell Griezmann and Braith and bring just new striker and Depay as backup.
Or keep Braithwaite on low wages instead of bringing Depay who will demand big wage because there is no transfer fee. But on the other hand Depay is better and more versatile.

Last edited:

fergus90

If Depay joins I don't see Barca looking for another forward as I think he is Koeman's main target for that 9 role. As nice as it would be to think Depay is bought as a back-up, I don't see that being the case.

Last edited:

vuji_31

Possible.

That means we are broke, and Haaland or big names are smoke screen for funs.

But no way if there is any money after sales that this guy should be our prime 9.

behindbrowneyes

If this is a shit season for Griezmann, then what was last season?

I'd say that's his level in a Barcelona team. We are talking about a player who joined the club in his best years talking about age. Looks like he had his prime in his younger days though and never will be a fit at the club. Griezmann is better than Depay, but he is earning 3 times of what Coutinho is getting and if there is a chance of selling Griezmann the club should take it. Club still needs to reduce salaries to comply with salary cap rules.

Not really a fan of Depay joining Barca, at least not as fixed starting player, but he is free and on much lower wages than Griezmann and even Coutinho. He wouldn't be my first choice either, but he is probably the best we can get this summer. Doubt the club will offer him high salary, so he even should have some resale value. He worked well as #9 when Koeman was NT coach and offers some physicality.

Having said that, I doubt the club is trying to replace Griezmann or Coutinho with Depay. What they are trying to do will be replacing Braithwaite with Depay, I'd guess.

Last edited:

ebc_99

Depay is a really good player, underrated after his time in England which wasn't that bad. I think he can be a great addition to the squad but not as a starter, it would be underwhelming if he was our number 9 but as somebody who could play a support role then he would be fantastic.

malvolio

Depay is a really good player, underrated after his time in England which wasn't that bad. I think he can be a great addition to the squad but not as a starter, it would be underwhelming if he was our number 9 but as somebody who could play a support role then he would be fantastic.

just out of curiosity - has barca ever transferred a big club flop that managed to turn his career around and be successful here?

fergus90

I can't see Depay joining just to accept a squad role, and I can't see Koeman campaigning for him so much if he didn't see him as part of his starting 11.

Porque

Does Samuel Eto'o count?

The only other one which is a clearer example is Luis Enrique.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans