Mavericky Puig

JamDav1982

In his last six starts for Barca Puig has been taken off at HT in three of them as team were not winning and he was shite. In all three Barca turned game around. All three of those v lower league opposition in the cup.

In another he lasted less than an hour and was taken off as shite and Barca losing.. to then turn game round.

Riqui 'always performs' Puig.

Six starts. Four shite performances.

Top stuff.

Bobo32

The gloating in here eats a bit of my soul just by watching from a distance. So unworthy of "human beings"!

Puig played probably his worst game in Barcelona so far, but was pretty much the only spark of greatness in that first half.
Xavi wanted Frenkie in together with Pique and Dembele to turn the score, and he chose Riqui instead of Nico (whose mistakes seem to flow over the head of people completely, he had two TERRIBLE losses of possession in the first half, too)

Riqui looked a bit sleepy initially, like the rest of the team, but he awoke more than most as the half progressed, finding some nice space wide from which he could progress the ball nicely a lot of the time.
He was too pussy on some occassions when he had the chance to make a cross or final ball, giving the chance to the terrible Alba instead, but he also found a lot of nice and even some brilliant progressive passes. He made too many errors, a couple of which were really terrible and which I have little patience with, but he also faced an inspired team and his team mates were very uninspired (as he was too), some of his moves require his team mates to be not only smart but also a bit inspired, as he holds on to the ball waiting for the space to open and his mate to run into. I love his intention most of the time, but sometimes he needs to have even more patience and take the safe option instead of relying on intuition and hope, especially when he isn't really match fit.

I hope that Xavi sees this similarly as me, has a good talk with Puig, and puts more trust in him from here.

Porque

[MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION] . Had a nice through ball which Jutgla incorrectly intercepted. Looked like it would have put his intended target through on goal.

But overall, too chaotic, not enough control and poorly lost balls.

Nico was observably poor in passing too, but Xavi preferred to maintain structure by keeping him on. I think Puig is too inquisitive when the team has the ball to keep shape in games like this.

Bobo32

[MENTION=29755]Bobo32[/MENTION] . Had a nice through ball which Jutgla incorrectly intercepted. Looked like it would have put his intended target through on goal.

But overall, too chaotic, not enough control and poorly lost balls.

Nico was observably poor in passing too, but Xavi preferred to maintain structure by keeping him on. I think Puig is too inquisitive when the team has the ball to keep shape in games like this.

Yeah, I didn't like what I saw from him, or his team mates, or his coach, in the first half. If I am partial towards Puig, I'm at least as much partial towards Busquets, Alves and Xavi, and I am very much fond of Nico, Garcia and Alba, too and have nothing against the other players who played today, either.
But today they were all a bit sleepy for 60 minutes, and the opponents were pretty high on energy for 60 minutes, and later crumbled a bit.
I hope that Xavi don't use Puig as a scapegoat, as Koeman did and as most of this forum seems to do today, but makes the saner analysis you make.

I half agree with Xavi it was not about tactics but about faith, but I also thought his tactics were a bit unsuccesful too, although it is sometimes hard to differentiate... All the players were too sloppy.
Didn't see that much of a change after the half-time talk and changes either, but the goals changed a lot.

Puig, and others, found Nico quite well behind the midfield quite a lot, Nico snuck into that space nicely I noticed, but he didn't make that much of it maybe...

JamDav1982

Nico created chance for Ilais in first half, assisted the second and was involved with some of the other chances created in second through link up with Alba.

Even if Nico had some sloppy moments Puig was far worse.

Puig was bullied, poor on ball and did little to progress game, was frustrating own team mates with idiotic movement to where was taking ball and lost it far too often.

Was clear why Xavi kept Nico on and second half justified it further.

Puig is shite and not even in top 6 mids at club.

fergus90

Nico didn't have a particularly good night but he was far more effective than Puig. Problem with Riqui is that when the quick short passing isn't working he's got little else to offer.

George_Costanza

Nico didn't have a particularly good night but he was far more effective than Puig. Problem with Riqui is that when the quick short passing isn't working he's got little else to offer.

And do you think if Nico had a bad night he would be criticized as much as Puig? I mean Puig had a good game last Sunday and rated higher than both FDJ & Nico, yet it didn't stop someone like Birdy or Messi983 from writing essays criticizing him. Is it cuz many of us thought he played well so they had to write that long to convince us otherwise? :lol: Then when he has a bad game, it's a party for the usual reactionary haters here.

My opinion? He had a bad game... move on, people here are so dramatic.

Porque

Not nearly as bad as is being said.

Shame it is cut off, but the pass at the 2:00 mark would have put the player furthest from shot through on goal.

Home of Barca Fans