Mavericky Puig

CatalinR10

FFYtssaXMAEqBBd

Universes apart.

Bobo32

I'm talking of his pressing out of position without realising who and what is behind. In general, isn't what Puig showed versus Espanyol the type of pressing you expect from the forward line and not the midfield line?

Those clips in isolation look bad, just if you took an Abde defensive effort in isolation it would look bad, or a failed Nico turn in his own half (you probably know the one versus Villarreal). But they do show an issue.

Anyways, I am just reading between the lines and could be way off. Xavi hasn't been here long, but he has had more time with Puig than Frenkie, Nico and Gavi who were all with international games when he arrived. So a slight advance in working with him, and then he hasn't played him in the last two "difficult" games.

So for whatever reason, Xavi hasn't trusted Puig as a change for Benfica and Villrreal after the Espanyol game. For whatever reason, and I could be wrong. But also it is very clear that Puig is great in possession and positioning in possession.
I think that clip and decision can be defended as I have done, and I think it's more of a stylistic thing than a mistake or a weakness in his game. Puig is good at covering when that is what he's doing.
He leaves his position to press intensely when he is the one closest to the ball, the gaps he leaves are to be filled by the players behind him.
I hate the way Barcelona played for example against PSG in the first leg, when Busquets was the only one worried about pressing sometimes, leaving his position to press their pivote, and Pedri and Frenkie falling and falling and sitting at the knees of the defenders.
Yes the attackers should look at that clip of Puig and take notice, but sometimes there is a place for these kinds of runs from midfielders too - look at Fabregas in the clip I posted for example.
Had Depay been more active in the clip, it would be correct of Puig to stay back though. I think that Puig as a false 9 would be great by the way, partly because his pressing could help the team a lot from there.

I am disappointed that Xavi doesn't trust him so far, and I am also disappointed that he doesn't trust the players to play from the back more, but is fine with ter Stegen hoofing it because the defenders doesn't show themselves.
I think that he so far has been very much building on the players Koeman already trusted and who has match fitness. He wanted to try a couple of wingers, and try his own system, and it makes some sense to start with that and not change too much at the same time, that's the way I cope so far. Also, the midfield looks a lot better now, all four players are very talented, and shouldn't be disregarded.
These are the next 5 games until the winter break. I'm not going to comment too much about Xavi's selections and substitutions until then, so we will have a better idea at the end of the year. But what games do you think Xavi will play Puig in and under what circumstance?

Betis @ H - Sub if game is concluded
Bayern @ A - Doesn't feature
Osasuna @ H - Sub, possible starts
Boca Friendly (ignored)
Elche @ H - Sub, possibly starts
Sevilla @ A - Doesn't feature

You?
I think your predictions makes sense. It's hard for me to predict, but what I hope for is that if he is subbed on and plays well against for example Betis or Osasuna, that he gets to play more after that. I also hope to see him start for 5 games or so in a row one time, to be able to judge him better.
I think putting Puig on against Bayern could be good tactically, but brilliant for its sign value...

JamDav1982

Keep scratching your head why no coach rates the 'top five midfielder in world' if think Puig running about like a clueless toddler is impressive.

Horatio

You're welcome
Everyone celebrating the Messi win in Balon dor thread meanwhile Jamdav only here to hold back the armies in Puig thread. rofl

delancey

His dad is close to Laporta, right? He holds a position of affluence within the club, I believe? Puig needs to get minutes elsewhere man! If he cares about his career, be needs to move to a club that will allow him to start consistently.

Home of Barca Fans