Mavericky Puig

JamDav1982

Yeah, in the sense that he forces the difficult passes, and when they do come out, they are usually very destabilizing for the opponent's defensive structure. When they don't though, people call him a headless chicken and a turnover machine.

There are far better passers in team than Puig both in range and splitting game open early.

vegitot

so you're saying the quality of a pass is determined by what comes after it? not following that logic. he made a good pass that allowed for attacking momentum.

And only because it is an absolute fluke goal so you call it a good pass. If not it is just a pass from anyone.

JamDav1982

It was a decent/good pass.

This is problem with likes of Puig. Folk stall on this type of thing and massively overhype it. Then convince themselves he is one of best in team at opening up a game and can make passes no others can.

BusiTheKing

And only because it is an absolute fluke goal so you call it a good pass. If not it is just a pass from anyone.

it has nothing to do with the goal - i only mentioned that so people knew what pass was meant.

i did maybe exaggerate how good it was but it was still only a reply to someone claiming that he did 'absolutely nothing'

vegitot

Yeah, in the sense that he forces the difficult passes, and when they do come out, they are usually very destabilizing for the opponent's defensive structure. When they don't though, people call him a headless chicken and a turnover machine.

Isn't it the samething for anyone???

BusiTheKing

It was a decent/good pass.

This is problem with likes of Puig. Folk stall on this type of thing and massively overhype it. Then convince themselves he is one of best in team at opening up a game and can make passes no others can.

i already walked it back twice - specificily mentioning that i DON'T think 'only he can do it'

i maintain that it was a good pass that most people wouldn't make and that it's an example of something he does consistentently that over a course of a game will open up chances

vegitot

it has nothing to do with the goal - i only mentioned that so people knew what pass was meant.

i did maybe exaggerate how good it was but it was still only a reply to someone claiming that he did 'absolutely nothing'

It's pretty much nothing. He makes a good pass but it is not a spectacular through ball or something. Just because there is a fluke goal after it so you can say he starts Barca's attack... If not then it is just a good pass, nothing else.

BusiTheKing

It's pretty much nothing. He makes a good pass but it is not a spectacular through ball or something. Just because there is a fluke goal after it so you can say he starts Barca's attack... If not then it is just a good pass, nothing else.

are you serious mate? i've already explained like three times that i don't think it's anything beyond a 'good pass' and that the goal had nothing to do with it.

vegitot

i already walked it back twice - specificily mentioning that i DON'T think 'only he can do it'

i maintain that it was a good pass that most people wouldn't make and that it's an example of something he does consistentently that over a course of a game will open up chances

Seriously, what make you think most people will not make a pass like that??? No one block in front of him, plenty space ahead...

BusiTheKing

Seriously, what make you think most people will not make a pass like that??? No one block in front of him, plenty space ahead...

combination of width of the path (somewhat narrow), temporal window of it being open (necessitating a quick decision), location on the field (imposing a high risk if the pass fails)

but mostly i just used my intuition. that's all we can do really. if you think everyone else would have made the pass, then fine. we disagree and can leave it at that.

Bobo32

That's what he brings to the team. A sense of urgency and a quicker pace of passing.

nah it's not a sense of urgency but a sense of harmony - his decision making is simply good, he sees the correct continuation most of the time.
Sometimes he plays too urgently, I don't like that, but that's more because he feels the need to prove himself I am sure. Today was a good performance, although I thought he looked a bit lazy in defence sometimes.

It was a nice attack before the goal, and yes Puig was at the center of that, with his positioning and his good decision making.

BusiTheKing

i think that most people seing an open pass like that would take another touch to delay the decision and evaluate the option more carefully, which would mean that the path would have likely closed.

JamDav1982

Just watched the Braithwaite goal again to be sure.

That is not even a 'good' pass it is absolutely bog standard and done dozens of times a game.

Was giving it too much credit based on lavish descriptions from others.

Lenglet makes dozens of those passes and better ones every game. Let alone the midfielders.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans