Mavericky Puig

JamDav1982

I disagree. Puig plays like CMs usually do in La Masia. It's not much different. Pass and move, tiki-taka player, that needs to a fluid system where several other players shame the same type of movements.

We don't even know if he was instructed to do pressing since Messi doesn't do it. If we have forwards that apply pressing, then it's logic he won't run like a mad man to press.

He played as a AM more or less in B team and the pass and move bit he does do as said.

Of course he is instructed to play a certain way. This idea that the coaches are not telling him what to do and are at fault for him playing way he does is clutching.

It is basics he would have been taught all through La Masia of when to press.

vegitot

Puig best opportunities is if you sacrifice a AML or AMR in a 433 and have him as a pseudo winger with the freedom to move interior and create. Or as the AMC in a 4231. Obviously he won't structually help much in defence, but he will work hard off the ball to close space in those positions- while not compromising tactically compared to being an aligned central midfielder.

Without Messi there will be opportunities for this role but he will have to prove that he can improve his assist making. Think Bernardo Silva at City.

An AM without goal, assist, chance created, dribble????

Better stick at CM.

Porque

I think he's perfect in the left interior role he had today, should be better with 3 in front rather than 2, even though it didn't show today.
Busquets and Alba in behind, maybe Pedri in the AML and Messi as a F9. Puig would thrive then!
But everything depends on different team mentality on the whole of course.

I didn't watch todays match, but from knowing his game I think we will be great in possession but carved through like a knife through better off the ball. With Puig as a central midfielder that is. I can't imagine playing a high pressure CL game with Puig starting in central midfield versus EPL teams, PSG, Bayern. For most LaLiga games would be fine, but that is the story of our current squad all around.

Having him higher up the pitch can have has take advantage of what he brings in possession while giving defensive coverage. But again, he will have to prove he provides output in assists. Otherwise he will be that 20-30 Sensi type player who comes on to try and increase the tempo.

serghei

He played as a AM more or less in B team and the pass and move bit he does do as said.

Of course he is instructed to play a certain way. This idea that the coaches are not telling him what to do and are at fault for him playing way he does is clutching.

It is basics he would have been taught all through La Masia of when to press.

But La Masia doesn't have a player like Messi that has a certain freedom. So what you need to do can be altered by certain players that have certain freedoms. I have seen many of our players vacating their positions and applying pressure up front instead of Messi.

This is not something new from Puig.

Normally, the forwards have to press the defenders, if we attempt pressing. Not the CM. So, if Puig does it, then he probably is instructed to do so. Because Messi is either too tired, or just doesn't want to do it.

vegitot

Yes let?s go waste more money on midfielders rather than nourishing
Frenki, Pedri and Puig to be our next Busi, Iniesta and Xavi.

It is 2021 and there is still someone think De Jong is next Busi. Puig has higher chance of next Denis Suarez. Iniesta at his age won Barca a Champion League tittle.

khaled_a_d

Yea, that's where a top manager is supposed to intervene. Running is great, but it needs to be cohesive and shared by other players. I know you don't like him, but I'm hoping we'll see Pedri and Puig under a better manager who plays more pass and move football.

It is his instincts tbf

Look at 1st post in this thread:

normally plays at false 9 with striker Abel Ruiz on the left and winger Jordi Mboula on the right, but he can also play in midfield.

He is naturally an attacking direct player. His instincts is always to move forward

JamDav1982

But La Masia doesn't have a player like Messi that has a certain freedom. So what you need to do can be altered by certain players that have certain freedoms. I have seen many of our players vacating their positions and applying pressure up front instead of Messi.

This is not something new from Puig.

Normally, the forwards have to press the defenders, if we attempt pressing. Not the CM. So, if Puig does it, then he probably is instructed to do so. Because Messi is either too tired, or just doesn't want to do it.

Puig will never be of level he is the player team is built to give freedom to at Barca so comparison with anything related to Messi stops there.

He presses and leaves holes all the time. That is not what he will be instructed to do and not what others do as much either.

Cant blame Messi either as cast majority of time it has nothing to do with Messi and Puig closes down nearest man on ball leaving space. When it is irrelevant who the forward players are.

frostdude1

I love how you ignore that Xavi did not become Xavi until he was around 24-25 and with lots of playing time under his belt. Even Iniesta did not turn into a world beater until about 24-25.
Our core is young and this coming season should be to hand over the team to the youngsters
(Frenkie, Ilaix, Pedri, Puig, Fati, Mingueza) and not have expectations of a fucking treble.
Just let the team grow organically!!

serghei

Puig will never be of level he is the player team is built to give freedom to at Barca so comparison with anything related to Messi stops there.

He presses and leaves holes all the time. That is not what he will be instructed to do and not what others do as much either.

So, him pressing in those situations is, in your opinion, him ignoring Koemans' instructions then, or what?

vegitot

I love how you ignore that Xavi did not become Xavi until he was around 24-25 and with lots of playing time under his belt. Even Iniesta did not turn into a world beater until about 24-25.
Our core is young and this coming season should be to hand over the team to the youngsters
(Frenkie, Ilaix, Pedri, Puig, Fati, Mingueza) and not have expectations of a fucking treble.
Just let the team grow organically!!

Iniesta played a godlike Champion league final game at 22. How dare you compare the Don to Puig???

I love how this is the samething happened to many youngster. Always next Ini, next Xavi... Tell me what happened later.

JamDav1982

So, him pressing in those situations is, in your opinion, him ignoring Koemans' instructions then, or what?

Yes I think he closes down when it would not be in structure of the team and dont believe there is a coach in professional football that would tell a player to press and leave gaps in some of the situations he does.

Have seen him charge out of midifeld to go close defenders when get nowhwere near ball played round him. There is zero chance that type of action comes from coaches.

vegitot

No way to know but he played exactly like this last season under Setien. Run and press like a headless chicken. So it is his style.

Home of Barca Fans