Mavericky Puig

JamDav1982

Would be great to see a stat for his interceptions, I'd bet his number per minute outclasses the rest of the team, just as his key passes, total passes etc. does.
That is a different part of the game than pure 'pressing', but as he is so successful when he gets close to the ball, he can press more and still be useful, compared to other players.

I am not usually a fan of 'Robertson' style rushes to press either, even if it sends a good signal for the Barcelona team of the latest years, but I don't see Puig running meaninglessly, he is smart in his movements.

What stats are you basing his key passes and total passes that 'outclass' the rest of the team?

Puig did a lot of pressing out from midfield on his own vs Vallecano that achieved nothing and unless huge fuck up from opposition wont.

Bobo32

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/372827/Show/Riqui-Puig
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/402197/Show/Pedri
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/279423/Show/Frenkie-de-Jong

I am sure there are better sources for stats, and it's a small sample size, but go into the detailed tab there, and change to 'per 90 minutes' and you can compare the players in 'passes' or 'key passes' for example.
I found the interception stat there as well now, turns out he is only registered as slightly higher than Pedri and much lower than Frenkie... I am doubting these numbers, as I'm sure I've seen him intercept in the league games.

Anyhow, the eye sees more than the stats, best conclusion to draw from these numbers is he is VERY influential when he plays so far, averaging 130 passes per 90 minutes. This is of course influenced by him coming on late, but still.

edit: For those not following the links, Puig has 4,5 key passes per 90 minutes. Messi has 2,5, Frenkie 1,2 and Pedri 1,9
And I am of course sure his stats would be lowered if he played entire games more often...

Last edited:

Joan

These are his total key passes taking into account Liga and the CL. He's got 0 in the league and 5 in three CL matches. Also got 1 in other competitions (Copa and Supercopa).

His real total is 2,3, which is likely to lower further with more minutes as is corrupted by two odd games.

Still promising, but not going to base much on it.

Edit: Pedri's adjusted for Copa and Supercopa 2,0.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I am sure there are better sources for stats, and it's a small sample size, but go into the detailed tab there, and change to 'per 90 minutes' and you can compare the players in 'passes' or 'key passes' for example.
I found the interception stat there as well now, turns out he is only registered as slightly higher than Pedri and much lower than Frenkie... I am doubting these numbers, as I'm sure I've seen him intercept in the league games.

Anyhow, the eye sees more than the stats, best conclusion to draw from these numbers is he is VERY influential when he plays so far, averaging 130 passes per 90 minutes. This is of course influenced by him coming on late, but still.

edit: For those not following the links, Puig has 4,5 key passes per 90 minutes. Messi has 2,5, Frenkie 1,2 and Pedri 1,9
And I am of course sure his stats would be lowered if he played entire games more often...

Cant read anything from stats late in game vs largely against poorer teams or dead minutes to compare to likes of Messi and Pedri playing 90 mins against the far better sides.

Look at Puig last season in league with more minutes and was nowhere near top in passes, key passes, interceptions etc.

Also is doesnt count the supercopa or copa. More or less all about Puigs stats in his CL sub appearances.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Would be great to see a stat for his interceptions, I'd bet his number per minute outclasses the rest of the team, just as his key passes, total passes etc. does.
That is a different part of the game than pure 'pressing', but as he is so successful when he gets close to the ball, he can press more and still be useful, compared to other players.

I am not usually a fan of 'Robertson' style rushes to press either, even if it sends a good signal for the Barcelona team of the latest years, but I don't see Puig running meaninglessly, he is smart in his movements.

Puig, La liga + Cl
100 minutes, 1 interception, 1 tackle
= 50 minutes needed for 1 ball won

Frenkie 2016 minutes, 35 tackles, 30 int
= 31 minutes for 1 ball won

Pedri 1535 minutes, 27 tackles, 14 interceptions
= 37 minutes needed for 1 ball won

I don't even want to check the stats for other players because it's a nonsense.

Little kid is not a ball winner.
He runs around like a puppy, but that's it.

You sound like Riki's dad or manager with these twisting of stats.

Last edited:

vegitot

Puig has 0 key pass in Laliga this season. Only in UCL he has 5.
Last season with over 500 minutes he only got 10 in total, not high. Pedri has 31 this season in Liga till now, 2,3 per 90. Your stats are wrong.

JohnN

Even with the naked eye you can see pedri is superior hunting the ball, or should day he goes more intelligent about it. Puig does run a lot and press hard to compensate for his lack of physical presence compared to the opponents, and it's the right thing for him to do. Without using any stats also, you can spot that pedri seems more secure on the ball, but Puig is kind of anxious of losing it.
That doesn't take anything away from Puigs ultra sharp eye for line cutting passes. That's the way I see both.

Bobo32

I am not twisting any stats, I am presenting them exactly as is, with the ackowledgement of the low sample size and the possibility of confounding effects due to being subbed in late.
I am not sure what you did to adjust down the numbers, please explain in more detail?
In any way, stats is not what really matters, the eye is better.

My eye is very different than yours, I see him as a great presser, and he does win a lot of balls either directly or indirectly.
You see here a few interceptions, very nice game from last season v Athletic:
https://mobile.twitter.com/SampaioKleyton1/status/1275805884602413057
And he is not at all anxious on the ball. He knows when he has "to pass to a full-back, when to hold back. Only few people see that. It's difficult to explain because, nobody understands."

BBZ8800

I am not twisting any stats, I am presenting them exactly as is, with the ackowledgement of the low sample size and the possibility of confounding effects due to being subbed in late.
I am not sure what you did to adjust down the numbers, please explain in more detail?
In any way

1. I open whoscored
2. Open Riki Puig's stats
3. Go to match statistics
4. Click defensive
5. Manually sum how many tackles and interceptions he had. For example:
La Liga: 0+0
CL: 1+1
In total: 1 tackle, 1 interception
6. Then sum his total minutes played in La Liga and a CL: 25+74=99 + lots of injury time, but ok.
7. Now divide 99 minutes with 2 won balls and you get = 49.5 minutes needed for 1 defensive duel won
8. Do the same for other players, let's say Frenkie and Pedri, which I did

This way you get the EXACT stats for a player and not tackles per match (since some players play 90 minutes and some play 10 minutes) and you won't get some weird estimations.

serghei

Even with the naked eye you can see pedri is superior hunting the ball, or should day he goes more intelligent about it. Puig does run a lot and press hard to compensate for his lack of physical presence compared to the opponents, and it's the right thing for him to do. Without using any stats also, you can spot that pedri seems more secure on the ball, but Puig is kind of anxious of losing it.
That doesn't take anything away from Puigs ultra sharp eye for line cutting passes. That's the way I see both.

Yeah. Pedri is better talent. Calmer, more lucid on the ball. Puig is quicker and more dynamic, but this also makes him erratic and jumpy on the ball. I think each would benefit from what the other has. Pedri would need some of Puig's quickness, Puig would need some order and tactical discipline, areas which Pedri is great at.

Both have room to grow even more and both are Barca material imo.

Bobo32

1. I open whoscored
2. Open Riki Puig's stats
3. Go to match statistics
4. Click defensive
5. Manually sum how many tackles and interceptions he had. For example:
La Liga: 0+0
CL: 1+1
In total: 1 tackle, 1 interception
6. Then sum his total minutes played in La Liga and a CL: 25+74=99 + lots of injury time, but ok.
7. Now divide 99 minutes with 2 won balls and you get = 49.5 minutes needed for 1 defensive duel won
8. Do the same for other players, let's say Frenkie and Pedri, which I did

This way you get the EXACT stats for a player and not tackles per match (since some players play 90 minutes and some play 10 minutes) and you won't get some weird estimations.

Yeah you can do it this way or you can do it automatically under detailed (you can pick per 90 or every X minute, which is both better than per game)
I already found out his stats on interceptions are very low to what I thought. Probably this will rise with more minutes while key passes will be lower with more minutes

Joan

Yeah you can do it this way or you can do it automatically under detailed (you can pick per 90 or every X minute, which is both better than per game)
I already found out his stats on interceptions are very low to what I thought. Probably this will rise with more minutes while key passes will be lower with more minutes

Difference being on whoscored you get only 2 competitions (liga and the cl) while most of his apperences took place in the Copa and the SuperCopa.

BarcaOG

Banned
Yeah. Pedri is better talent. Calmer, more lucid on the ball. Puig is quicker and more dynamic, but this also makes him erratic and jumpy on the ball. I think each would benefit from what the other has. Pedri would need some of Puig's quickness, Puig would need some order and tactical discipline, areas which Pedri is great at.

Both have room to grow even more and both are Barca material imo.

pretty spot on take, this

Horatio

You're welcome
For me Pedri has most potential to make it, but at same time feel fortunate we have both Pedri and Puig. Both enjoyable players to watch in their own way and think Puig will improve. Just don?t know how high his ceiling is, but not worrying about that for now.

Home of Barca Fans