Matthijs de Ligt

Leo_Messi

You're saying it's an issue, I'm saying it isn't. I don't really care how quick or slow a CB is, if he's good he can become the world's best anyway.

I'd like to hear som examples.

I said he might be, I can't tell the difference tbh. Piqué probably looks faster because he doesn't look very strong.
Now that I think of it, Piqué usually have bigger problems against strong attackers than pacy ones.

I am saying that it could be an issue which is a very legitimate observation given that (should he arrive) we don't really have any other pacy CB to play next to him. Umtiti in his current state? Nah. Lenglet? Nah. A 32 year old Piqué? Nah, not any longer.

Who said anything about being the world's best or not? It seems that you completely missed my point and the fact that I actually wrote that he is the safest bet out there and that he is my priority despite preferring Ibrahima Konaté stylistically. Just a "minor" detail.

Or maybe I should just proclaim that he is perfect as he is and that he has nothing to improve on or no weaknesses?

Is this serious? Boateng when he was at his best. Puyol. Cannavaro. Ferdinand. Pepe. Tons of examples.

Today VVD. Ibrahima Konaté. The afromentioned Varane. Manolas. Ramos was/is rather quick too. Just on top of my head.

You are arguing as if I was against us buying de Ligt or not rating him just because I only see his pace and acceleration as his SOLE weakness in an ideal world.
Strange stuff.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Having a CB that's stylistically close to VVD like Konaté would obviously be great, but I doubt it'll happen and I don't see him leaving Leipzig anytime soon. They're ready to launch their grand plan from this summer with Nagelsmann and he's on a long contract with no release clause meaning they won't sell unless you shatter the WR fee for a CB.

Umtiti - de Ligt/Lenglet is a great CB duo.

We can revisit the Konaté option in 1-2 years if Umtiti's knee gets worse and we end up moving on from him.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Having a CB that's stylistically close to VVD like Konaté would obviously be great, but I doubt it'll happen and I don't see him leaving Leipzig anytime soon. They're ready to launch their grand plan from this summer with Nagelsmann and he's on a long contract with no release clause meaning they won't sell unless you shatter the WR fee for a CB.

Umtiti - de Ligt/Lenglet is a great CB duo.

We can revisit the Konaté option in 1-2 years if Umtiti's knee gets worse and we end up moving on from him.

I don't follow Barça sources but is it true Bartomeu said he will do ev erything he can to bring de Ligt, with a meeting scheduled in March with Ajax ?

If the report is true, i think it is fair to conclude the transfer done. All the sides want the deal.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't follow Barça sources but is it true Bartomeu said he will do ev erything he can to bring de Ligt, with a meeting scheduled in March with Ajax ?

If the report is true, i think it is fair to conclude the transfer done. All the sides want the deal.

He said Barcelona will finish their plan for the next season this month and will finalize their transfer targets too. He said de Ligt is an option, but that they're currently still not finished their planning.

Todibo is playing as a DM right now and they'll probably wait to see how Umtiti's knee does before going for de Ligt.

Pepe Silvia

Sounds like we're gonna do the ol' 'we're waiting for the player to show a step towards Barca' similar to Rabiot before making any serious committments towards the Dutchie.

Havesaks

Crazy that he jumps higher than anyone when he’s going for headers in both boxes

ment like an counter-argument that he isnt heavy?

But i think if he goes to Barca our fitness coaches should slim him down, to make him more flexible, mobile and quicker. Unlike players like Dembele, he is probably willing to change his habits to make him best suited for barca.

Havesaks

He was always on the heavy side. That's just the way his body is built

[youtube]hmi-FaWivh4[/youtube]

They called him dikkie ( Funny slang for the word fatty) in the Youth Academy.
When he debuted for Ajax (2 years ago). He had a personal trainer to work on this.

But for a big dude i think he's quite fast. A move to a top competition shouldn't be a problem for him. It will only will make him better.

Forgot to answer. He doesnt really look big, just heavy as i wrote to another user. But yea maybe its a bit like Kun, who also by some people has been considered "big", put is pretty ripped. "Dikkie" is coolest nickname i have heard in a while, a way cuter and better version of the german word "dicker". if we sign him can moderator here make that as his middlename/nick?

Magyarkhan

Forgot to answer. He doesnt really look big, just heavy as i wrote to another user. But yea maybe its a bit like Kun, who also by some people has been considered "big", put is pretty ripped. "Dikkie" is coolest nickname i have heard in a while, a way cuter and better version of the german word "dicker". if we sign him can moderator here make that as his middlename/nick?

I think he is ok now, it wont hurt Barca to have a tank leader in the back where enemies dont like to mess with.... i believe more in a mix of attributes instead of all of the same guys, although it makes me wonder what 10 Messi-like players would do in one team.

Havesaks

I think he is ok now, it wont hurt Barca to have a tank leader in the back where enemies dont like to mess with.... i believe more in a mix of attributes instead of all of the same guys, although it makes me wonder what 10 Messi-like players would do in one team.

May be true, hard to tell when he hasnt played for us yet. But im not saying he should slim down like a Pique, just a little bit in his upper body and work with his explosiveness. Buy you are right, in Valverde football world, without a high backline, its not that important. Espcially with a pacy rb as semedo at his side, and for that matter also alba on the lb.

Andresito

Staff member
I am saying that it could be an issue which is a very legitimate observation given that (should he arrive) we don't really have any other pacy CB to play next to him. Umtiti in his current state? Nah. Lenglet? Nah. A 32 year old Piqué? Nah, not any longer.

Who said anything about being the world's best or not? It seems that you completely missed my point and the fact that I actually wrote that he is the safest bet out there and that he is my priority despite preferring Ibrahima Konaté stylistically. Just a "minor" detail.

Or maybe I should just proclaim that he is perfect as he is and that he has nothing to improve on or no weaknesses?

Is this serious? Boateng when he was at his best. Puyol. Cannavaro. Ferdinand. Pepe. Tons of examples.

Today VVD. Ibrahima Konaté. The afromentioned Varane. Manolas. Ramos was/is rather quick too. Just on top of my head.

You are arguing as if I was against us buying de Ligt or not rating him just because I only see his pace and acceleration as his SOLE weakness in an ideal world.
Strange stuff.

Alright.

I agree it's a weakness of his, but it's minor. Could compare him to Busquets. Would I want him to have better pace? Of course, but the perfect player doesn't exist.
de Ligt together with Umtiti/Lenglet is a great combination in my book.

Most of those you mentioned are just above average fast or not good enough overall.
And as I said that doesn't make a difference for a CB, you're either VERY fast or you'll have to compensate for your lack of pace with good positioning.

I don't think we'll get much further.
In conclusion: IDGAF how slow a CB is if he's great at every other aspect, people shouldn't be concerned about pace, this isn't FIFA.

Home of Barca Fans