Martin Odegaard

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Real Madrid?s football directors and business executives beat ours hands down, any day of the week.

Talk to Perez and hire some of them.

El Gato

Villarato!
Not current one, of course. But I compared him to the pre-Nainggolan Rafinha, who was pretty promising and had a great season at Celta, quality-wise close to that of Odegaard at Sociedad.

And you did that based on 2 numbers. Yeah.

What's Nainggolan got to do with it

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
And you did that based on 2 numbers. Yeah.

What's Nainggolan got to do with it

Not really. Their key metrics like key passes and dribbles are pretty similar too.

Regarding Nainggolan, I mentioned him because you are comparing Odegaard and Rafinha with retrospective knowledge. Rafinha had been pretty hyped at La Masia and had had a great season at Celta, worse but comparable to Odegaard's situation. Nainggolan injured Rafinha's ACL or something with a nasty tackle in 2015, after which Rafinha has never been the same and became very injury-prone.

El Gato

Villarato!
Wait.
Rafinha.
The player who is now 28?
And we're comparing this dude because before someone crocked him he put up similar numbers for a Celta side in 13/14(!) where they ended 10 points above relegation zone?

Why not take any other player from any relegation candidate with 4 goals and 5 assists?

Ridiculous argument.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
The player who is now 28?
And we're comparing this dude because before someone crocked him he put up similar numbers for a Celta side in 13/14(!) where they ended 10 points above relegation zone?

Why does it matter that Rafinha is now 28? We are comparing Odegaard to Rafinha when he was the same age. Celta finished 9th that season, hardly a relegation candidate.

Why not take any other player from any relegation candidate with 4 goals and 5 assists?

My argument was that Odegaard is the better player compared to "peak" Rafinha pre 2015, but not by much. Odegaard impressed for a Sociedad side that finished 6th in La Liga, joint on points with Granada who were 7th. Rafinha impressed for a Celta side that finished 9th in La Liga, equal on points with 8th-place Valencia. Pretty close performances and hardly a ridiculous comparison.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Why does it matter that Rafinha is now 28? We are comparing Odegaard to Rafinha when he was the same age. Celta finished 9th that season, hardly a relegation candidate.

Absolutely a relegation candidate. They were a promoted side who finished in 17th season prior and La Liga back then had 40 points difference between 1st and 10th. EL mid-table candidates were closer to relegation than to 2nd or even 3rd place.

Terrible comparison. Two players playing for teams with vastly different targets, styles and squads tailored to meet different needs.

Besides again, why not bring up any player with better stats who lead a relegation candidate? You'd find some easily. Why do you think we don't do that?

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Two players playing for teams with vastly different targets, styles and squads tailored to meet different needs.

I don't remember LE's Celta well enough, so I'll trust you on that one. Don't think that Rafinha and Odegaard are that different stylistically, however. Both are left-footed CAMs/attacking CMs who can play as right midfielders, which is why I made the comparison initially.

I could be wrong though... maybe Odegaard isn't even as good as Denis Suarez ;)

El Gato

Villarato!
Yes. That's why Suarez went to post-Wenger Arsenal and played like 10 minutes spread over 10 games, while the other has to proverbially mute notifications on his phone because of how much they want him back.

Y'all can do better trolling than that lol

And TBH there are legitimate comparisons that don't make Odegaard look like some madlad talent. 28-year old Bartomeu era youth rejects aren't that.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
My comment about Denis Suarez was a joke, guy is a EL level bench player at most. Odegaard, however, is starting material.

Besides again, why not bring up any player with better stats who lead a relegation candidate? You'd find some easily. Why do you think we don't do that?

Mainly because I haven't looked up the stats of players playing in the same position in 19/20. If I had, trust me, I would not pass on an opportunity to make a shitpost that Odegaard isn't even better than Canales or something. Because I don't rate the guy. If he is as good as they say, I will take my L.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Tier 1 AM/CM talents: Zidane, Xaviesta, Modrić, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Kaka, Seedorf, Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, KdB + arguably Bruno, Grealish, Pedri
If they could be bothered, tier 1: Guti, Riquelme, Ronaldinho, Deco, Ozil, Pogba
Anyone sane would have them if could and can have BDO level season, tier 3: Sneijder, Coutinho, Cazorla, Eriksen, Thiago, Di Maria, James, Nedved (yea still up there in midfield) + potentially Mount, Llorente
Good player to have, tier 4: Isco, Van der Vaart, Reyes, Kovacić, Ramsey, Wijnaldum, Milner, Rosicky, Nasri, Park Ji-Sung, Stanković, Rakitić + likes of Fekir, Saul, Koke who turn up when you need them to
Overrated, stay away, tier 5: Wilshere, Aquilani, Tiago, Giovinco, J. Baptista

ATM Odegaard is easily a Tier 3 potential. If keeps it up, he'll move from Arsenal around time he's 27 and could have a Modrić career arc without issue. Folk that think there's a difference between players at 3 and 1 are deluded anyway. Lots of them do exactly what Modrić and Lamps did, they grow into it. Technique is there, Odegaard just needs assertiveness and managing own career standards. Not surprising to hear conversation go towards the other end since he's downgrading clubs and not expressing resentment, but 90% of the folk tracking the saga calling him a pussy or mediocre are ridiculous.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Isco was definitely a tier above ?degaard when he was at Malaga.

I think ?degaard has a chance to make a bigger jump in a few years, but I fear he'll face the same problems the likes of James do. My comparison for him in Norway as James Rodriguez.

Not convinced he can play as a CM/Attacking CM and he isn't quick enough to be a winger unless he plays a role like Bernardo Silva. Kinda stuck in between like a James, Coutinho and players like that.

KingLeo10

Just dropping by to say: El "folk tales" Gato.

On a more serious note, that's a decently accurate appraisal of talents. Not sure I'd have R10 in the assessment though, or maybe it's only an assessment of his attributes as an AM.

Home of Barca Fans