Martin Braithwaite

JamDav1982

Greizmann nicked some goals playing as ST in a couple of matches but I still wouldnt play him there over the course of an entire season especially when he turn 30 in some months time.

Even in those games where he played there his positioning was frustration because his first instinct is to always drop deep in the same space Messi operates in. His positioning, lack of physique and aggression is not good enough. He is a powder puff. A flower.

I?ve seen enough from Braithwaite to convince me he could work as the sole 9, not that I want him to be a starter here but compared to Greizmann I would start him right now. He at least has the athleticism, pace, aggression to function effectively there and I?m sure he could score goals with more playing time.

But like I said, We MUST sell Cou and Griezmann. Whatever system Koeman uses 4-3-3 4-2-3-1 or worse a 4-4-2, there is no place for either of them because Messi will start for sure along with an actual striker, which is final piece missing.

If it is Griezmann v Braithwaite there is no contest.

One has had top performances as a forward and at times as main CF... the other never has and is a champioship level player who has never performed to any level as a forward or CF/No.9.

Braithwaite should be sold/loaned as soon as possible. Worst player in squad.

Griezmann as well if same as last season but if choice of two then it is easy decision who plays.

jairzinho

For the choice of starting CF right now. Greizmann vs Braithwaite for me I would pick Braithwaite. Everything depends on how you view the game. Ultimately you will have to ask yourself which player has the right characteristics to fit the system. And then what do want from in a 9? Movement, speed, aggression, athleticism, power. What does an almost 30 old Greizmann offer in relation to any of those areas?

Of course most would pick Greizmann in a heartbeat because its Greizmann. Does he have the physical attributes to function there? Most fans could care less about that. Before joining Barca, Simeone and Deschamps never played him at CF, Because they happen to know more about football than us fans. You hate on Braithwaite a lot and I don?t blame you but personally for me I would play him over Antoine as a ST and I rest my case on that.

JamDav1982

For the choice of starting CF right now. Greizmann vs Braithwaite for me I would pick Braithwaite. Everything depends on how you view the game. Ultimately you will have to ask yourself which player has the right characteristics to fit the system. And then what do want from in a 9? Movement, speed, aggression, athleticism, power. What does an almost 30 old Greizmann offer in relation to any of those areas?

Of course most would pick Greizmann in a heartbeat because its Greizmann. Does he have the physical attributes to function there? Most fans could care less about that. Before joining Barca, Simeone and Deschamps never played him at CF, Because they happen to know more about football than us fans. You hate on Braithwaite a lot and I don?t blame you but personally for me I would play him over Antoine as a ST and I rest my case on that.

Can go round in circles but no coach is choosing Braithwaite ahead of Griezmann, Messi or Depay at CF so no point worrying about it.

jairzinho

Can go round in circles but no coach is choosing Braithwaite ahead of Griezmann, Messi or Depay at CF so no point worrying about it.

Correction: Most coaches would. Most fans and video game players wouldnt. Look at it this way. You would never ever see Barca play with the likes of Henderson or Milner in midfield or at one time even Wijnaldum or Matuidi for that matter. Why? They are not flamboyant enough. If you or most fans had to choose between any of them and Coutinho you would pick Cou any day of the week.

But for a coach like Klopp. It?s more about the system. Technical qualities mean little if you don?t have a proper system in place. Once you have a proper shape and tactics that then you buy players to fit and play certain roles. Different players play different roles and so on.

Richard.H

Correction: Most coaches would. Most fans and video game players wouldnt. Look at it this way. You would never ever see Barca play with the likes of Henderson or Milner in midfield or at one time even Wijnaldum or Matuidi for that matter. Why? They are not flamboyant enough. If you or most fans had to choose between any of them and Coutinho you would pick Cou any day of the week.

But for a coach like Klopp. It?s more about the system. Technical qualities mean little if you don?t have a proper system in place. Once you have a proper shape and tactics that then you buy players to fit and play certain roles. Different players play different roles and so on.

I can somewhat see where you're coming from and you make good points. However, we have rarely hired managers post Pep who rely 100 % on the system. I remember when Pep had his critics here for playing the likes of Cuenca and Tello a lot because they fit the system, or choosing to go with Busi over Yaya Toure.

I don't think Koeman is a system manager, and therefore he will probably play the star players/reputation players over ones who you think would be better for whatever system you want implemented. It's interesting to see how the attacking order will change if we sign Depay. Fati needs minutes too, and he looks far better than Brathwaite.

JamDav1982

Klopp would have Griezmann CF every day of week before a championship player like Braithwaite.

Every top coach would.

Slevinn

Braithwaite also played a lot on the left, just like Depay. They can both play there or as a striker and no coach will ever prefer Braithwaite over Depay. Not on the left and not as a striker.
And that doesn?t say much about Depay. It?s just that Braithwaite is really bad and is a Leganes level of player.

ryuken

Griezman is bad but this man is just a waste of money, comparing them is just moot. He should never be a Barca player to begin with.

Porque

Should never have cancelled the Bakambu deal at the 11th hour and got this guy for almost 20m.

If we can somehow recoup that money then sell him. But it is still nice to have an Origi/Chupa Chip Mopeng B option on the bench. Braithwaite is that guy for us right now, so if we weren't going to replace the role then keep him for those times of desperation when we go 2 up top.

Andresito

Staff member
The issue isn't his playing style. It's good to have one like that on the bench.

The problem is his level. He's just not good enough. It's reasonable to overlook level to some extent if other abilites are valuable, like in Henderson's case.

But Braithwaite is too far from Barca level. I don't even know if he's top 100 in the world in his position.

fergus90

this must of been the guy messi was referring to when he said "plugging holes"

Aleix Vidal
Gomes
Muirillo
Gomes
Boateng
Braithwaite
Semedo
Denis Suarez
Malcom
Paulinho
Turan
Arthur
Griezmann

Could all fit that description, Paulinho of course was okay considering his low expectations. The rest are gone within 1 or 2 years/have not been up to the standard required/or just a bad fit.

hardyboy

Aleix Vidal
Gomes
Muirillo
Gomes
Boateng
Braithwaite
Semedo
Denis Suarez
Malcom
Paulinho
Turan
Arthur
Griezmann

Could all fit that description, Paulinho of course was okay considering his low expectations. The rest are gone within 1 or 2 years/have not been up to the standard required/or just a bad fit.

You forgot Douglas and Yerri Mina

Home of Barca Fans