Maradona or Messi

Maradona or Messi

• Total voters

La LL

Generally Delightful
It's beyond me why so many picked Messi over Maradona.

I mean he has all it takes to become even bigger than Maradona.... but currently El Diego is the top.

La LL

Generally Delightful
yea abut it's blasphemous to even dare think of trying to compare el diego's contributions to Barca to Messi's.

True but this thread is not just about their contributions to Barca. It's about who is the bigger and currently that has to be El Diego.

I mean Maradona was three things: A leader, a very physical/bossy player, a one man army.

Currently Messi embodies the later and even then his struggles with the NT is what keeps him down. Yes the team is shite, yes the previous coaches sucked... but Maradona almost single-handedly managed to lift a heavily mediocre NT to new heights.

For Messi to do that he needs to be the three things above. There's still time.

nebeer

Love is All
True but this thread is not just about their contributions to Barca. It's about who is the bigger and currently that has to be El Diego.

I mean Maradona was three things: A leader, a very physical/bossy player, a one man army.

Currently Messi embodies the later and even then his struggles with the NT is what keeps him down. Yes the team is shite, yes the previous coaches sucked... but Maradona almost single-handedly managed to lift a heavily mediocre NT to new heights.

For Messi to do that he needs to be the three things above. There's still time.

No doubt we are talking about the 2 very best players of all time. Maradona in his days didn't have someone before him that he had to match, surpass or live up to. But Messi has this added pressure of being compared to El Diego himself. And in an Argentina shirt, it becomes even harder as to Argentines, El Diego is nothing short of a god. So when you are as young as Messi, and you must match what Diego did, and in the singlehanded manner he did, the pressure can be even more immense. Though finally, I think Messi will rise. He needs to come to accept that the defense of his team might have holes, the midfield might not work and in the World Cup the games can go very wrong because of bad managerial calls, in spite of all these, overcoming everything, he must lift that World Cup. Yes, this does sound kind of superhumanic, but that's what he is. In the ultimate analysis, Messi would be ahead of El Diego.

Home of Barca Fans