Luis Suárez

Richard.H

Haaland is only one CL goal away from matching Suarez's CL goal tally. 26 vs 27. Never realized how low impact Suarez was in the CL.

Andresito

Staff member
Yeah 27 goals, 25 assists in 73 games is straight up bad for a CF of Suarez' calibre.

Haaland in comparison has 26 goals, 3 assists in 21 games.

Temptation

He escapes a lot of deserved criticism because he's Messi's best friend and Messi fans come to defend Suarez on social media all the time.

People vilify forwards for one bad game in group stage but tolerated this guy not scoring an away goal for 6 years. Make it make sense.

Andresito

Staff member
He escapes a lot of deserved criticism because he's Messi's best friend and Messi fans come to defend Suarez on social media all the time.

People vilify forwards for one bad game in group stage but tolerated this guy not scoring an away goal for 6 years. Make it make sense.

He was highly criticized for it what are you talking about. It was always brought up both ahead of an away game and after.

Temptation

He was highly criticized for it what are you talking about. It was always brought up both ahead of an away game and after.

The scrutiny is way too less for that bad a record for that long a time span. Many Footballers would be slaughtered in the media for that. Seems like the media didn't care about it coz of the lack of clicks it got them.

This is why you see some people totally surprised "Never realised how low impact Suarez was in the CL".....not nearly talked about enough.

Andresito

Staff member
The scrutiny is way too less for that bad a record for that long a time span. Many Footballers would be slaughtered in the media for that. Seems like the media didn't care about it coz of the lack of clicks it got them.

This is why you see some people totally surprised "Never realised how low impact Suarez was in the CL".....not nearly talked about enough.

What do you want media to do? It was even brought up so often that the effect even wore down.

Temptation

What do you want media to do? It was even brought up so often that the effect even wore down.

I'm just saying that the fan's cut him a lot of slack in this regard.....

So much so that many fans are surprised that he has such a CL record.

For me, it doesn't surprise me coz I saw him ghosting against the big PL teams at Liverpool almost every time.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

Casual fans are not arsed enough to watch La Liga and Barca other than El Clasico games and a couple of CL matches, so they don't know how awful Suarez could be on a bad day. Complete donkey. Fantastic striker still.

On this forum though Suarez was public enemy no2 after Rakitic in 2016-2020, and deservedly so :lol:

Temptation

Casual fans are not arsed enough to watch La Liga and Barca other than El Clasico games and a couple of CL matches, so they don't know how awful Suarez could be on a bad day. Complete donkey. Fantastic striker still.

On this forum though Suarez was public enemy no2 after Rakitic in 2016-2020, and deservedly so :lol:

Ok I wasn't on this forum back then so I'll trust you on this.

My point regarding the general public and fans still stands though but like you said "Casual fans" probably....

KingLeo10

No matter the player or situation, Temp thinks Messi fans had something to do with it.

When in fact, many Messi fans were ripping Suarez on this forum (myself included) for not being good help for Messi in the CL post 2017, especially during those 2 EV years.

Messi had 9 CL KO goals in 10 games under EV, while Suarez had like 2 or 3. That is bad news for a 4-4-2 setup.

Fantastic striker in his prime, but he spent a lot of his pre-prime and prime years not competing in the CL too (With Pool)

khaled_a_d

According to TM Suarez played 5 CL total before Barca, he was 27 (3 months away from 28) when he played first CL games with Barca.
And after 2 or 3 years, he had massive decline. He seems like one of those players who had very low natural metabolism since late 20's and looked really fat for a player of his caliber (maybe he was lazy too)
Those 27 goals is bad, but perspective is also needed

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans