Luis Enrique

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
That is my opinion, teams already have figured out how we play. Ok maybe not equally bad, but no world beater for sure

Ancelotti real still would beat us

The season of 09/10, people said the same thing when we went out against Mourinho's Inter. Barca have been figured out, they said. Then what happened? We won the double, including beating Mou's parked bus of Madrid. Every single team hated going up against us. The team of that era is hailed as one of the greatest sides in football history, and you don't think that side would beat Ancelotti's Madrid? I beg to differ.

BBZ8800

The more i look at current Barca the more it looks like what it was under Van Gaal. A lot of talented players, who would objectively ought to bring good results, but zilch. And i can't fathom if the players or coach are at fault. Van Gaal was shit at Barca even though he had all the freedom and talent he could get. Now the same thing. It just seems that there are some magical combinations of coaches and players that simply work and some other that do not, regardless of quality of either.

First Van Gaal's era was successful.

He won 2 La liga titles in his 3 Seasons here.
Lucho will never win La Liga title, so there isn't any sense to comparing Van Gaal with Lucho.

2nd Van Gaal's spell here was horrible.
That spell could be compared with Lucho's.

We were even worse back then, but again, we didn't have Messi.
Even this team without Messi, and only with Lucho and current players without Messi can easily drop to 5th, 8th or 10th place with Lucho's coaching.

Andrew M

And you think, hamad, Chelsea in 2012 beat us because teams had worked us out too?

Not to do with teams figuring us out, we're just no where near as good as before.

The way Chelsea beat us in 2005 is essentially the way teams have played us ever since

R

Ryu Hayabusa

And you think, hamad, Chelsea in 2012 beat us because teams had worked us out too?

Not to do with teams figuring us out, we're just no where near as good as before.

Chelsea beat you because they always beat you with the exception of the Øvrebø match.

The way Chelsea beat us in 2005 is essentially the way teams have played us ever since

If by "essentially" you mean "excluding many classicos and a certain tie in 2013" then yes.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Bayern played classical counter attack in 2013. Nothing special.

I'm getting the feeling you really don't know much about football if you call that "classical counter attacking".

Classical counter attacking is the Chelsea/Italian way of doing things and involves a bus and broken bones.

Andrew M

It was counter attack, done very well. I am not endeavoring to diminish that Bayern's achievements, but you did not reinvent the wheel on how to face us.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
"Counter-attacking" :lol:

I think only Barca held more possession than Bayern that season.

I guess you're only basing it on that CL semi and haven't watched Bayern much.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

It was counter attack, done very well. I am not endeavoring to diminish that Bayern's achievements, but you did not reinvent the wheel on how to face us.

Listening to you, one would think Dortmund played the same football in recent years as Chelshit, cause Bayern essentially played against Barca how Dortmund used to play against Bayern. I guess you have watched Dortmund on several occasions in the past and thus I'm hopeful that you gain awareness of your misbelief on your own.

BBZ8800

He didn't give any ''births''. Xavi and Puyol weren't particularly ''promoted'' by Van Gal. Barca played attractive football ever since Cruiff, so obviously, he had no choice but to give in to that philosophy. Barca was absolutely dismantled by every other ''strongclub'' in Champion's League. They were owned by likes of Milan, MU and Bayern at the time and couldn't get out of their CL groups, because of loses to likes of Dynamo Kyiev. Have you forgotten 0:4 against Dynamo in Camp Nou? People really forget their past quickly, when ''golden ages'' like 2009-11 happen.

edit: and i didn't say van gal = shit, you strawmaning ****

Hmm, hard to tell.
He won 2 La Ligas in 3 Seasons.

Champions league?
-- in a Season 97-98, only 24 teams played in group stage
-- 6 groups with 4 teams
-- further, only a winner was going through, and 2 best 2nd placed teams

Barca was in a group with Dynamo Kiev, Newcastle and Psv
-- we played 1:0 and 2:3 vs Newcastle
-- 2:2 and 2:2 versus Psv
-- and 0:3 and 0:4 versus Dynamo Kiev

-- but Kiev had the best young player in the world, Shevchenko
-- plus Rebrov in attack

That year was poor, true.
-- but he won La Liga and played bad in CL

Season 98-99:
-- he won La Liga, and in Champions league:
-- we were in a group with Man. Utd and Bayern (future finalists) and Brondby
-- so, groups were much harder than today, when you play against Psg, Ajax and Hapoel

-- we played:
-- Man. Utd (future winner) 3:3 and 3:3
-- Bayern (future finalist) 1:2 and 0:1 (not much different than against Bayern in recent years)
-- Brondby 2:0, 2:0
-- we finished 3rd in a group and we were knocked out

1999-2000 Season:
-- we finished 2nd in La Liga behind Deportivo
-- and we played very good in CL:
-- Arsenal 1:1, 4:2
-- Fiorentina 4:2, 3:3
-- Aik 5:0, 2:1

-- 2nd group stage:
-- Porto 4:2, 2:0
-- Hertha 3:1, 1:1
-- Sparta Prague 5:0, 2:1

Quarterfinals:
-- Barca:Chelsea 1:3, 5:1

Semifinals:
-- Barcelona:Valencia 1:4, 2:1

All in all, Van Gaal won 2 La Ligas in 3 Seasons, and we played extremely attacking and beautiful.
It was a football to fell in love with.

In Champions league we were poor/average, but then again, we were crap in CL always since 1994 (Crujff) till 2005 and 2006 (Rijkaard).

We were a team that always played attacking and beautiful, but never won anything.
We became winners with Rijkaard, Ronaldinho and young Messi.

So, again saying that Lucho is like Van Gaal doesn't make any sense.
Lucho has the best player in history, Messi, to save his ass. And we still play like crap.

Wait for 5-6-7 years when Messi won't play in Barcelona anymore.
Then you will realize how hard is to win CL titles without Messi, and we will probably become the same old Barca as always.
We will play beautiful, but not good enough to win CL.

In shorter, you have to be really "special" to be able not to win either La Liga or Champions league, even though you have Messi in your team.

Last edited:

Andrew M

"Counter-attacking" :lol:

I think only Barca held more possession than Bayern that season.

I guess you're only basing it on that CL semi and haven't watched Bayern much.

The origin of this debate is whether or not teams know how to face us or whether the team is suffering ennui.

I was talking about Bayern's tactics in that single tie against us. This wasn't an appraisal of Heynckes's Bayern as a whole. Why would that be relevant? :rolleyes:

Don't comment unless you have read all the comments prior

Listening to you, one would think Dortmund played the same football in recent years as Chelshit, cause Bayern essentially played against Barca how Dortmund used to play against Bayern. I guess you have watched Dortmund on several occasions in the past and thus I'm hopeful that you gain awareness of your misbelief on your own.

At the Allianz you let us have the ball and, as soon as we lost it, hit us on the break.

You had a clear strategy of how to play us that derived from any previous success other teams had against us.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

I want to know more about van gaal barca. Was they really that bad?

No, it wasn't

Again, it was extremely beautiful Barca's team. Something like Rijkaard's or Pep's Barca.
Extremely attacking and beautiful.

In fact, slightly too attacking.
We were trashing minor La liga teams easily, but we had problems in Champions league because we played too attacking (343 with Dl-Dc-Dr defense)

Here are some videos from that era, you will see that we played really well, like in current golden days.
Man. Utd:Barca 3:3, first round group stage:

++ You can see Lucho here, with a number 21, lol

Barca:Man. Utd 3:3

I would change the current Barca for that Barca right away.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans