Lliga | Round 7: Sevilla - FC Barcelona 2-1

utility73

By far the worst problem are is our back line, especially CB position. Coming January this has be to sorted out before anyhting else.
We need at least two top CBs as we cannot count on Piqué getting back in form or Vermaelen to stay injury free for more than a few matches for once.
Getting a backup for Alba and a decent RB would be nice as well but there is only so much you can do and the CBs haven been by far our weakest link this season.

dakt

Couldn't follow the match since I was on the conference, but I can't say I'm surprised by the loss. No matter how we played today (bad luck, bad form, etc) we need to find our style w/o Messi. Post Messi era can start sooner than we think.
It's far, far from the state of despair, especially knowing that we usually start the season on the left foot. Plus we have Arda and Vidal coming in Jan.

Emery was brilliant with his tactics: he knew our left side of the defense is weak, with Pique underperforming; he overpacked the right side of the pitch and began the counter there and fed the ball from there to capitalize. In fact we have been conceeding goals from the left so much this year. The weakness is not the players but lucho's poor tactics. He's just very dependable upon Messi like the rest of our players. Also we lacked balance in our team. Mathieu, Busquets (always out of position) were just below their standard. If Lucho seriously wants to think of winning the triple again then he should focus on defense rather than attacking because without MESSI our attacking is just not complete.

Waiting for January. Badly.

raskolnikov

Emery was brilliant with his tactics: he knew our left side of the defense is weak, with Pique underperforming; he overpacked the right side of the pitch and began the counter there and fed the ball from there to capitalize. In fact we have been conceeding goals from the left so much this year. The weakness is not the players but lucho's poor tactics. He's just very dependable upon Messi like the rest of our players. Also we lacked balance in our team. Mathieu, Busquets (always out of position) were just below their standard. If Lucho seriously wants to think of winning the triple again then he should focus on defense rather than attacking because without MESSI our attacking is just not complete.

You are giving Emery too much credits, Sevilla was just extremely lucky, nothing more to it.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Can't say I'm surprised.

I know what you mean but did you see the match?
I am disappointed with few individual performances but Barca deserved to win this match when you look at all goalscoring opportunities.
Mathieu needs a slap in the face, Munir was useless but rest of the team did ok and if it hadn't been for few hit posts or goalkeeper bravados we would have walked away with 3 points.

You are giving Emery too much credits, Sevilla was just extremely lucky, nothing more to it.

Football is not a game of chance or luck. It all depends on those 11 players play and what they can achieve with the ball (Also tactics being another crucial factor). As a ardent follower of FC Barcelona,and a neutral admirer of this sport; I respect Emery and his methods of neutralizing Barca.

Let's admit, we were poor today. And move on.

serghei

We'll be fine as long as Madrid mess up as well. If Madrid start racking up the wins, we need to do the same or we'll fall back by january. Ideally, we should really win our games up to the clasico. If I'm not wrong, I think he have 4 home games and two away games by then. It's like HOME, AWAY, HOME, AWAY, HOME, HOME, clasico. And the away games are against weak teams. The only tricky game should be the one against Villareal, but at home we should win that. We should really win 18 points up until to the clasico.

Kuchi

If one thing, emery's subs totally killed sevilla in the 2nd half. Luck and keeper saves, that was it today

Galning

I know what you mean but did you see the match?
I am disappointed with few individual performances but Barca deserved to win this match when you look at all goalscoring opportunities.
Mathieu needs a slap in the face, Munir was useless but rest of the team did ok and if it hadn't been for few hit posts or goalkeeper bravados we would have walked away with 3 points.

Yes I agree, we should have won. But the general level of play was pretty bad in my opinion and let's not forget Sevilla is nowhere near their usual level either. And it's not like it's just only this game.

serghei

Yea, but at this point in the season, it's important to stay close to RM and maybe Atletico (if they win/draw tomorrow). I think we'll play better, and that Lucho will fix things with time. If we win the next 6 games, we're sitting well, points-wise and we can play the clasico with confidence and without the pressure of falling back in comparison with Madrid. We can use these easier games lined up for us in the next period to really rack up the wins. Let's not forget that last season we lost points as well, and quite a few.

Last edited:

Galning

Yea, but at this point in the season, it's important to stay close to RM and maybe Atletico (if they win/draw tomorrow). I think we'll play better, and that Lucho will fix things with time. If we win the next 6 games, we're sitting well, points-wise and we can play the clasico with confidence and without the pressure of falling back in comparison with Madrid. We can use these easier games lined up for us in the next period to really rack up the wins. Let's not forget that last season we lost points as well, and quite a few.

Totally, I'm not concerned at all right now. If last season learnt us anything it's that titles are won after Christmas.

serghei

Totally, I'm not concerned at all right now. If last season learnt us anything it's that titles are won after Christmas.

Yes, with the condition to stay close to the leader until Christmas. If you give yourself a mountain to climb in the 2nd part of the season, that's not good either.

BBZ8800

You are too optimistic.

Our last 6 matches are:
Roma 1:1
Levante 4:1
Celta 1:4
Las Palmas 2:1
Bayer 2:1
Sevilla 1:2

-- so, in the last 6 matches (3 with Messi), we have 3 wins and 3 matches where we haven't won.
Also, out of 6 matches, in those 3 wins, only one was a convincing win (Levante 4:1).
Against Las Palmas we weren't good, and against Bayer we won in the last 10 Minutes.

Now, add to this that we lost even Messi and Iniesta, and who knows what else will happen in upcoming weeks.
So, this team is not used at all to play (well) without Messi.
Our opponents aren't too strong, but still, for a win we will need at least 1-2 goals per match and 0-1 goals conceded per match.
With our current form, motivation, injuries, playing without Messi, crippled midfield, it is highly likely that we will mess up in the attack (scoring at least 1-2 goals per match) or in defense (conceding 0-1 per match) at least once out of 6 attempts prior to el classico.
I wouldn't be surprised if we mess up even more than once in these 6 matches.

Plus, we have some important CL matches also and Lucho will surely do some strange subs in some (La Liga) matches, which will make it harder even more.

Home of Barca Fans