Lliga | Round 30: Sevilla CF - FC Barcelona 0-0

Zebulun

Setian should be questioned for his subs. we had problems in every line today. suarez looked far from match fit, Rakitic and Busquets did okay defensively but created little to no chances. Vidal pressed and tackled but was a disaster positionally and stifled semedo in the second half. its really messed up that sevilla had more clear cut chances to win this game than us.
yes brathwaite worked hard so i understand why he took him off, but arthur? that was a bad call IMO. he replaced our only vertical player with a player that slows down the game, when we needed a goal. part of the reason was to stop them from countering but it literally killed our attack. i dont understand how suarez played all game and wasnt replaced by fati. dont understand why puig was sent on in the dying mins.

Last edited:

Altomonte

I agree with most comments but want to at least acknowledge that we did not concede a goal in 3 matches. Our defense has improved but we could not penetrate Sevilla's defense. The way they planned for Messi's freekick was amazing. Our next match will be crucial.

JamDav1982

I agree with most comments but want to at least acknowledge that we did not concede a goal in 3 matches. Our defense has improved but we could not penetrate Sevilla's defense. The way they planned for Messi's freekick was amazing. Our next match will be crucial.

Very lucky not to concede v Leganes and even more so vs Sevilla.

Horatio

You're welcome
I?d say our defense improved in comparison to the game against leganes. But overall its still nothing to write home about.

Porque

Setian should be questioned for his subs. we had problems in every line today. suarez looked far from match fit, Rakitic and Busquets did okay defensively but created little to no chances. Vidal pressed and tackled but was a disaster positionally and stifled semedo in the second half. its really messed up that sevilla had more clear cut chances to win this game than us.
yes brathwaite worked hard so i understand why he took him off, but arthur? that was a bad call IMO. he replaced our only vertical player with a player that slows down the game, when we needed a goal. part of the reason was to stop them from countering but it literally killed our attack. i dont understand how suarez played all game and wasnt replaced by fati. dont understand why puig was sent on in the dying mins.

Good post. Was going to say that too. Setien failed in the subs rather than the lineup. What I will add though is that with the Arthur sub we regained control of the match. At that point Sevilla were starting to overwelm us and create chances.

The mistake was that once we gained control, Setien didn't make the move to then go on and win it. Griezmann for Vidal at 77 and then Puig at 88 is a bit pathetic. I don't want to make out that Fati solves all problems, but he is clearly our most impactful attacking option ahead of Griezmann right now. When Pep did not think Ibra was performing, he sacrificed him for Bojan. That is the difference here.

Lastly, we can see that week by week, the seniors grind the team back to their way of play. Unless you got balls of steel like LE21 (and even then he almost lost his job), going against the Club de Geriatricos is a death sentence.

serghei

Just a bad display tonight. Could only string together 2 games before the wheels came off.

I?ve been reserving my judgements of Quique for a while now but he takes flack for this tonight. Went with the typical, safe lineup and we got a woeful result. I mean, pretty sure fucking Lenglet or MaTS were the youngest starters tonight. I guess he thought ?eXpErIeNcE? and there was just nothing offensively. He was slow with his subs when it was clear at like the 55th min this lineup was a dud and did nothing. Poor lineup and poor game management from Quique tonight.

Now onto the players. FdJ?s absence was felt tonight in midfield; there was no rhythm, no pace in our build up. Not only do we have no danger in behind or off the ball, the ball circulation was slower than two turtles fucking and it was the usual ?save us Messi? approach in the final third. The key difference between Quique and Ernesto for me, despite all of this, is that he is at least critical and realizes this isn?t good enough. This is why I think it?s clear we need to clean house in 21 with a new board.

Busi was woeful tonight, one of the worst games he?s had all season and we really need to start accelerating Frenkie?s progression into that role. I like Arthur and he has a solid skill set for us, I don?t think he?s being utilized well but he again was bang average tonight, no impact on the game off the bench. Raki and Luis, for me, weren?t bad necessarily but Raki in particular isn?t a starter anymore. Martin tried but didn?t find space well and missed a clear return pass to Messi that woulda drove me insane if I was Leo. And then there is the increasingly worrying Greiz who seems to have picked up the Coutinho curse. Player by player, only ones who were performed at standard, as usual was Messi, MaTS, Lenglet (our MOTM) and Alba/Luis to a certain extent. The rest just didn?t do enough.

It?s a problem when we need 17 & 18 year olds to come rescue games. I was begging for Ansu all match and Puig showed what we needed in MF for the whole 8 seconds he was on the ball.

This is why this such a hard problem to articulate right now; when the right players are in the right setup under Setien, we don?t look terrible at all and look at least competitive at the European level. But when it?s not right or when the players are underperforming, it?s what it looked like tonight: Valverde 2.0 which is why I think it?s clearly the players/board. If Setien gets brave (which he might as well at this point, if Real nip this, he?s gone) and isn?t afraid to maybe bench names like Busi, Greiz and Vidal for the good of the team, maybe this can get better.

But this safe shit ain?t it, it never has been it for us and it?s just seems like the same shit, different day for us right now. We better pray Sociedad do us a favor on Sunday.

Good summary. It comes down to veterans being too powerful and having the board's backing and managers being too safe-zone and too weak in personality to dare shake this establishment.

One way out, possible, is sign a really big name manager for whom Barcelona is not the job of their lifetime. Both Valverde and Setien are doing compromise after compromise precisely because they want to keep the job at all costs. If we had a manager that has a "my way or the highway mentality" we'd be in a better position. But for that you need a big name or to get lucky with a new Pep type manager, hungry, not famous, control freak, but with big balls and knowledge to back it up.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Good summary. It comes down to veterans being too powerful and having the board's backing and managers being too safe-zone and too weak in personality to dare shake this establishment.

One way out, possible, is sign a really big name manager for whom Barcelona is not the job of their lifetime. Both Valverde and Setien are doing compromise after compromise precisely because they want to keep the job at all costs. If we had a manager that has a "my way or the highway mentality" we'd be in a better position. But for that you need a big name or to get lucky with a new Pep type manager, hungry, not famous, control freak, but with big balls and knowledge to back it up.
Like who then?

serghei

Like who then?

Guardiola - dictator, great fit stylewise
Pochettino - dictator, good fit stylewise
Mourinho - dictator, bad fit stylewise
Allegri - dictator, bad fit stylewise
Conte - dictator, bad fit stylewise.

Has to be a dictator, or else the vets will eat him. The only other way is to give him full power by the board, a new bold board. In this way, the board will implement change as much as the manager. The more passive the board is, the more balls the manager needs.

I fucking hate Pep with his "I won't manage Barca again". He'd be perfect to apply these veterans the Deco and Ronaldinho way, while also knowing what to do after that is achieved. He's a cleaner + a builder, 2 in 1. I believe most of the above are good cleaners, but not so sure about their building skills so to speak :lol:.

Of course, if the board is scared and not prepared for the backlash, nothing will change until he have 2-3 consecutive bad seasons. At which point, a change will come either way.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans