Lliga | Round 21: Valencia CF - FC Barcelona 2-0

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I agree.
What I meant was we have to forget the pep team, it is not possible to replicate it.
We finally have to understand that and look forward, not back, soccer evolves like everything else in life and we have to adapt, stop looking back and try to replicate the pep team.

Agreed. One of our problems is that we lack versatility in our attacking game, we rely too much on using short passes around the penalty box and dribbling (by Messi mostly) through the middle of the pitch trying to create opportunities and once that fails, we have no alternatives of attacks or a plan B, especially when our opponent is parking the bus. We can stay true to our style but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have more options in our arsenal at our disposal, we should try making those diagonal crosses (if we have a tall CF who is good at scoring headers), taking long shots outside the penalty box, making more wing plays and making ground passes near by the by line inside the box etc., things that we rarely do these days.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
We can talk about all sorts of styles etc. the good and successful teams have, but all of them are supported by a group of very mobile players who make a lot of runs. Not us. We are just too lazy and fatigued for that, that's why we fail.

LABarcaFan

I am not a fan of the current board but I don’t know what vision Font has in the sporting realm so I question if a new board will make any significant difference.

We definitely need new players (to replace the old guards). I don’t want to sound ungrateful but we will sure hit a rock bottom when Messi, Suarez, Pique, Busquets etc. are out but we should start getting better from there, with new players and a cultural change, one that focuses on work rate, hard work and making tireless runs than some sort of eye-trickery and nice moves.

I hope by then we will get Nagelsmann for a complete rebuild.

That is exactly I have been talking about for months. Setien is no better coach than Valverde. He come to Camp Nou because our other choices refused the job. But, lets make no mistake again. Nagelsmann, Den Haag or Koeman are all good coaches, but with this current squad, they will have the same results. The problems of Barcelona are not coming from the coach. They are coming from the top, the board. Year after year they have made series of wrong signings which soon or later should affect our team. And that is what happens at the moment. Unfortunately, we can not replace the board until 2021, but we can start the selection of new players, who are hungry for trophies and titles. Players who can give as their best, every single game. There will be other loses coming. I doubt we can win La Liga this season. That is why, it is better to start to clean the roster.

Asylum15

No penetration, way too lateral.

Setien is trying to re-install our possession game but it comes at a cost - lack of penetration.

We simply don't have the dynamic movement in forward positions to hurt deep defending sides.

Purely my opinion but Pique, Busquets, Rakitic, Alba, Surez all need to go. We're hanging onto a generation here that's only hurting us now.

vinni

My cule friends, can someone give me quik summary of the match? Im stuck at work seminar this weekend.:barcascarf:

Barcilliant

No penetration, way too lateral.

Setien is trying to re-install our possession game but it comes at a cost - lack of penetration.

We simply don't have the dynamic movement in forward positions to hurt deep defending sides.

Purely my opinion but Pique, Busquets, Rakitic, Alba, Surez all need to go. We're hanging onto a generation here that's only hurting us now.

Those players should have been sold two years ago. We are going to end up like Utd and Milan. I predict a three or four year barren spell. We are living in the past player wise and style wise. As a club we've failed to evolve tactically, physically and mentally.
Even Klopp wouldn't be able to get the best out of these players. Trophyless season coming up. It's over folks. We will be humiliated in cl again, lose la liga and Maybe if we're lucky might end up with Copa.

malvolio

My cule friends, can someone give me quik summary of the match? Im stuck at work seminar this weekend.:barcascarf:

Pass-pass-pass-lose the ball near their penalty area-they counter and have a dangerous opportunity
Repeated to no end
They score a couple
The end

vinni

I see. Thanks guys. I feared we would loose this one. Changng the system before an away match against valencia is like asking for troubles. Madrid is playing against real vali. tomorrow. We are gonna fall behind now

bismp

The first 10 mins we had like 80% possession,but without any chances whatsoever.

They the missed a penalty(MAtS saved it).However,they gained a little bit momentum and lost 1-2 good chances,while we remained toothless for the rest of the half.(we literally only had 2 shots,which were badly taken FKs by Messi)

In the beginning of the second half,we missed a chance with Fati and immediately after that we conceded.

After that,we kinda woke up and increased our intensity and tried a few penetrating passes.We lost a few good chances,but it wasn't like we dominated or anything.

Then we conceded a second goal in a counter attack when Roberto(playing as a RCB) completely lost his man.That's when I turned the TV off.

As you can imagine,we once again played a 3-5-2.Arthur,Busi and FDJ were all really disappointing,being content to circulating the ball without real purpose and making many silly mistakes.

Griezmann was once again lost as a LW/CF hybrid.

Fati was wrongly placed as a RW,where he couldn't do anything substantial.It is unfair to criticize the kid,but he was pretty shit,he didn't even try to dribble his opponent.

Messi was completely disinterested in the first half.Then he woke up in the second and made 4-5 decent shots,but his dribbling and passing were also quite rusty + the whole team was dysfunctional,so there wasn't a lot he could do.

Vidal came in at some point in the 2nd half,but couldn't do much either.

All in all,it was a REALLY bad performance.The team is clearly lost this year,unless Setien can work something magical,we'll probably end up throphyless.

gasgas

This was our weakness even in our heyday. Anyone remember Rubin Kazan, Inter and of course Chelsea.

We had plenty of scoring chances against Rubin Kazan, Chelsea and Inter.

Especially Chelsea where i can remember at least 6 missed sitters Alexis, Cesc etc.

We always created chances in these games

jairzinho

Bob is a huge liability at the back. Can Semedo or Araújo be worse than him? I seriously doubt that.

Not entirely sold on this Busi-Frenkie-Arthur midfield. All three are too similiar IMO. None can attack the box.

What is it about our midfield that prevents us from making surging runs forward, getting in on the end of crosses, taking longshots etc.

We are too tepid in midfield. I would start Vidal with Frenkie and Busquets or Vidal Arthur Frenkie.

But too be fair to the midfield, there wasn't much happening in front of them anyway. How much runs did Greizmann and Fati offer?

Still, Fati was completely invisible and is nowhere ready to be a starter. Apart from Messi we lack cutting edge and spark up front.

Home of Barca Fans