Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

malvolio

Stop comparing the football of national teams and clubs.

These are different stages in terms of the tactical level. Absolutely.

What stage you absolute muppet? Running or movement on the field is a stage now?

Get back to your cave and spare us of your "knowledge".

Raketa10

Jerome Rothen on Leo Messi: ?We don?t want him. He?s not invested in the club. 18G/16A is all well and good against Angers and Clermont, but he disappears in big games. It?s a joke. We?ve seen what he can do [in the World Cup]. He just doesn?t help PSG in the slightest.? ����

Unfortunately, that's actually true. He lacks motivation when he plays for PSG. A difference between his attitude when he plays for Argentina vs PSG is visible from the Moon. For example, when asked about Messi, Josko Gvardiol stated that he is the GOAT but he is also totally different player when he plays for PSG or when he plays for Argentina. He faced him two times last year, once with RB and once with Croatia and had two totaly different experiences.

We all have to admit that he just isn't willing to sacrifice his body anymore while playing for PSG and that's understandable. IMHO it's best for all parties to part ways this summer. Messi either needs to move to MLS or find a club where he would be willing to give hist best for at least one more season. Problem is that apart from Barca I can't see any other club in Europe he would be willing to fight for in the same way he does for his national team.

With all that in mind, I also don't see him going back to Newells. Barcelona is his home and not Rosario. Furthermore, I sincerely doubt't that he wants to live in Argentina with his family.

Let's analyze who (Barca not included) can pay him and who would tolerate 36y old Messi:

In Germany:

Bayern - would not pay and would not tolerate

In France:

No one except PSG.

In Spain:

He wouldn't play for any club except Barca

In Italy:

Probably Juve, Milan, Inter and Napoli would all want him for one season. However, I honestly don't think they can afford him and I don't see him going there. For what would he fight for? Serie A? I don't think that motivates him at all.

In England:

Newcastle - they would pay and they would tolerate but no way he is going there.
Liverpool - would not won't him and would not pay him.
City - they can afford him but Pep would not wan't a 36y old Messi. No way in hell.
United - no way Ten Hag needs another Ronaldo case. He would strongly oppose.
Arsenal - I doubt they can pay and Arteta probably wouldn't wan't him.
Chelsea - they can probably pay and maybe they would wan't him for one season. However, problem is that they probably won't play CL next season so that's also off.

We also need to understand that Barca is not a viable option. Laporta and Xavi never said no to his return but they also never said yes. If you read between the lines they all moved on and no one want's to go back to the past. His return in this stage of his career would probably create more problems than benefits for him and Barca.

When we consider all of that, I honestly can't see any suitable club in Europe for him at the moment, at least not with his current financial demands and his "PSG state of mind".

Last edited:

fergus90

Serie A would not be a bad move for him at all, somewhere like Inter. Bar Napoli's impressive season this year, it's been quite open since Juve's dominance.

Definitely better than Ligue 1, plus Inter and AC are massive clubs with rich histories.

iniestaGOAT

Serie A would not be a bad move for him at all, somewhere like Inter. Bar Napoli's impressive season this year, it's been quite open since Juve's dominance.

Definitely better than Ligue 1, plus Inter and AC are massive clubs with rich histories.

You kidding? Those bums cant afford him.

P$G fans don't awnt him, barca can't afford him.

Sorry to say, but its time to retire

Raketa10

Yes they are massive clubs but they can't afford him. And let's be honest, do you think that wining Serie A is something that motivates him? That would end up with him walking on the pitch for another season and just waiting for Copa America 2024 to start.

Last edited:

fergus90

He's walked on the pitch for quite a few years though, that isn't linked to motivation. It's a part of his play style for the last 5-6 years.

Ultimately it will be down to salary though you're right, so it's most likely PSG until 2024 and then join Saudi Arabia for ludicrous money.

Porque

Maybe he could walk on the pitch if the rest of the team pressed like maniacs and worked off the ball for him.

Messi and Mbappe have been great in recent weeks in Ligue1. Difference on Wednesday was the quality of opposition. You are going to conceed chances if the opponent knows that there is no press in the front line, which will also break the midfield structure who who have to work double to cover it too.

xxxxxx

It isn't about a lack of motivation, it's about a lack of quality and a good coach. It's fine and dandy when you have an elite attack, but you won't win much if you don't have a good and balanced midfield and defense. The only players consistently performing this season for PSG are Messi, Mbappe, Neymar and Ramos... and maybe Mendes.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Even Messi ran his ass off for Argentina. It's obvious he doesn't care about football that much at this point, he's completed it.

Horatio

You're welcome
andresitoyerba__08236.1648484439.jpg

[MENTION=19407]Andresito[/MENTION] what do you have to say for yourself?

KingLeo10

Even Messi ran his ass off for Argentina. It's obvious he doesn't care about football that much at this point, he's completed it.

He put in between 8 and 9 KMs in WC KO games, which is the average he had during the Pep and early Lucho (14-15) era

Saw that he did about 7.5 KM in the Bayern Allianz game...and in most games he does about 7 KM

I'd be curious to see how Lewa stacks up in Xavi's setup. I would assume 9-10 KMs but could be wrong. Lewa seems dead tired by the time the ball actually gets to him

Horatio

You're welcome
Wouldn't say Messi ran his ass off. Argentina definitely have a system built around him where they have to compensate for lack of pressing from him. But he definitely is more active for Argentina for sure.

I think his age is a big factor nowadays. I think if he exerts himself too much during a game his body does not recover in time and as such will accumulate fatigueness too fast into the season.

Birdy

:lol: Good way to show you're not actually a Barca fan.

Were you living under a rock during his 11 and 15 CL seasons?

neither '11 and '15 CL seasons come any close in terms of individual performance.

The difference is that '11 was the best team of all time, and '15 was a well-balanced team.
As LvG pointed out, and you purposefully avoid to touch, it's not an accident that in his best ever individual season in Europe the team sucked.
Because everyone was playing for him, contrary to '11 and '15 where he was playing for the team

Wouldn't say Messi ran his ass off. Argentina definitely have a system built around him where they have to compensate for lack of pressing from him. But he definitely is more active for Argentina for sure.

I think his age is a big factor nowadays. I think if he exerts himself too much during a game his body does not recover in time and as such will accumulate fatigueness too fast into the season.

As soulrange said, he presses *sometimes* in the initial build up (CB duo) *IF he has the interest to do so*
from the moment the ball bypasses him, he stops running, starts walking and not following anyone.
Absolute pathetic attitude for any footballer in 2023

MagIX

Serious shots

Thomas M?ller: "Against Messi, things always go well at all levels in terms of results. Cristiano Ronaldo was our problem when he was at Real Madrid."

He also said:

"But I have the greatest respect for Messi's World Cup performance.
Messi's individual performance at the World Cup was amazing. He carried the whole squad.
'It's not so easy to play at a team like PSG. It's difficult to get a really good team balance."

MagIX

As soulrange said, he presses *sometimes* in the initial build up (CB duo) *IF he has the interest to do so*
from the moment the ball bypasses him, he stops running, starts walking and not following anyone.
Absolute pathetic attitude for any footballer in 2023

I agree.
And I think 24 y.o. Mbappe also absolutely has to change his attitude. I hope he will understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans