Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassvet

Good news for Leo? This is an interview with Pascal Ferre, chief editor of France Football.

Interesting how he says Leo and Lewy both had great stats and early CL exits but then distinguishes that Lewandowski had an early Euro exit while Messi won Copa.

FDIy_63VUAEbuy2

FinBarcelonafan

Anyone will watch psg even though messi wont play? Dont know which match i could watch instead, only atletico liverpool sounds exciting too :thinking:

I usually watch one game on telly and other on tablet(tablet doesn't interrupt too much, but nice to watch on side). Most likely best option will be to switch games depending what happens imo.

Kinda sick of watching Liverpool so probably PSG game

sickstar

Lol this forum has a lot of dramas just like messi's life and i think he was more prone to media that it eventually influenced his play.

On a serious note, i think not his argentina tour in september which caused his injuries but the ones in october. Because rennes match was after the september international break and he played flawless in that match, minimum dribbling but impressive passing play..

Now, i know what leonardo said wasn't too excessive . Messi this year has been sensational for argentina and it paid off. I think before and after copa, he pour his 100% with argentina and therefore it impact his club performance carrying those injuries, probably minor in the beginning but with the hard treatment from ligue one defenders made it worse.

Rory

Issue with Messi is he needs rest, but he also requires a run of games to get in rhythm to reach his top level.

Raketa10

Issue with Messi is that he is playing injured and in the meantime he traveled 2 times to Argentina in order to play WC qualifiers. He will again travel to Argentina next week. What the hell do people expect? During the last 3 months he spent almost a month of his time playing WC qualifiers on the other continent. And he did all of that half injured. To be fair PSG should insist form him to stay in Paris during the next international break. As a consequence, we won't see the real Leo Messi before January.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

He needs rest, he needs rhytm, he needs time to click with new teammates...

You guys act as if he is 25 or something.
He is an old granny.
95% of players are retired or playing in midtable teams aged 34.

It is a shock that he can still contribute here and there on the highest level.

In short:
No, rest won't help him.
Rhytm won't help him.
He won't click with Psg's teammates.

He is 34 and on a verge of a retirement.

He'll offer a good game once in 4-5 games and even rarer with each new Month passing by.

Raketa10

He needs rest, he needs rhytm, he needs time to click with new teammates...

You guys act as if he is 25 or something.
He is an old granny.
95% of players are retired or playing in midtable teams aged 34.

It is a shock that he can still contribute here and there on the highest level.

In short:
No, rest won't help him.
Rhytm won't help him.
He won't click with Psg's teammates.

He is 34 and on a verge of a retirement.

He'll offer a good game once in 4-5 games and even rarer with each new Month passing by.

Of course he can't play on the same level he did when he was 25y old. However, weren't you saying the same things about him in the autumn of 2020? After that he had fantastic second half of the season and he won Copa with Argentina. Now he is the main favorite to win his seventh Ballon d'Or. The fact is that he is injured, he lacks rhythm and above all that, every 3 weeks he travels to Argentina in order to play WC qualifiers. In addition to that he is 34y old so of course he can't raise the level of his game. Problem is that people can't understand those things and expect from him to score 2 or 3 goals in every game. That's just absurd.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

He can be 34 and legs not what were and still improve through rest, require rhythm and get used to a system.

If repeat the 'Messi is done' line every season then bound to be right at some point but he has proven you wrong on that one often enough so far.

Dont agree with those bashing Poch and PSG system as if that is making it impossible for Messi. So far Messi has been poor and his lack of running causing them issues to find a system. But that is the player he is and is about giving up aspect of team play for moments from Messi.

malvolio

Dont agree with those bashing Poch and PSG system as if that is making it impossible for Messi. So far Messi has been poor and his lack of running causing them issues to find a system. But that is the player he is and is about giving up aspect of team play for moments from Messi.

i think they played bad regardless of messi starting or not this season. that's why i think pochettino is not the man to lead them.

apart from 2 games against really poor opposition, they've been dominated home and away by any half decent team. refs, the odd golazo or individual effort bailed them out. but their level of team play is way off when compared to the EPL top 3 and bayern. then there are second tier teams like atletico, real or juventus that could beat them.

JamDav1982

i think they played bad regardless of messi starting or not this season. that's why i think pochettino is not the man to lead them.

apart from 2 games against really poor opposition, they've been dominated home and away by any half decent team. refs, the odd golazo or individual effort bailed them out. but their level of team play is way off when compared to the EPL top 3 and bayern. then there are second tier teams like atletico, real or juventus that could beat them.

They were far better with Messi off the park in the game they played vs the league champions. From 1-0 down to 2-1 win.

The other game they took him off they improved and went on to win also.

Messi and his lack of running is a big issue for top coaches. Most if not all want to press and cant do that with effectively one player who cant. Exactly the reason I dont believe the likes of Pep or Klopp would ever have taken him at 34.

Can Poch and Messi find a way to balance it and make a run at CL? Maybe.

Also Messi has the most missed chances in that league without a goal. That is on him not anyone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans