Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

soul24rage

I don't ignore possession of the ball.

In modern football you have to be good on the ball and work without the ball.

Football has changed a lot over the last 10-12 years. You must take this into account.
Everyone attacks and everyone defends. These are the principles that Cruyff instilled in this club.
In principle I agree with that, but Messi is one of the exceptions for this rule because of how good he is on the ball.

Compensating for one player not pressing intensely can be done. Pep and Klopp would certainly try to find a way.

KingLeo10

Gician trying to pull a Thanos: "Fine I'll do it myself" when it comes to troll frothing

But instead got slapped around back to the fish markets :lol:

Been washed up since 2020 atleast :lol:

soul24rage

This is 1/4 of the Champions League.

And we were relegated that season.
So you are blaming this defeat on Messi only? Not considering the fact that this was peak Atletico Madrid famous for their defense at the time, or that we had an inexperienced Bartra in defense and that we have Pinto as our starting GK at the time.

I also didn't realize that Barca was relegated and played in second division.

M3ls

In principle I agree with that, but Messi is one of the exceptions for this rule because of how good he is on the ball.

Compensating for one player not pressing intensely can be done. Pep and Klopp would certainly try to find a way.
Yes, this is possible if he gives at least 50-60% when working without the ball.

But if he doesn't do 20% of the average player's off-ball work, it's a disaster, man.

soul24rage

Yes, this is possible if he gives at least 50-60% when working without the ball.

But if he doesn't do 20% of the average player's off-ball work, it's a disaster, man.
How do you know it'll be a disaster if the conditions around him are not right?

M3ls

By the way, Van Gaal spoke about this problem in 2019.

“I like Messi as an individual player. He is the best individual player in the world because his statistics are amazing,” the 67-year-old told
“But why has he not won the Champions League since four years ago? Why? As a captain, you must ask yourself why the team does not win in Europe.
“I think Messi is also responsible for what is happening in Barcelona, not just the coach. Players have a substantial part of responsibility for what happens on the team.
“Guardiola had him playing for the benefit of the team but recent coaches have adapted to Messi too much instead of protecting team spirit.”

companyofcules

Real did it with no compensation for 2.
You know how? By actually getting player who win 1 v 1 and having fast defenders.
The rest is brain fart. When you are mediocre and on the same level that bit of extra defending can influence the game, but then again you don't pay more huge salaries and transfers for that.
Real trick is winning the 1 v 1. You can be Pep+ Mourinho and Kloop combined, if your players can't cut it..
The low Iq is what ruined this club. The debate is short, Messi won his 1 v 1 others don't, any sane club with money will replace those clowns, we discuss tactics to win despite starting clowns and now Penaldians got the idea stuck that you can win with clowns if you have the structure so of course Messi was guilty for not helping the structure.
Insanity.
Argentina won because those mids and some defenders won 1 v 1, his partener in attack won 1 v 1 so the tactic worked.
Because Messi was so good and won most of the games by himself we have this discussion, the level of the team was evindent in the second year of Koeman, totally dead.

companyofcules

By the way, Van Gaal spoke about this problem in 2019.

“I like Messi as an individual player. He is the best individual player in the world because his statistics are amazing,” the 67-year-old told
“But why has he not won the Champions League since four years ago? Why? As a captain, you must ask yourself why the team does not win in Europe.
“I think Messi is also responsible for what is happening in Barcelona, not just the coach. Players have a substantial part of responsibility for what happens on the team.
“Guardiola had him playing for the benefit of the team but recent coaches have adapted to Messi too much instead of protecting team spirit.”
So now we accuse the player for not being a good manager, sporting director and president. VG is a total clown, almost killed me in his years at Barcelona.
His way of football ( the Xavi way) was debunked more than 2 decades ago, he hates stars as Xavi does and found out. Only the bigger clowns from United hired him and some clowns from Bayern.

M3ls

How do you know it'll be a disaster if the conditions around him are not right?
What do you mean by unsuitable conditions?

I simply suggest you the following experiment.

The average length of the field is 105 meters. Width 65 meters. You can go with 70 long and 65 wide, or 80 long and 65 wide, it all depends on how high your team presses and sets up a defensive block.

Go outside, focusing on some objects and measure this distance. Then mentally take the defensive midfielder position (or another position). And then mentally imagine that you and your 8 teammates (we don’t count the goalkeeper) will have to press or defend with a middle block in such space against an opponent who plays modern football, that is, football in which even the central defenders have an important role in advancing the ball.

Then answer my question: is this a disaster?

companyofcules

Ok boy, I am out, you ain't answering my objections presented to you, you keep bambling.
If your DM, CB can't run and defend and your mids can't keep the ball you keep a high line or a low block?

Windhook

By the way, I am inclined to believe that this was one of the reasons why Pep decided to leave. He could control everyone, but not Messi.
Don't go there. Pep has nothing against Messi. His problems were related to clashes with Rosell administration. Pep never showed anything but awe and praise on Leo, that talk is pure BS.

Messi was never defensively involved since Rijkaard era. Remember him being constantly injured earlier on, Pep and Tito introduced the attack only Messi version. And once the false 9 role it was done deal.

M3ls

Don't go there. Pep has nothing against Messi. His problems were related to clashes with Rosell administration. Pep never showed anything but awe and praise on Leo, that talk is pure BS.

Messi was never defensively involved since Rijkaard era. Remember him being constantly injured earlier on, Pep and Tito introduced the attack only Messi version. And once the false 9 role it was done deal.
I know that the role of the false nine was created for the following reasons:
1) Leo did not participate properly in defense.
That is, he often did not finish his defensive work on his flank. And by moving him as far away from the goal as possible, you to some DEGREE neutralized the negative impact of his poor play without the ball on the team’s defense.

2) Leo did not follow the principles of positional football, he likes to move freely. Remember the story of Henry, when Pep replaced him at half-time in a match in which he scored a goal due to the fact that he often moved out of his position.

So, when I say "Leo didn't contribute properly defensively (we're talking about the period when Pep just arrived)", I don't mean that he was as bad off the ball as he was in 2012-13, 13-14, etc.

Yes, he didn’t run like Pedri or Villa without the ball, but that level was more or less tolerable. The problems began later, when he began to become even more lazy.

I know all this very well. You don't have to tell me about this.

Last edited:

companyofcules

VG should have humiliated all his rivals if you are true because his kindergarten ideas were fully implemented. Xavi toom
No stars everyone played his part. His only issue was his tactic was predictable and not winning the duels presented lead him to nowhere. While Real with a team of notdefending won the semifinal. Football is about winning and doing something with the ball, not running brainless across the field. If that would have been the case EPL would win UCL every year with Stoke.

Home of Barca Fans