Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

Raki13

Hilarious that some on here actually thought he would be coming back , the guy and his father love money. It doesnt matter how much they have they will always want more , and theres only one place stupid enough to waste that amount of cash.

malvolio

Hilarious that some on here actually thought he would be coming back , the guy and his father love money. It doesnt matter how much they have they will always want more , and theres only one place stupid enough to waste that amount of cash.
hard to turn down 1 billion dollars. barca in a transition period, moving to another stadium, laporta at the helm etc

tbf it's us fans that want it more, just to see him one more time wearing the shirt. otherwise neither messi or club have much to gain from this deal. purely sentimental.

ajnotkeith

He's probably asking for a wage which at least matches his PSG one, which we can't give. And let's not lie, he does love money, he wouldn't have left initially if that wasn't the case.

Bringing him in is not that difficult financially if he asked for a reasonable wage. At 20m or so he is paid a little more than Ferran + Kessie or something. I'm sure the club can make it work if he asked for a wage like that.

Raketa10

We need to reinforce a lot of positions but people in the club probably think it's equivalent to signing just Messi and think that he can solve a lot of our problems.

Would be a disaster if signing Messi is hindering us from reinforcing the rest of the squad.

I don't think we are THAT stupid. At least I hope so...

Porque

He's probably asking for a wage which at least matches his PSG one, which we can't give. And let's not lie, he does love money, he wouldn't have left initially if that wasn't the case.

Bringing him in is not that difficult financially if he asked for a reasonable wage. At 20m or so he is paid a little more than Ferran + Kessie or something. I'm sure the club can make it work if he asked for a wage like that.

Yep. And this is not a fantasy world either. Imagine Messi earning 100m, being offered 400m, but then deciding to move to a club like Barcelona for 25m (which is still over our new salary cap, but that's another topic).

It's clear that he would be removing a ton of his leverage just to make that happen for who?
The fans who will turn on him if he gets old overnight?
Laporta? Who will turn on him if he doesn't perform

And then say he did move to us on that wage, will the Saudi offer him as much again considering he just took such a clear reduction.

So to come here he would need some equity or say on our direction so to speak, in return to the lower wage. Be it a % of profit or turnover (which has been rumoured), and he would probably be able to vetoe signings (the famous do not believe in the project quotes) and at the very least would never be benched.

So a ton of things to take into consideration and way deeper than just being about the money.

After a think, the best option is to go to Saudi, play there initially but have a option rolled into that deal that he can go on loan to Barcelona for a season in 2024 or 2025 (basically when we return to Camp Nou).

Messi gets his big contract, the Saudi get to flaunt him now, while we get to see him return on a manageable wage when we are back to full capacity.

Maybe the Saudi even cover the wage if he is here for 6-12 month in exchange for sleeve sponsorship or something.

Wins all around.

raskolnikov

hard to turn down 1 billion dollars. barca in a transition period, moving to another stadium, laporta at the helm etc

tbf it's us fans that want it more, just to see him one more time wearing the shirt. otherwise neither messi or club have much to gain from this deal. purely sentimental.
Why is it hard? After a certain amount of money (80-200 mil?) you no longer need more. You can have everything you ever want and can take care of 6 gerations after you, so whats the point outside of pure greed?
Messi already has 600 mil and will end up a billionaire regardless.
So going to saudi arabia for years for more makes very little since for him and his family in my opinion.

He also isnt some philantropist that will save Barca or Argentina financially and therefore will need more money, its just for himself.

Was true for Ronaldo and applies to him as well. Makes him less of a person in my opinion. He maybe the goat but a flawed man in that regard if he is consumed by greed.

Going to saudi arabia like that makes sense for a lot of people but not if you already have more money then you can spend. Just go live somewhere with tour family where it makes you happy, play for fun and enjoy life. The game is finished already.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I really doubt he is asking us to match his PSG salary. Pretty much every source from France, Argentina to in Barcelona are reporting he'll agree to a 20-25m salary gross and that his priority is Barcelona because of his family.

But I don't think we'll be able to sort out our issues with La Liga and be able to make an offer to him in time for that to even happen.

Would be curious to see if some PL team explores signing him and what he does then.

malvolio

Why is it hard? After a certain amount of money (80-200 mil?) you no longer need more. You can have everything you ever want and can take care of 6 gerations after you, so whats the point outside of pure greed?
Messi already has 600 mil and will end up a billionaire regardless.
So going to saudi arabia for years for more makes very little since for him and his family in my opinion.

He also isnt some philantropist that will save Barca or Argentina financially and therefore will need more money, its just for himself.

Was true for Ronaldo and applies to him as well. Makes him less of a person in my opinion. He maybe the goat but a flawed man in that regard if he is consumed by greed.

Going to saudi arabia like that makes sense for a lot of people but not if you already have more money then you can spend. Just go live somewhere with tour family where it makes you happy, play for fun and enjoy life. The game is finished already.

Makes all footballers lesser persons? The amounts thrown on these idiots these days is laughable. You either accept it and just watch the sport for the spectacle(or what is left of that anyway) or you give up altogether.

It's like asking why a guy like Bezos needs all those billions. People are greedy, it's in our nature.

ajnotkeith

There is no such thing as too much money. There is always more you can do with money.
The reality is, that few hundred million a year is more attractive than Barca for Messi.

Iniesta Ultra

If Messi makes 100M a year from endorsements then he should be a billionaire already right? But obviously he has to decide if a year or two of working in retirement SA is worth 600M or saving Barca from ruin for close to free relatively. Everyone knows he'd have an opportunity to be happy sporting wise in Barca, and his family life for sure whereas probably neither in SA.

Home of Barca Fans