Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

malvolio

OptaBirdy, lil Tempt, and Bipolargician showing off their best twerk routine :lol:

Barcaforum version of the Three Musketeers :clown:
You can add this ajnotkeith clown to the list of shame. Guy spent all night writing essays on how Messi rejected us because of money.

Andresito

Staff member
This is for the best really. We need to keep rebuilding and signing Messi would just address our nostalgic needs. I hope he can return to Nou Camp Nou the way Henry did to Arsenal, hopefully for more than just one game.

What's sad is that his European career comes to an end. He could surely have stayed another year competing in Europe.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
This club is notorious for mishandling its heroes & legends all throughout its history. And, I expected nothing else. Barca tries to portray itself as larger than life, holier than thou club which carries vision, mission & values that is uncomparable and nobody is above it.
No legends got a damn good farewell and likes of Cruyff was fired midday and came to know about it from mid-management level guys. :lol:
But, ofcourse, Leo was above all and heart doesn't agree with what has happened in last couple of years. But it is what it is.

Chainsaw

Killahead
This club is notorious for mishandling its heroes & legends all throughout its history. And, I expected nothing else. Barca tries to portray itself as larger than life, holier than thou club which carries vision, mission & values that is uncomparable and nobody is above it.
No legends got a damn good farewell and likes of Cruyff was fired midday and came to know about it from mid-management level guys. :lol:
But, ofcourse, Leo was above all and heart doesn't agree with what has happened in last couple of years. But it is what it is.
"More than a mess".

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
So he’s essentially been retired since 33. PSG and now MLS… disappointing ending to a great career. Wish he took a bigger challenge instead of PSG. I guess the World Cup was worth it though.

But I am pleased he is not coming back, would have been a disaster

Pedro

La Masia
Hot weather, hot girls, big salary, amazing city, club with a lot of potential, Leo has made a good choice other than Barca. Will set him up perfectly to defend the Copa America next year

malvolio

So he’s essentially been retired since 33. PSG and now MLS… disappointing ending to a great career. Wish he took a bigger challenge instead of PSG. I guess the World Cup was worth it though.

But I am pleased he is not coming back, would have been a disaster
Ended his career with a treble of Copa America, Finalissima and WC. What a dissapointing ending indeed.

ajnotkeith

I don't doubt that Messi thought about coming back or at least entertained such thought, however all along I think we were most likely a distant second, if not third option, if things had turned favorable for us (La Liga approves the viability plan, we clear enough room to accommodate him etc.) quick enough instead of possibly dragging through the summer with no end in sight, he probably would have given it a more serious thought.

I'd venture to guess that Miami has been his first option for a while, there is no way he decided to join them last-minute due to us failing to come through etc., they probably had started talking a while ago and reached some sort of agreement for him to join if he chooses so. It all makes more sense, Miami offers something new, much more relaxing (at this stage of his career when he has won everything, he doesn't care about another trophy anymore, family comes first) and less toxic (with all the media talking about him in Barcelona and elsewhere in Spain and his strained relationship with Laporta etc.) compared to returning to Barcelona. He expands his brand and business in the US while his family enjoys nice life.

It was the media, the likes of Gerard Romero creating and instilling this sense of false narrative and hope that there was a great likelihood that he would return. More like their wishful thinking got in the way of rational reporting.
Inter Miami was talked about as part of his plan since years ago. Negotiations were happening since then.

Possible that there wasn't even a 'negotiation' per se and he already decided this ages ago, would fit with the fact he took the decision June 7th, that is 3 weeks before his contract even ends.

Here is some news channel stating exactly what happened this 2023 summer a year ago.

M3ls

As the former vice-president of Barcelona said, Messi's salary of 100 million+ caused a domino effect.

It doesn’t happen that you have one player who receives 100 million euros, and all the rest no more than 15, if you are not a club from Saudi Arabia, where the stars come to play and get big money compared to other team players.

Home of Barca Fans