Lionel Messi - v7

Messigician

Actually we can keep him on the same wages as long as other wages are amortized.

Plan is to sell Coutinho the French squad etc and renew Messi.

At least for Font and Laporta

Richard.H

But we can't afford to keep him. We're close to bankruptcy.

The only way Messi stays if he takes a 70% to 80% salary reduction and agrees to lower his bonus fees. Also, he'll have to give up his signing-on fee. Oh, and we'd probably have to either sell/loan out Coutinho, Pjanic... and other players just to make it work because of our massive debt.

Do you honestly expect Messi to agree to all of that.... whilst potentially winning nothing next season?

I am sure he is staying simply because I think City and PSG don't even want him. It's just media BS. I don't see other club signing him. He has too much influence and can potentially disrupt the core of other teams. Now if you mean him going back to Argentina or MLS then that's another story. I think Messi can still provide to this team but in a more limited role where his minutes are observed.

Sterlingfan2000

There's only 1 Club who actually can remotely afford him and that is Manchester City.

PSG are handcuffed because of FFP. They made 200M loss this season and see close to FFP punish if they don't sell Players

Rory

Messi wasn't good. But Ronaldo gets to cruise through talks like this for scoring a penalty or two, even on this forum. Messi contributed a goal today. It's a low bar to set, yes, but in the champions league it's the only bar that really matters. Griezmann missed two good goalscoring chances. Mbappe knicked a few goals/ Keane scored a header that should have been saved. Our defence once again capitulated as they have done for the last 5 years. Messi was not good, but selling or getting rid of him is like throwing water out of a boat with a bucket without plugging the hole up. The issue is the squad, the manager, the transfer policy, la masia. everything in this club stinks and it's amazing we've got this far where we actually believe we can win things this year.

I want all the old guard gone, Messi too but blaming him for this defeat is just failing to look at the big picture.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Messi wasn't good. But Ronaldo gets to cruise through talks like this for scoring a penalty or two, even on this forum. Messi contributed a goal today. It's a low bar to set, yes, but in the champions league it's the only bar that really matters. Griezmann missed two good goalscoring chances. Mbappe knicked a few goals/ Keane scored a header that should have been saved. Our defence once again capitulated as they have done for the last 5 years. Messi was not good, but selling or getting rid of him is like throwing water out of a boat with a bucket without plugging the hole up. The issue is the squad, the manager, the transfer policy, la masia. everything in this club stinks and it's amazing we've got this far where we actually believe we can win things this year.

Don't be afraid to say it: Messi was terrible, as was the whole team. Also not true about Ronaldo getting a pass with this type of games on this forum as there are several posters complaining about what you are describing every time he has a bad game in his thread.

Rory

Don't be afraid to say it: Messi was terrible, as was the whole team. Also not true about Ronaldo getting a pass with this type of games on this forum as there are several posters complaining about what you are describing every time he has a bad game in his thread.

Oh yeah there's the obvious few who trash him for these types of games. I don't take their opinions into account tbh.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Hope all the delusional Messi lovers around the world who do not care about Barca disappear at the exact moment Messi leaves somewhere else or retires.

CityFanInPeace

City's salary outtake isn't that bad compared to the other big clubs. Your biggest earner is De Bruyne... and he's only 350k a week, and then it's Sterling. The rest of the team is on like 250k or less. I think you pay around 125m a year for your whole squad. As I said, it isn't that bad. You can easily afford to give Messi a decent salary and it won't kill you in regards to the FFP. Besides, you can sell Mahrez to free up some of the salary, and you can easily get around 40m for him. And as I just said, Messi won't be getting anywhere close to the salary he had with us. He'll more than likely only get 50% of it.

You're in a much better position than PSG to get Messi; PSG just lost 200m due to COVID, and they also lost a lot of money due to their TV deal. They can't afford to have all of Messi, Mbappe and Neymar in their team, especially with potential new contracts from Mbappe and Neymar. If anything, PSG probably has to release or sell players just balance the books in the summer.

Good points and well reasoned. Aguero and Fernandinho coming off a total of about 380k pounds per week should help as well.

xxxxxx

Actually we can keep him on the same wages as long as other wages are amortized.

Plan is to sell Coutinho the French squad etc and renew Messi.

At least for Font and Laporta

You're acting as we can easily sell players like Coutinho and Pjanic. I doubt any decent teams will spend any money on them, especially due to COVID. Even if we loan those 2 out, that still won't cover Messi's salary.

You're basically saying we should sell or loan out half our team just to keep Messi. We'll then have no money to bring in other players. Our depth is already shocking, we don't need to make it even worse.

Laplacian

Even prime Messi couldnt save this ship. Heck put both prime Messi and prime Maradona on this team and they still wouldnt have had a chance tonight

Idk man, prime Messi used to dribble past 4 players 4 times in a single match and come out with 4 goals. This is why I say the only player worth his current salary is 2012 Messi.

AzaR

All this talk of him renewing his contract. After that game, if he wants to win trophies and have any chance of winning the CL, he needs to leave. He can give himself a fair chance somewhere like City (If he's smart) and play for a team that doesnt always look vulnerable at the back.

City owners are absolutely minted. They'd be getting him on a free and also consider that any money he brings into the club will subsidise his wages. And Pep is there.

I was hoping i'd get to see him live at the Nou Camp one last time, but perhaps not :/

Home of Barca Fans