Lionel Messi - v7

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
How much do people think he brings in? Obviously covid year totally changes things and no one should be on this wage including Messi during these times. I reckon he brings in around ?100m after extra tickets sold, stadium tours, museums, the messi experience (or whatever that thing is), sponsorship attraction, merchandise, competition money.

100m sounds legit to me.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
my point is it would certainly prevent situations like the one with Messi. Messi is making more than 6-7 NBA team combined salaries which to me is insane. That's not even including all the money he gets from sponsors.

source: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-team-salaries-at-a-glance/

It wouldn't change much except lower everyone's else's wage proportionately. Where would the rest of the money go? In our case to the club, in case of American sports it will go to the owner that's the point.

JamDav1982

my point is it would certainly prevent situations like the one with Messi. Messi is making more than 6-7 NBA team combined salaries which to me is insane. That's not even including all the money he gets from sponsors.

source: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-team-salaries-at-a-glance/

I get what the salary cap mean just not that it distributes wealth to anyone but the owners.

That is opposite of distributing wealth really and worse than football in europe. It is a system designed to benefit the select few at expense of playing staff.

Richard.H

I get what the salary cap mean just not that it distributes wealth to anyone but the owners.

That is opposite of distributing wealth really and worse than football in europe. It is a system designed to benefit the select few at expense of playing staff.

Would this team still be near complete bankruptcy with a salary cap? That's all I'm saying.

khaled_a_d

For those that are saying that Messi alone brought us all the marketing revenue, is it still worth to pay him that much? Didn?t CR7 also bring in a ton of money to RM and now Juve also? Does his salary include his contributions to marketing?

1-RM brand has been always bigger than Barca, it has been standing as top notch Brand long before Barca

2-We don't know exact numbers of CR7 salary in RM and probably not Juve.
This is the hard truth, good percentage of those "salaries " you read is just bs that some journalist is selling to fans.
Those contracts are private and not announced, 24 hours ago some sources were saying he got 100M a year, others said he gets around 70 and at the end it seems he was getting both :D

So, whatever you read about CR7 salary take it with grain of salt.

3-Those contracts are complicated, they involve salary, bonuses (with different names) , agent fees, percentage of image right etc.

JamDav1982

Would this team still be near complete bankruptcy with a salary cap? That's all I'm saying.

Thats not what original point was though.

There are positives and negatives of a cap system as in NBA. The redistribution of wealth is not one of them. That is one of its biggest weaknesses.

JamDav1982

1-RM brand has been always bigger than Barca, it has been standing as top notch Brand long before Barca

2-We don't know exact numbers of CR7 salary in RM and probably not Juve.
This is the hard truth, good percentage of those "salaries " you read is just bs that some journalist is selling to fans.
Those contracts are private and not announced, 24 hours ago some sources were saying he got 100M a year, others said he gets around 70 and at the end it seems he was getting both :D

So, whatever you read about CR7 salary take it with grain of salt.

3-Those contracts are complicated, they involve salary, bonuses (with different names) , agent fees, percentage of image right etc.

Ronaldo is also often held up as the more marketable of the two and makes more for personal endorsements etc than Messi does.

Looking at revenue alone at Real Madrid it did not plummet by hundreds of millions the way it is made out would at Barca if Messi left even allow for them having a stronger brand would still expect to see a huge impact.

There is very little in brand value currently and even when Messi leaves his legacy on that lives on to an extent.

khaled_a_d

Ronaldo is also often held up as the more marketable of the two and makes more for personal endorsements etc than Messi does.

Looking at revenue alone at Real Madrid it did not plummet by hundreds of millions the way it is made out would at Barca if Messi left even allow for them having a stronger brand would still expect to see a huge impact.

There is very little in brand value currently and even when Messi leaves his legacy on that lives on to an extent.

Well, the argument is about the current contract.
We can all agree he needs a real paycut if he stays.

Daniele

I think it's an indictment on humanity itself rather than just a system.
I don't want to derail the thread but when we as a species tend to value the contribution of a barely educated adult that can kick a football above those that actually contribute to the actual advancement of society, that's when you know shits fucked up.

If you want to expand on it, the role of "sport" in societies both in the past and present is instrumental in ensuring a more content and compliant populace.

yes mate, that's right.

It would be a broad topic to deal with.
I think everyone agrees that it is wrong that 1% of the population owns like the other 99%.
Nevertheless, we continue with this system.

That's obviously not sustainable and we are seeing it on our skin. It is probably an unconscious will of mankind to self-destruction

Raketa10

Don't want to derail this thread completely, but I do find it ironic how all sports in the US (even MLS) have a salary cap on all teams to essentially redistribute wealth. However, in Europe it's basically an absolute free market.

And yet in NBA any bum can earn 10+ mil per season.

Here is the article about how much Messi earns for Barca. Estimate is that he earns between 250 and 300 mil.

https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/...for-barcelona-than-he-costs-in-wages-11489183

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans