Lionel Messi - v7

vegitot

Did you watch all those matches? Also are those stats about dribbles key passes and chances created officially written down or are they just something you heard about? I'm a bit sceptical only because I recently watched supposedly one of maradonas greatest napoli performances in a 3 nil uefa cup win over juventus and wasnt really impressed. But listen that was only mentioned in some article and might be the view of alot of people

Maradona had the most dribbles completed in single world cup (53), created 27 chances for his team, provided 5 assits, scored 5 goals (one handball).

Pretty much the best international performance

vegitot

You have no idea who was 'considered world class at time' and as I said it doesnt matter if others catch up after.

The Argentina teams were up there as strongest club sides in world at the time as were other top SA teams.

It is nonsense to make out it was 'Maradona and 10 others' and he won on own. Comes across as clueless cliches and not having any real idea.

Argentina with Maradona quiet were the better team in final. They were the best team in tournament and not just because of Maradona even if he gave all time world cup performance.

"The help Messi and Maradona received or didn?t receive doesn?t end there, and the truth is likely that neither player won or lost the World Cup for his country. It?s indisputable that Maradona outperformed what was expected of the chances he had throughout the tournament. But in the final, the highlights and the data will tell you his teammates filled that role. His offensive contribution was the fifth highest among Argentina players in the match behind Valdano, Julio Olarticoechea, Enrique and Burruchaga. Burruchaga, Valdano and Jos? Brown scored a goal each with a combined xG not quite reaching 0.5, meaning they scored about 2.5 goals more than expected among the three of them. In other words, in one match, the trio nearly equaled the expected goal plus-minus that Maradona posted in the five-match sample (+2.9).

Meanwhile, jump ahead to 2014 and Gonzalo Higua?n accounted for well over half of the scoring opportunity the ?14 team had with a 0.4 xG. His xG total was hundredths of a goal from the goal-scoring ?86 trio, so nearly identical. But Higua?n had nothing to show for it aside from an early goal called back for offside and two near misses that, on their own, each had a higher conversion likelihood than any of the three goals scored by Argentina in the ?86 final. His xG was actually a shade higher than 2014 Germany?s leader, Benedikt H?wedes, who, you might recall, missed Germany?s best chance of the match when he hit the post with a header off a corner near the end of the first half.

So Maradona not only had a more active midfield than Messi in the final, but he also had teammates finishing when he wasn?t. Which brings us to consider one chance from each match, on which Maradona and Messi played supporting roles.

Jorge Burruchaga scored a World Cup-winning goal with the last touch he had in the tournament. Assists weren?t an official stat until the 1994 World Cup, but anyone who?s seen highlights of the 1986 final knows who played the outlet ball to Burruchaga on the 84th-minute goal. It was a comparatively deep Maradona, and with deep data, we know that position to be from 2.0 metres behind midfield and 9.9 right of centre. Burruchaga?s first touch came 16.9 metres advanced of midfield and 10.9 right. He took three touches before his shot from 10.3 metres from the goal line and 9.7 metres right, which came with a 10.7 percent chance of scoring.

Twenty-eight years later, Higua?n was in on Germany keeper Manuel Neuer in the 21st minute of a scoreless match and took a one-time shot 16.4 metres from goal and a shade left of centre, which came with a 17.3 percent chance of scoring. It was Argentina?s best opportunity of the match. It came after Kroos ? ironically enough given his ball movement efficacy throughout the tournament ? played an errant header behind Germany?s back line following a Messi air challenge on Mats Hummels."

https://www.statsperform.com/resource/revisionist-mystery-messi-maradona-argentina-world-cup/

MagIX

Did you watch all those matches? Also are those stats about dribbles key passes and chances created officially written down or are they just something you heard about? I'm a bit sceptical only because I recently watched supposedly one of maradonas greatest napoli performances in a 3 nil uefa cup win over juventus and wasnt really impressed. But listen that was only mentioned in some article and might be the view of alot of people

Yes, I wathed all the argentina matches live on TV.

eaman

Maradona had the most dribbles completed in single world cup (53), created 27 chances for his team, provided 5 assits, scored 5 goals (one handball).

Pretty much the best international performance

Alright I just thought there was no stats for dribbles and chances created back then. Maybe there was or they could just write them up while watching a match replay

vegitot

Alright I just thought there was no stats for dribbles and chances created back then. Maybe there was or they could just write them up while watching a match replay

OPTA analyzes every matches, every player since 1966 world cup. Now they have all basic and advance stats for each player but it is not easy to access their stats.

JamDav1982

Argentina has not won anything since 1993, compare to 1986 when they won 1978 world cup 8 years before.

Maradona has the best world cup performance,better than Messi but also his teammates were better than Messi's during that campaign. Maradona always said how good his team was during 1986 tournament and even said he was more lucky than Messi though he usually changes his words. Mario Kempes also said something similiar.

From Maradonas debut in 1977 until he retired in 1994 Argentina won four intl trophies and he played in one of them. They had a far stronger era than now. It is not een remotely close.

Folk like to make out he carried a group on nobodies to a WC as it fits a narrative when it isnt even needed as he had such a great WC.

Even in 1990 when he was average really bar one great assist v Brazil Argentina were solid enough to find way to WC final.

Daniele

I was 8 eight years old and I saw almost all the matches of that world championship.
Argentina have been improving game after game. During the qualifying rounds, there was a draw with the reigning champion Italy. Then a difficult qualification to the quarterfinals with Uruguay.
Then Maradona started to shine and scored two mind-blowing goals against England and Belgium. The one against England equal to that of 19 years old Messi with Getafe, but more beautiful. I remember seeing it live and experiencing a magical and indescribable sensation.
Argentina with France Brazil and Germany were among the 4 best teams of the tournament for style of play and organic: Ruggeri, Brown, Hector Enrique, Burruchaga and Valdano were excellent players in top form.
To explain Maradona I would say that he is a Messi who has concentrated all his best plays in 5/6 years

FCMessi

Messi did well with this trash Argentina line up.

Swap Neymar with Messi and you have a even stronger Brazilian team.

Last edited:

Ritchie

Maradona waa lucky to have great team mates but his performamces were also outstanding. The problem is we never saw that kind of performances from Messi in WCs. 2018 he was bad, 2014 good in group stage but only in scoring. 2010 was his best WC if we look his overall performance, he dribbled like crazy and has created so so many chances but was unlucky. His best argentinia tournament so far was 2016.

It was Maradona that screwed Messi out of a World Cup in 2010 at his peak with his pathetic management and leaving some of their best players at home.

In 2014 Messi wasn't properly fit and had his weakest season for Barca but almost led them to glory

In 2018 the team was a complete shambles. 2006 maybe he could have made the difference if Pekerman brought him on and they'd have probably gone on to win it had they beat Germany.

MagIX

I was 8 eight years old and I saw almost all the matches of that world championship.
Argentina have been improving game after game. During the qualifying rounds, there was a draw with the reigning champion Italy. Then a difficult qualification to the quarterfinals with Uruguay.
Then Maradona started to shine and scored two mind-blowing goals against England and Belgium. The one against England equal to that of 19 years old Messi with Getafe, but more beautiful. I remember seeing it live and experiencing a magical and indescribable sensation.
Argentina with France Brazil and Germany were among the 4 best teams of the tournament for style of play and organic: Ruggeri, Brown, Hector Enrique, Burruchaga and Valdano were excellent players in top form.
To explain Maradona I would say that he is a Messi who has concentrated all his best plays in 5/6 years

Sweet memories :)

After the tournament yes we can say that Argentina, Brazil, France and Germany were the best teams. But Argentina was certainly not a top favourite at the beginning of the tournament, unlike the other 3. There were many doubts about the team and also about Maradona

Bilardo (Argentina coach 1986) said:"I remember that there were many articles criticizing Diego before the World Cup. Because I made him captain in place of Passarella and that he shouldn't even be in the squad after what happened in Spain in '82, let alone the starting side. That Maradona was a failure for the national team. They said to me, 'Bochini is better than Maradona', and I didn't respond. Diego himself said to me, 'we're on our own.' And look what happened then."

Gnidrologist

Many people here say that ye olden day was more easier for skilled wizzard to shine, which is why we have lesser pool of superstars in football now days. Everything is more equal, but not of less quality so potential Cruifs or Maradonas get lesser ability to assert then selves. Then there's another opinion (that sometimes come from then same people, who agree with the former) that in ye olden days players like Maradona were hacked to death, because the play was more rough and difficult for attacking players and ref allowed it. Then which was it? From some people's perspective skillful players, who played before the 2010 and before were just lucky to play on "easy mode" or something. :)

Last edited:

eaman

Many people here say that ye olden day was more easier for skilled wizzard to shine, which is why we have lesser pool of superstars in football now days. Everything is more equal, but not of less quality so potential Cruifs or Maradonas get lesser ability to assert then selves. Then there's another opinion (that sometimes come from then same people, who agree with the former) that in ye olden days players like Maradona were hacked to death, because the play was more rough and difficult for attacking players and ref allowed it. Then which was it? From some people's perspective skillful players, who played before the 2010 and before were just lucky to play on "easy mode" or something. :)

There are plenty of skillful players nowadays and they are all showing that skill week in week out. Football is of a higher quality and better to watch than it was pre 2000 and definitely pre 90s

Home of Barca Fans