Lionel Messi - v7

Neymessi

Great Player. Horrible Captain and Leader. The seniors in this team are pussies. No wonder we get smashed every year in Europe.

:mou:

I just came across this video some months back and was absolutely shocked, not that I was surprised, if you know what I mean.

Has there been a better instance of lack of mental strength in football? or maybe in any sport? or maybe just anywhere lol.

Asylum15

Weirdly, I'm genuinely gutted he's stayed.

While he's promised to remain professional, it's going to be always in the back of everyone's minds that he doesn't want to be here. As someone posted earlier in this thread, if we see Leo sulking from Match Day 1, I'm going to fucking flip. He should have been allowed leave, it was the best outcome. Now we have to try to fit Griez, Cou (if he stays), Leo, Fati, Dembele etc all into the same team from an attacking perspective.

He's the best player I've ever seen on pure ability, a bang average captain and I'll never ever forget nor take for granted what he's done for us but I can't help but feel extremely uneasy that he's remained here against his will.

He should be stripped of his capitancy now IMO.

I agree with this. Time for a new leader in this team, take the pressure off him.

raskolnikov

Imagine keeping him hostage and adding ibsult to injury by stripping him of his capitancy.
I never felt he was a leader, also for Argentina but at this point its an insult to do it.

Ritchie

if he plays "false RW" for another season under koeman i will smash my tv

I just want to see creativity and some pace around him, after years of fatty Suarez and old men Raki and Vidal. I'd rather see Messi closer to the goal in general though but given the service.

Throw a decent midfield and forward signing to replace those hasbeens and there's plenty there, Koeman just needs to get them to gel.

Givenchy

Imagine keeping him hostage and adding ibsult to injury by stripping him of his capitancy.
I never felt he was a leader, also for Argentina but at this point its an insult to do it.

Barca comes first. We can't just ignore how bad of a captain he is because it might offend him, he wants to leave anyway. having a player who wants out as captain makes no sense

Hes the GOAT but one of the worst captains i've ever seen

KingLeo10

Givenchy's statements here can be summarized in this template:

"Messi's the GOAT but he's the worst A, B, C, D...Z".

You clearly don't believe he's the GOAT, dawg. I mean you've pointed out that he's a terrible leader, lazy, money and power hungry at various points in the last 30 days in this thread. How do those traits add up to GOAT by your own calculations. So, stop this charade. There's no need to qualify your criticism with that first phrase as if that grants your remaining argument any sort of extra validity or immunity from backlash.

I'd much rather the criticism be like Serghei who's critique is consistent with where he ranks Messi (as one of the greats and none of the GOAT business).

Home of Barca Fans