La Liga | Round 33: FC Barcelona - Granada 1-2

JamDav1982

5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders + Messi griezman. This is like valverdes close the back and Messi and inchallah

Ilaix is not a even close to being defensive midfielder and neither is FDJ.

The 'attacking' 5 will be the full backs for width and FDJ, Ilaix, Messi and Griezmann.

Bobo32

I thought Koeman would start Pedri regardless if he's tired. I'm glad I'm wrong.

Maybe the physical data finally show what has been obvious to the eye for three months now...

I am pleasantly surprised that Koeman is able to rest him, but thought there were better opportunities before to do so. I am not sure Ilaix is the right choice in front of tired Pedri, and I am not sure that it's so wise to play Umtiti either...

Total-Football

I should stop visiting these threads before the games, always a load of pessimistic bs

It Is not pessimism as in we will loose points or anything.. It's just being a barca fan implies a certain asthetics bar to be respected. Having results while playing attractive football is the barca way. Pragmatism is not the barca way and we will never accept it. So a coach plays super safe with only results in mind I'm having a problem with it as a barca fan. I give koeman a pass for this difficult period though.

Bobo32

Yeah let's see.
With Frenkie as a CB and three attackers, the three at the back wasn't so defensively balanced.
I am surprised there was so little moaning about this team balance. Messi + one attacker, then 4 box to box players and 4 more or less purely defensive players.

behindbrowneyes

I don't think Koeman trusts Dest at all. Maybe thinks he's not confident.

Tbh, I agree with him. Dest impressed me in a positive way when he joined. This completely changed when he was dealing with physical problems around New Year though. He looks like a different player since then.

Not that Roberto had a great game at the weekend lol

Porque

I think Granada at home would be a worthy call to use a 433.

A few observations:

-Umtiti giving rest to Lenglet at CBL is not too much of a problem. Better Umtiti in a back 3 than a back 2. Only Q is if you would rather Umtiti or Firpo.

-Roberto starting is fine as long as Dest is being rested for the Valencia game. At home vs Granada is a nice game to try and build Roberto's match fitness.

-Ilaix will probably be the most supporting of the midfielders towards the attack. I think his tactical instructions were a bit off versus Villarreal (covering the AML-SS area rather than giving another body in midfield) so let's see how he does today as a bonafide starter. Let's also see how much Pedri work is truly missed. Happy to see him see the bench.

-I typed Puig in my phone and the popcorn emoji appeared. Not even lying.

Porque

Tbh, I agree with him. Dest impressed me in a positive way when he joined. This completely changed when he was dealing with physical problems around New Year though. He looks like a different player since then.

Not that Roberto had a great game at the weekend lol

Semedo was also impressive in his first games. And then his normal level kicked him, save for a few fluctuations of very good to very poor over the years.

I like Dest, but I would not be surprised if he becomes a top RB or a midtable RB. It's all in his head as to which he becomes. Still I would take him over Roberto for the Valencia and Atletico games. Let's see if Roberto is better today than last few appearances.

behindbrowneyes

Semedo was also impressive in his first games. And then his normal level kicked him, save for a few fluctuations of very good to very poor over the years.

I like Dest, but I would not be surprised if he becomes a top RB or a midtable RB. It's all in his head as to which he becomes.

True Story. Was thinking the same.

Then I thought 'fuck it, he is still very young and is just having a dip in form or is lacking confidence '. The thing that worries me is that wingback with a back 3 should really fit his strengths, but he isn't doing anything productive in the final third

Home of Barca Fans