Kalidou Koulibaly

khaled_a_d

Still a beast, like him very much but a bit too old imo. Even with his contract expiring in 2023 I think Napoli will still want something like 50m (at least at the start of the summer waiting for a better offer, we can't afford to wait until last days of TW for them to decide to sell and miss on other potential targets though) which is clearly too much.

We'll see what will happen next year but I wouldn't be against signing him on a 2-year contract in 2023 if he'll become a free agent and won't have too crazy demands (unlikely as this will probably be his last chance for a big pay check). Don't see Koulibaly as a realistic target for this summer though.

Reports now are we're close to sign Christensen, if Azpi comes as well then I don't see us signing another CB. Pique is playing good enough to think he'll stay another year so with him, Araujo, Eric, Christensen, Azpi (who can cover both RB and CB) we have solid depth. Still need a world class CB imo but think we'll have to wait with that until 2023 if we're serious about getting Haaland this year.

If Pique decides to retire, I won't mind long negotiations with Napoli if it means getting him for under 30M tbh.
Could be the perfect stop gap for our defense tbh.
Still, my first option remains getting Lisandro
PS: I don't buy that we have agreement with any FA, those guys will wait till last moment till they see biggest offer.
Worked perfectly for Donnarumma and Wijnaldum

Andresito

Staff member
I was going to check if we had a chance of a lower price if Napoli miss out on CL, but damn they're currently sitting 1st in the table lol.

Trafalgar

The ship for Koulibaly going to Europe's biggest clubs might have sailed now.

Should have left while he had the chance to.

What a shame! He had everything needed in a CB. Loved watching the guy.

The man's career almost reads like the Harry Kane of CBs

30 years old is not that old for a CB especially if he's athletic, Coulibaly is actually in his prime.

Blackened

A little below those 3. More error prone than VVD and Godin. More disciplined than Ramos.

Ok I'll explain in FIFA-esque terms for clarity and easier reference.

Say in their best season, those 3 were like 91/100 overall rating.

Koulibaly would be an 88-89. Easily world class and a top 3 CB itw in his Prime.

He's decent on the ball but as a pure defender, he's amazing. Strong as an ox, great at tackling and intelligent at marking and tactical awareness. Very complete defensively and more than good enough on the ball. Plus has leadership traits and a warrior mentality. Wasted his career at Napoli imo.

Koulibaly at his best is a better defender than Varane at his best and Pique at his best(defensively; Pique way better on the ball).Koulibaly could have been one of the best CBs of this generation.

A great post. Thanks.

RF20

Banned
30 years old is not that old for a CB especially if he's athletic, Coulibaly is actually in his prime.

Yes and I subsequently corrected myself and said that this move to Barca will be his last chance.

He's already not as imperious as he was 2 years back. Still world class though

Andresito

Staff member
Xavi Hern?ndez is a maximum supporter of the idea of signing Kalidou Koulibaly (30) from Napoli this summer, and the club are already in quite advanced negotiations with the player. The main obstacle however, is Napoli's asking price for him. They want 40 million euros. [as]

Turns 31 this year and has one year left on contract. 40m feels excessive.

Porque

Perfect age. Allows us to sell him for nothing in a few years time or buy out his contract.

It's how we role.

Meanwhile Liverpool sign Van Dijk to improve their central defence, go on to reach 3 CL finals and he is still a year younger than Koulibaly.

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

Damn almost 31, wasted so much time at Napoli. Defensively would be a huge improvement over guys like Lenglet or Garcia, but shouldn't pay anything close to 40M considering his age and contract ending in 2023.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Perfect age. Allows us to sell him for nothing in a few years time or buy out his contract.

It's how we role.

Meanwhile Liverpool sign Van Dijk to improve their central defence, go on to reach 3 CL finals and he is still a year younger than Koulibaly.

van Dijk and Koulibaly are the same age. Both born in 91.

I think it would be a great transfer if they are able to push down that 40m asking fee somewhat. Sure he'll be 31 this summer, but I think we can get four more good years out of him. He would be our best CB instantly and a leader in the backline. Would also give us a couple of more years to assess our options and sign a younger guy to take over for him.

Offer 25m and throw in Riqui Puig for free as a gesture of goodwill :coffee:

Home of Barca Fans