João Laporta

Birdy

Safer risk based on their experiences in Europe?

If Xavi managed a team in Europe and they got relegated, would you still think he was the man for the job? Rijkaard of course suffered relegation, so did Klopp with Mainz.

Did any of that have an impact on their success later? Maybe...

Did any of those job give anyone an indicator they were cut out for better jobs, I’d say no. Whether Xavi manages Al Sadd, Mainz, RB Leipzig or the Kazakhstan national team, it has no relevance to his ability to manage Barca.

All the European experience does is give fans reassurance he’s the right man for the job.

Nah, you are so wrong about that!

First of all, we are in 2021, many teams can be built to play the football Xavi wants to play.
The 'only Barca can play thus' is a misguided belief. There is no 'ability to manage Barca' separately from the ability to succeed at the top level in Europe.
Pep proved it.

Klopp did not get from Maiz to Liverpool, he worked step by step and with every step he was proving he is the man for the job. Same with Nagelsman who did not jump from Hoffenheim to RM, but his next club after Leipzig will be a big one.

Xavi IMO has to take a serious next step in a significant team in Europe and prove his abilities, and showcase his football against top opponents

fergus90

Nah, you are so wrong about that!

First of all, we are in 2021, many teams can be built to play the football Xavi wants to play.
The 'only Barca can play thus' is a misguided belief. There is no 'ability to manage Barca' separately from the ability to succeed at the top level in Europe.
Pep proved it.

Klopp did not get from Maiz to Liverpool, he worked step by step and with every step he was proving he is the man for the job. Same with Nagelsman who did not jump from Hoffenheim to RM, but his next club after Leipzig will be a big one.

Xavi IMO has to take a serious next step in a significant team in Europe and prove his abilities, and showcase his football against top opponents

I never said 'only Barca can play thus'. What I'm actually saying is what you've gone on to say, the fact that many teams can be built to play the football Xavi wants to play.

On the subject of Pep what were your thoughts on his appointment in 2008? Was his year at Barca B enough to convince of his European pedigree?

Birdy

On the subject of Pep what were your thoughts on his appointment in 2008? Was his year at Barca B enough to convince of his European pedigree?

No, but the fact that it happened once does not mean it can happen in the future.

The ill-effect that Pep had is that nowadays every club legend that is trying to make his first steps into coaching is thought by club hierarchies as material for their 1st team, and that can backfire awfully

fergus90

No, but the fact that it happened once does not mean it can happen in the future.

The ill-effect that Pep had is that nowadays every club legend that is trying to make his first steps into coaching is thought by club hierarchies as material for their 1st team, and that can backfire awfully

I agree with that, back in 2008 I wanted Gus Hiddink as coach as was actually pretty disappointed we got Pep (how glad I was to be proven wrong). But if you were to ask me what former player I'd think would make an excellent manger I'd of picked Xavi.

I couldn't care for 'Barca DNA' but to me Xavi is a legendary player with a deep understanding of the game, outspoken leader, captain as a player and learnt under the best. However If we were to get Naglesmann or someone of that ilk I would not be disappointed at all.

JamDav1982

The fear with Xavi would be that he doesnt realise the gulf in pace/power of the top teams and still tries to play what he sees as 'pure' Barca football with players that cant compete physically.

Coming out with comments about pacey attacking players like Aubameyang and Mane and suggesting they would not fit as Barca need a different more technical player is a bit of a red flag.

Can never really tell until he gets the job and of course he can amend his beliefs in that time as well.

Joan

The fear with Xavi would be that he doesnt realise the gulf in pace/power of the top teams and still tries to play what he sees as 'pure' Barca football with players that cant compete physically.

Coming out with comments about pacey attacking players like Aubameyang and Mane and suggesting they would not fit as Barca need a different more technical player is a bit of a red flag.

Can never really tell until he gets the job and of course he can amend his beliefs in that time as well.

They let you go?

Horatio

You're welcome

I expressed the exact same thing a minute ago but worded it as "if he will be able to adapt to modern football".

That said, once he thinks he is ready for the job I definitely want to see him get his chance.

fergus90

I watched an interview he did with someone in English where he said he'd sign Sancho and Gnabry for Barca if he could, i'll try to find the link. So I guess he recognises the need for pace.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Surely he’d realise that the Pep versions of Barca were physical as anyone and not just technical. Didn’t stop running and pressing most of the game and could compete physically with any team.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Cruyff had Salinas, Van Gaal had Kluivert, Rijkaard had Eto'o. I mean those guys know fair a bit more about total football than Xavi.

I'd much rather stick with Koeman who is more experienced, has more authority and more pragmatic in his views but still a disciple of great Dutch school that we took as our own here.

Xavi needs to stick his head out of oil money and gain experience where it matters before coaching Barca.

serghei

Surely he?d realise that the Pep versions of Barca were physical as anyone and not just technical. Didn?t stop running and pressing most of the game and could compete physically with any team.

That's what I think as well.

The team Xavi played in was very physical. There's no real evidence to suggest Xavi would neglect the physical part if he's named as manager.

Last edited:

Birdy

But football evolved since 2009.
Pressing was really in nascent stage back then.
Now it's ABC of football, and there are a lot more physical elements into the mix.

If Xavi has in mind the 6 sec rule and only what they did under Pep, that's not enough

KingLeo10

But football evolved since 2009.
Pressing was really in nascent stage back then.
Now it's ABC of football, and there are a lot more physical elements into the mix.

If Xavi has in mind the 6 sec rule and only what they did under Pep, that's not enough

:lol::lol:

The pressing that we employed, especially in 10-11, was more sophisticated and relentless than any other pressing I've seen. Liverpool's in their heyday may look more industrious but that's because they had a blockhead midfield compared to football savants like Xavi and Iniesta. And even Busquets in those days.

[youtube]vP397_vH8xo[/youtube]

Show me something better than this.

Vilarrubi

:lol::lol:

The pressing that we employed, especially in 10-11, was more sophisticated and relentless than any other pressing I've seen. Liverpool's in their heyday may look more industrious but that's because they had a blockhead midfield compared to football savants like Xavi and Iniesta. And even Busquets in those days.

[youtube]vP397_vH8xo[/youtube]

Show me something better than this.

When Busi still had enough pace for his running to be classed as running rather than a geriatric jog :worthy:

Looking at this it explains why Koeman didn’t have the team pressing as a unit vs PSG, were too slow and old now. They’d have passed it round us with ease imo if we’d have pressed (they did anyway without lol)

Home of Barca Fans