Jeremy Mathieu

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Never said anything about Athletic mate. Obviously now wouldn't be a good time for a youngster to make his debut. I'm just saying that over the course of the season it makes more sense to have a 19 year old with no significant experience be be the sub instead of an old man without the slightest clue of how to play the position. As far as the LB position goes for tomorrow, we're pretty screwed but I'd rather go with Vermaelen simply because he hasn't screwed up yet, and we know Mathieu will.

Fair enough, I can agree with that... :cheers:

JackSparrow

Why so much hate on Matheu at LB? Sure he made a mistake defensivley after which he had a menthal blockdown and didnt recover. But he did play on that position before and did well.

Also he is quite useful when going forward. He assisted to Neymar at Gamber cup and he assisted Suarez for a goal that was wrongly dissalowed.

Give him some slack! :)

God Serena

Why so much hate on Matheu at LB? Sure he made a mistake defensivley after which he had a menthal blockdown and didnt recover. But he did play on that position before and did well.

Also he is quite useful when going forward. He assisted to Neymar at Gamber cup and he assisted Suarez for a goal that was wrongly dissalowed.

Give him some slack! :)

He made two massive mistakes that nearly costed us the game. Everything positive that you are mentioning is from preseason, which matters even less than an Adama dribble in the Copa.

Whenever he's been used at LB in a competitive game it has resulted in disaster without fail. He should be a CB and nothing else.

AnnieSureshot

I'd put Mathieu on LB and watch what follows through my fingers. Unfortunately, to me he seems to be the best option out of a bad bunch right now. Can even score and assist on a good day and is pretty fast.

Last edited:

anguy

. As far as the LB position goes for tomorrow, we're pretty screwed but I'd rather go with Vermaelen simply because he hasn't screwed up yet, and we know Mathieu will.

Vemaelen will play as CB, Mascherano was poor too against Sevilla. Anyway Mathieu mistakes when playing as LB are mostly mental. He forgets where he should play and goes too far to the center. That's fixable. It's not easy, but more fixable, than lack of speed or poor tackling. Also people are forgetting that his screw ups when playing as LB came after he played as CB for a long time. Perhaps with more matches as fullback, he'll improve.

silvia

he has to deter early cross from opponent in the airial. It was easily opened by that.
He made some crucial mistakes, but i see it also came from midfielder problem. Xavi left, Iniesta out, no one could hold the ball and loose the tempo.

Catalan Fan

We definitely need to get some cover for LB/LM and have done for a while.

Arda and Vidal were good signings imo, but both right footed predominantly.

anguy

We definitely need to get some cover for LB/LM and have done for a while.

Arda and Vidal were good signings imo, but both right footed predominantly.

Gerson :)

Turan is perfect for LM, Iniesta is right footed too. Grimaldo was supposed to be our LB backup, but after last season I'm not so sure (quite poor defensively).

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
So you think a 19 year old with no significant experience in top football should play a final against Athletic Bilbao? I'm all for giving him chances, but this aren't the right matches to do it...

I understand that you don't want Mathieu to play LB, but we can't just throw Grimaldo to the lions (no pun intended) in an important game... So in my opinion it's either Adriano or Mathieu or maybe Vermaelen as viable options... Or maybe Lucho can go crazy and use a 3 man defense or even re-discover Pedro as a LB, hahaha...

Baptism by fire :lucho:

God Serena

Mathieu out of squad for "tactical reasons" - looks like LE is pretty pissed off after his recent performance.

Didn't Lucho say puta Mathieu at one point during the last game? Not surprising. Anyone who thinks we're being too harsh is being too soft.

I nominate Roberto to play LB.

serghei

As bad as Mathieu was it was Lucho's decision to keep playing LB.

Lucho has made mistakes before, and all coaches do actually. We did win the Cup though, so he got away with that mistake and now he seems to have learned from it. I have no complaints.

Home of Barca Fans