Jean-Clair Todibo

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
IF we missed on those players, Todibo won't be the reason.
Those players are expensive and has many suitors and we don't hold any of the cards to get them. Especially when you consider the club has many holes in many positions and we can't just go on auction for every player

We're not spending a penny on transfer fee on Rabiot and Tobido, and we're earning money through our other sales + a couple of other sales to come.

It's just a poor excuse at the end of the day. Where do you think they're planning on spending the money then?

On a LB? On a GK? On a striker? Which striker then?

xXKonan

You also have the look at City's motivation in wanting to sign him as well.

Would he actually be a part of City's first team with Pep wanting to work with him? or would he end up being the standard low risk signing City usually makes and being farmed out on loan possibly to never make an appearance for City and be sold for a profit?

Don't get me wrong I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing for Pep but he was probably wasn't convinced by the Club's plans itself.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You also have the look at City's motivation in wanting to sign him as well.

Would he actually be a part of City's first team with Pep wanting to work with him? or would he end up being the standard low risk signing City usually makes and being farmed out on loan possibly to never make an appearance for City and be sold for a profit?

Don't get me wrong I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing for Pep but he was probably wasn't convinced by the Club's plans itself.

That actually sounds like us. Marlon and Mina. Our recent track record of signing young CB's hasn't been that great. Lenglet is getting minutes primarily because Umtiti has been injured.

George_Costanza

Don't want another French player anymore. Barca should implement a diversity policy when it comes to non-Catalonian players.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Don't want another French player anymore. Barca should implement a diversity policy when it comes to non-Catalonian players.

What? Why? France, along with Spain and Germany, is where a lot of young talent is.

Sign the right players, nationality doesn't matter.

xXKonan

That actually sounds like us. Marlon and Mina. Our recent track record of signing young CB's hasn't been that great. Lenglet is getting minutes primarily because Umtiti has been injured.
Oh I know we aren't perfect either and I still think Marlon would have still have made a good squad option for us and suited us better than Yerry did.

But With City, they are known for snapping up young talent in Europe and farming them out and very rarely the end up returning. Which is shrewd business as they are making some profit by doing so. Todibo probably was convinced he would be more important to us than just City I guess.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Oh I know we aren't perfect either and I still think Marlon would have still have made a good squad option for us and suited us better than Yerry did.

But With City, they are known for snapping up young talent in Europe and farming them out and very rarely the end up returning. Which is shrewd business as they are making some profit by doing so. Todibo probably was convinced he would be more important to us than just City I guess.

Speaking of this, I wonder what City Group's plan with those satellite clubs such as Girona is, do they see them as incubators that grow and develop players that will eventually be City bound?

xXKonan

Speaking of this, I wonder what City Group's plan with those satellite clubs such as Girona is, do they see them as incubators that grow and develop players that will eventually be City bound?
Probably, but if I remember correctly one of the reasons City Group bought Girona is because they would easily have access to some of their top youth talents. It also helps Girona are playing some La Liga football and would be a great place to farm out some talents for them to get some experience.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Probably, but if I remember correctly one of the reasons City Group bought Girona is because they would easily have access to some of their top youth talents. It also helps Girona are playing some La Liga football and would be a great place to farm out some talents for them to get some experience.

Very smart strategy. Sigh, I wish we could do that. But that comes with a price that I am not willing to pay: Having a rich single-entity owner.

George_Costanza

Plain stupid thing to say. Nationality has nothing to do with quality.

Not really, I don't really have the time to explain to you how stupid and counterproductive to sign/hire one nationality only in a multicultural/multinational corporation. It seems you never worked in one.

Joan

Not really, I don't really have the time to explain to you how stupid and counterproductive to sign/hire one nationality only in a multicultural/multinational corporation. It seems you never worked in one.

Ona nationality only? We've got 3 French players in the squad. 4 if Rabiot comes. That's far from 'one nationality' only.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
After being so much against this guy he's really gonna turn into a World class defender isn't he?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Even with Rabiot and possibly Todibo coming we will have just 5 French players (Umtiti, Dembele, Lenglet + 2), it is not that many and not a problem at all.

It is only a problem if say Abidal prefers French players and only signs French players at the expense of other talents that we need.

Home of Barca Fans