Ivan Rakitić

xXKonan

Who doesn't have issues with Valverde's tactics?
50226898.jpg

:p

serghei

Not so sure that's the case anymore. Shit passers don't own the midfield at the World Cup for their national teams. There could be other issues with him that are impacting his performances, i.e. tactics, being overplayed and others.

He didn't look like a player who can't pass out there.

Maybe we kind of limit our midfielders by how slow we're passing to the point that every single attack looks like long, boring positionals with no penetration. Using this in a defensive way so as to keep the ball longer away from our defense could have something to do with it.

Thing is we often slow the game down, and based on what I've seen in these games, it's not because Rakitic can't pass.

Last edited:

xXKonan

Not so sure that's the case anymore. Shit passers don't own the midfield at the World Cup for their national teams. There could be other issues with him that are impacting his performances, i.e. tactics, being overplayed and others.
Valverde's system reminds me of Van Gaals at United.

A lot of focus on Ball possession and control, just without the creativity. Just seemed so constrained that it doesn't allow some players to be as effective as they should even if they have some limitations.

Morten

Very good midfielder, Croatia surely has one of the strongest midfields in the tournament with this guy and Modric leading the way.

El Gato

Villarato!
He's a direct player. He doesn't like the stupidity of having ball hogs who drive the ball from the halfway line. Just not a perfect fit for him in Barca.

serghei

He's a direct player. He doesn't like the stupidity of having ball hogs who drive the ball from the halfway line. Just not a perfect fit for him in Barca.

Thing is this Barca is actually one of the few ones in recent years that use negative possession a lot. Older Barca versions almost always pulled the trigger when in space.

Valverde's system reminds me of Van Gaals at United.

A lot of focus on Ball possession and control, just without the creativity. Just seemed so constrained that it doesn't allow some players to be as effective as they should even if they have some limitations.

I think there are plenty of clues who could indicate that the way we approach attacks is with a defensive agenda. As if we wait for teams to get in defensive shape so they don't have passing options when they get the ball back. This gives us more possession but a lot of that is stale with the opponent set firmly in good defensive shape. It also gives us a quieter time at the back. The downside is that it's very tough to advance the play with no risk and almost no spaces.

The solution is to stop using Messi as this sort of magic player who could pick any pass no matter how the opponent is set up. This has been proven to be false against top teams that put in a very cohesive and organized defense. We don't have fast transition defense-attack which is something that helps midfielders find valid options.

Last edited:

JerseyAddict

I told it 1000 times here. He is doing what he is told to do in Barça. Raki is a great midfielder with great shot and passing. But in Barca he is working mostly for a defence and to support attacking mids.

He is playin like a beast this WC. Aswell as he did on last Euro.

Tekkers

he doesnt play like this in barca because the system is to just pass the ball to messi and let him initiate the attack. its the same thing in argentina. if i see this same "play everything through messi" football next season while barca have coutinho, dembele and some new midfielders then i might just quit watching them.

its not that this team doesnt have talent its just that they refuse to utilise them. rakitic didnt just suddenly become this player overnight, he was this exact player at sevilla, but unfortunately since joining barca the national team is the only chance he's had to display his talents

xXKonan

We need to change formation to 4-2-3-1 and play him at CDM
Feel like a double pivot of Busi and Rakitic is to slow especially if you have a forward line that has Suarez and Messi.

Happened last season with Busi and Rakitic and Iniesta getting eaten alive by faster players on the break as Suarez and Messi weren't tracking back nor mobile enough either.

El Gato

Villarato!
Thing is this Barca is actually one of the few ones in recent years that use negative possession a lot. Older Barca versions almost always pulled the trigger when in space.

I mean, so what? Raki clearly loves playing direct, playing a longer pass to head or to feet. Barca don't play like that, because Messi and Suarez don't go up for aerial duels to knock the ball onto the trailing winger. It's pretty much the sole constant Raki has in Croatia in Mandżukić and Rebić. He can play the ball to anyone he likes, whether high or low, when playing out from the back. Not what happens in Barca, because you drill your passes low. He looked just fine with Sevilla when they had Negredo, Gameiro.. Very different attack styles that he doesn't mesh well with. Nor was he was never allowed to be the CAM/#10.

Home of Barca Fans