Ivan Rakitić

dakt

Yeah, till then...wepeee. Who needs midfield in modern football..and our bench is loaded with options.

kilian

When Madrid bought Modric after a few games everybody was laughing. 35 mil for Modric, who is not world class etc etc. He was even named the biggest transfer flop of half season or something like that. Next season he started beasting and today he is one of their best players and everybody is drooling - wish we had him bla bla.

I know that it is hard to understand from a spectators point of view, but the players are also human. Ivan is with the squad for 3 months and played 9-10 games. What do you expect from him? He had some very solid games, but he has probably the toughest job at the moment, to replace a legend like Xavi in Barcelona midfield. Of course he sometimes plays too secure. I`m not saying he will start beasting for sure, like Modric did. But let`s give the guy atleast 30-40 games with the club, before we start criticising him. Even Neymar, who is a top talent, didn`t have a spectacular first season.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think Lucho abandoned his own ideas when he left Rakitic on the bench and started good old trio Busi-Xavi-Iniesta.
If the analysts were correct about Lucho and shifting Barca's focus from midfield to attack then it really made no sense to revert to old tactics. Especially when Suarez was starting too.

I think Lucho abandoned his own ideas when he left Rakitic on the bench and started good old trio Busi-Xavi-Iniesta.
If the analysts were correct about Lucho and shifting Barca's focus from midfield to attack then it really made no sense to revert to old tactics. Especially when Suarez was starting too.

Spot on , that midfield was clutching and hoping for the past and it was never going to work and never will again .

R

Ryu Hayabusa

yes he is. have you seen his defensive workrate? what does xavi offer? tempo? control? where was the tempo, where was the control? xavi is shit against bus parking teams who counter-attack. at least rakitic has the energy to track back and cover for alves. that and many other factors make rakitic a better player xavi is right now, and we need rakitic more than we need xavi now. xavi will never be 2009-10 again

His standards are also much better.

Gaudi

Why? so slooow, with the ball and without , i dont see much except a pretty darn good shot that he nearly never releases in the Barca jersey.

I'm not disagreeing, he looked better in Sevilla, I'm just saying hes a player that looks good when team looks good, actually very simillar to Kroos in that department. My point is that Barca system is broken, we onl rely on individual class, Rakitić won't do much good in this system against top teams. He can be very useful player in good team, on the other hand noone can expect 11 world class players in first 11 and another 7 on the bench, this is why coaches exist and it's their job to create team from individuals. Otherwise we as a fans are no different from the problems we see in our game, let's fix everything by buying super class players. No, let's fix the system and then we'll se if some players are not offering enough.
It's not coincidence that Pedro or Busi looked super good in a system that worked flawlessy, now it looks like all our players are out of form, and I don't buy that.

Last edited:

Schumi

When Madrid bought Modric after a few games everybody was laughing. 35 mil for Modric, who is not world class etc etc. He was even named the biggest transfer flop of half season or something like that. Next season he started beasting and today he is one of their best players and everybody is drooling - wish we had him bla bla.

I know that it is hard to understand from a spectators point of view, but the players are also human. Ivan is with the squad for 3 months and played 9-10 games. What do you expect from him? He had some very solid games, but he has probably the toughest job at the moment, to replace a legend like Xavi in Barcelona midfield. Of course he sometimes plays too secure. I`m not saying he will start beasting for sure, like Modric did. But let`s give the guy atleast 30-40 games with the club, before we start criticising him. Even Neymar, who is a top talent, didn`t have a spectacular first season.

It's really difficult for the fans, the manager(s) and the press to accept that the glorious years of Xavi and Iniesta are now gone. We all need time to let that sink in. Maybe we were a somehow lucky that Messi did not score that one-on-one with Iker. A win away against our eternal rivals and European Champions (let's never forget) would have completely blinded us all to our fundamental failings. Now we are at least more sober and thankfully we are still league leaders. Better to lose in October rather than in a CL game in April. So, yes, Rakitic will be given his chance, we have no other option atm.

When Madrid was negotiating for Modrić, Barca was too busy buying Song. Cause that's how we roll.

The most aimless transfer in world history?

cro-man

We should have bought kroos with him together. We would have decent midfielders to choose and maybe they together could work perfectly. If its true that we didnt want him and he did want to come to us our whole managment should burn. Same thing with isco who end up there and he is getting better and better...Its not only getting a good player its taking players from real to stop them getting better.

dakt

It's not the same. Modric's skills were brilliant in Tottenham, one could already see back then that he's world class.
On the other hands, Rakitic just lacks that brilliant ball control and calmness in possession.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
He was gr8 against RM when he was with Sevilla actually

And he wasn't too bad against us either, so this whole "not a big game player" judgment is a bit arbitrary. And I'm never really sure what "Barca material" exactly means, but the strengths he has and offers are definitely material that Barca need and could have used in a game like yesterday's from the start; if only he wouldn't be used exclusively in that role out wide where we don't really benefit as well from him as we could. Also agree with what was said about him not being the best player to change a game; actually in the second half Barca could have used a sub exactly like Xavi, a calming and organisating presence coming from outside that hadn't already been dragged into the disorganisation and mental chaos of the play on the pitch.

F

Flavia

I think Lucho felt the pressure. Made no sense to abandon completely everything he was doing till now.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Every one wanted Xavi to start ahead of Rakitic before the match because of control and shit. But we (and lucho) forgot that iniesta busi and xavi are what they used to be they can not win midfield battle against RM or Bayern. Both RM and Bayern will punish if we play that midfield.

Home of Barca Fans