Iniesta vs Zidane

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I can not really judge because I haven't witnessed Zidane's career properly (started watching football in 2005).

raki

Messi vs tristiano is pointless. There´s only Messiah.
Zidane is(was) a better player than Iniesta. His better performances were in Serie A golden age not in RM.

ebc_99

Iniesta for sure, Zidane played in good enough teams to have similar success to Andres but wasn't good enough himself to win more titles. People seem to remember the great moments from ZZ but forget how inconsistent he was. ZZ Didn't play well in the 97 or 98 Champions league finals while Iniesta was brilliant in all 4 of his finals and ZZ also wasn't consistent enough to win more league titles, only 3 in his career. Had ZZ had the consistency of Iniesta, Juve and Real would have won more league titles.

Overall their international performances were about equal, though Iniesta still has time to do more. But Zidane didn't strike up a relationship on the pitch like Iniesta did with Xavi, it is a team sport and the ability to connect with your teammates is a strength of Iniesta's that Zidane doesn't have to the same level.

iniesta_8

I'm a big fan of Iniesta (see my forum-name:), but I want to be honest:

Regarding football-skills only, Zidane was clearly better. He was not only one of the best playmakers ever, he also was a very good scorer, better shoot and far better header than Iniesta.

Still I like Iniesta more regarding his personality and unselfish play. The fact that he won more trophies than Zidane is simply because he played in the best team ever.

StarLord

m8 there is no such thing as "leadership". It just means good players play good.

Terms like "leadership" are too vague and intangible for anyone to provide definitive proof for or against. What I can say though is the following:

a) The term is overused.

b) Sometimes, yes, good players just play well in big games. Why call that "leadership"?

c) Ascribing an ageing star player with "leadership" qualities is a polite/desperate way for sentimental fans and managers to justify fielding said declining star player beyond their sell-by dates.

d) This talk about "leadership" in football is more of a social convention among football fans and pundits rather than anything substantial, or a way to react to a good performance from a venerable player if you will. Something similar can be seen when a side under an established manager wins a big game and we get all the "Mourinho-masterclass", "Sir Alex-masterclass", "Pep-masterclass", "Ancellotti-masterclass" shower of cliches. It just makes the life of journos simpler because it can be readily consumed by the wider public.

Home of Barca Fans