How to approach the rebuild

i_bleed_blaugrana

Formation & Tactics

CAED44B8-AB73-4387-81BC-43E4E1BF9C28.jpg

Nothing too much to talk about here outside of the line-up selection. Really feel like Puig should be given plenty of minutes in this role and formation. His strongest traits right now are his ability to set a quick tempo to our play and that is going to be key to making our 433 work again.

He is a lot faster than people give him credit for as well, can cover a lot of ground out there so having him sit deeper and a bit more conservative than Pedri would mitigate any physical shortcomings in his game. If Gini comes, I am sure he will start as in this role and he can offer a bit defensively and give us a target man in the box but Puig will make the system work better overall. We can get a lot lore out of Gini off the bench when we need something different than starting in this formation.

Otherwise, pretty standard. Emerson will need to underlap at times but he can really help Messi with his energy on that flank. Aguero occupying and pushing the back line combined with Ansu/Depays pace in behind gives us goal threat and should give Messi more space to operate between the lines in.

06928F17-4003-4599-93B6-1D55AC09692E.jpg

This is the one formation where Gini starting makes sense. If he does not come, Moriba in this role could be strong. We just need our two CMs to be very defensively strong and can cover ground so Pedri/Puig/Kays should really only be offensive subs if we are chasing a goal/changing shape.

Dest in the LWB role here could really give this shape some offensive bite too. Like I said, he really is not a bad shooter and the pace and energy him and Royal would provide on the wings could be great.

de Ligt or Garcia can both be great in the libero role but de Jong should still be an option there. I really like this formation when we are going to face an open opponent and away from home when we need to be more direct.

Especially if we face a team like Chelsea or anyone else who is running 3/5 back system, this needs to be our answer tactically speaking.

7B7A3021-A149-4E55-BA47-A13B12820C1C.jpg

I still think the false 9 could work especially with mobile, aggressive CBs that can defend a high line well. It is even more crucial in a traditional 433 and especially with de Ligt and/or Martinez and Araujo, we have CBs with the recovery speed and reading of the game to not get destroyed like we did when we played high with Lenglet-Pique.

de Jong covering the space left by the fullbacks will be important, as will be squeezing the field and overloading the ball side. One thing I forgot to illustrate in the graphic but I am sure is obvious is the need for overlapping fullbacks here.

Wingers have to provide width to stretch back lines and open up spaces for the midfield and Messi to attack. Both CMs in the box is a must for this formation to work so I again, can see someone like Gini having some joy in this formation. If not, either Moriba or Puig could work there. Kays would also really shine being able to drift out wide occasionally and occupy the space left by the LW.

Felt like this was the best place to post all of this. Excuse the length, I really try to be a lot more concise and brief than this but we got a big task on our hands.

I am excited however! I think Laporta is doing a great job so far in the situation and I do not think a lot of my suggestions stray too far from what is reasonably plausible.

Let us hope together with Alemany & Cruyff, Koeman can expand his ideas and help implement a template that we can continue with into the future.

Last edited:

Bobo32

Your attachments doesn't work for me.
Only skimmed the posts but seems pretty reasonable to me.

gasgas

....................Donnarumor
Emerson...Araujo......Garcia.....Alba
...camavinga....fdj.......pedri
.dembele........messi...depay

Bobo32

Tactics section was fixed so you should be able to see all the attachments now.

I do now!
Not very revolutionary but pretty sensible overall. I am of course very sad to see Busquets not included, and I don't think Frenkie can play that role very well. Playing with two pivotes might suit him more yes.
I do think, without knowing the players very well, that these two CBs would be a good fit though. Pjanic and Griezmann should be of Juventus interest, nice.

serghei

I like Depay as a 9 much better than Aguero, who is puffy, slow, and would basically be a crappier Suarez who moves too little and too slow.

Something like this for a 3-4-3 would be sensible, with only the names we either signed or are close to signing, no De Ligt dreams made true. Puig first sub for Pedri ideally, but we all know Koeman will fuck it up as usual and give him pure garbage minutes if he stays.

Mingueza for Araujo very good sub as well. Lenglet for Garcia for the other spot, De Jong moved in CB-DM role. Wijnaldum and Moriba fight it up for the box to box midfielder role, Pedri and Puig make the deeper CM role with playmaking role.

1851585-FC-Barcelona.jpg

Last edited:

Bobo32

I like Depay as a 9 much better than Aguero.

Something like this for a 3-4-3 would be sensible. Puig first sub for Pedri ideally, but we all know Koeman will fuck it up as usual.

1851585_FC_Barcelona.jpg

I might write some novel like i_bleed_blaugrana did in the coming weeks on how my vision for next year is, although maybe some users already know most of my views from my earlier posts.

But in this setup you posted, one obvious switch I'd make is between De Jong and Garcia, based on their way of playing. De Jong could surge forward a lot more from that LB position I think.
I don't know your thoughts behind Wijnaldums position either, furthest forward in midfield. Maybe no thought, it's only shirts on a pitch, but a bit unintuitive to me, I'd say the only reason to play him would be if he could help cover a lot behind Pedri and Emerson in this case, so that they can go forward more.

jamrock

If anyone has kun & messi in their imaginary 11 they should delete thier account, that's just a no no... Even though in reality that's what koeman is likely to start 🤦

serghei

In such formation and names, it will be better to get Fati to his original position as 9, and put Depay as LCAM.
it will be more of 3421 with Messi and Depay playing behind Fati, put everyone in his natural position.

Since when is Fati's original position a 9? He's wide forward, not a 9. If anything, Fati and Depay could interchange positions often.

khaled_a_d

Since when is Fati's original position a 9? He's wide forward, not a 9. If anything, Fati and Depay could interchange positions often.

Since he started playing football.
He has played only 1 year as inside winger before moving to 1st team. And was considered no9 for B team that year.
EV preferred to get him as LW because it is easier for young player to adapt on that rather than playing against strong CB.
He is very close to a player like Villa.

serghei

Since he started playing football.
He has played only 1 year as inside winger before moving to 1st team. And was considered no9 for B team that year.
EV preferred to get him as LW because it is easier for young player to adapt on that rather than playing against strong CB.
He is very close to a player like Villa.

Koeman played him as a LW too before he got injured. With Griezmann and Messi as false 9. Don't see him as a clear 9 playing between central defenders. Not strong enough. He'll be a mobile player alternating between lw and appearing often in the box. But he'll be starting his movements from the left.

Funny you mention Villa, since he was also that wide forward-winger type for us. As was Henry before.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans