Group F: Argentina, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainsaw

Killahead
The flight of the ball clearly changes. Zabaleta gets a very fine touch on it.

I think it was a penalty. Zabaleta took the ball first but caught the Iran player too then even if unintentional. The boys should consider themselves lucky their cheep ass performance didn't cost 'em dearly on some occasions.

MagIX

Maradona won the world cup by himself in 86

Not true. never existed, does not exist and it never will exist a player who alone win a tournament. If you do not have a good team, you do not win anything even your name is Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldo (brasilian),.....
Argentina 86 had no big names but it was a very compact team. Maradona was absolutely the best player of a good team (6 assist, 5 goals but WHAT A GOALS!!).
Argentina was lucky to play from the 1/8 till the final vs not so good team (Uruguay, England and Belgium) . On the other side of the board: Italy, Brazil, German and France. For exemple France had to win vs Italiy 1/8, vs Brazil 1/4 and vs German 1/2.
Argentin played "only" vs 2 big teams: Italy (1-1) and German in final (3-2).

Said that, for me Maradona is the best player i have ever seen :worthy:

zanela

Fernandez should be dropped, he is the weakest link in defence. I dislike Demichelis but if I was Sabella I replace Fernandez with him for next match. Fernandez is just an average defender and he get caught on speed and even in the air several times. The man just cannot be trusted.

And Demi can be trusted? :lol: FF gets caught on speed, and Demi doesn't? And what was so unforgivable that FF do, that you're hating on him? I'd rather an avg DF, who is consistent, than a "better" defender who will let the team down at the most critical moments. It was his "clearance" against BVB, that led to Malaga getting kO'd from the CL, and I'm sure BM fans have similar stories to narrate. He's an accident waiting to happen. No thanks. This defense got them through the WCQs, and should stay the way it is, any changes at this juncture can prove risky and counterproductive. (I don't remember the exact oppn, but it was Demi's blunder in the beginning of Sabella's era, that got him kicked out of the squad in the first place, no way should he be allowed back in the first XI unless injuries to the starters, even then I'd rather Camps or Basanta)

Chainsaw

Killahead
"Won by himself" is an overstatement for giving extra credit to a particular player. Maradona was not just an incredible player, he was a charisma and a leader. His mere presence made the others playing their heart out. That's why many who watched Maradona usually put him above anyone else, even Messi. I'm just sorry this didn't help him in being a better coach unfortunately.

Chainsaw

Killahead
And Demi can be trusted? :lol: FF gets caught on speed, and Demi doesn't? And what was so unforgivable that FF do, that you're hating on him? I'd rather an avg DF, who is consistent, than a "better" defender who will let the team down at the most critical moments. It was his "clearance" against BVB, that led to Malaga getting kO'd from the CL, and I'm sure BM fans have similar stories to narrate. He's an accident waiting to happen. No thanks. This defense got them through the WCQs, and should stay the way it is, any changes at this juncture can prove risky and counterproductive. (I don't remember the exact oppn, but it was Demi's blunder in the beginning of Sabella's era, that got him kicked out of the squad in the first place, no way should he be allowed back in the first XI unless injuries to the starters, even then I'd rather Camps or Basanta)

Did I say Demi can be trusted? I'm just picking the best out of the worsts. Do FF have to make such a deadly mistake so you drop him? His positioning and awareness is poor. Just because Argentina didn't concede doesn't mean it's all good and fine back there. At least Demichelis has more experience and played for bigger clubs on a regular basis than being a part time defender at Napoli! And I really dislike Demichelis. I know he's sucha massive brainfart. But FF doesn't give me any more confidence than Demichelis does. But the quality Sabella brought to Brazil in the backline doesn't give us many options to decide.

Jenks

Iran attempted just 130 passes against Argentina, the fewest made by a team in a World Cup match since 1966.

But of course they deserved credit and the point. :rolleyes:

When you consider the level of talent they have in the team then they do deserve a lot of credit, yes. They made the margins incredibly thin, and with a bit of luck or a better ref they might even have won it.

AURELIUS

When you consider the level of talent they have in the team then they do deserve a lot of credit, yes. They made the margins incredibly thin, and with a bit of luck or a better ref they might even have won it.

Really ? A better referee might have clamped down on the time wasting and called offside for Gucci's shot. The margins were not thin.

BrazilFan

People are too harsh on Argentina tournament. Every team with the favorite tag has noticeable weakness that can be exploited by each other. No clear favorites in this tournament IMO. Anybody can win it at this point.

AURELIUS

Judging by your avatar, maybe you can answer what happened to Pastore ? He was supposed to be a big thing a few years ago but i don't follow serie a or liga 1. Was he very bad for PSG last season or is he injured ?

He's been up and then down. Still lacks application in terms of his team play. He has bags of ability, the ability to do the unexpected but doesn't grab games by the scruff of the neck or produce enough regularly or consistently. He still has time on his side. But Sabella does not like playmakers like him anyway so he remains in exile. Just one sub appearance under Sabella in Bolivia. Did play quite decently at the tail end of the season but Messi occupies his role.

AURELIUS

Also, how is Rojo Motm? His umpteen no. of wayward crosses gave me a migraine. He also failed to convert his chance. He saw more of the ball, but lacked any efficiency or application in the attacking third. Too robotic for my liking.

Two crosses were very decent. A good attacking outlet. Covered well on his flank compared to Zabby and showed the requisite application. Yes a couple of crosses were wild and so was his shot but the sort of effort in some of the other players would be appreciated. Besides he is playing out of position. Not bad for a natural centreback.

L

linetty

3rd smaller country that has been robbed so far?

Bqq4IiyCcAAtWp-.jpg:large

:(
lol, that picture doesn't tell what really happened

Chainsaw

Killahead
People are too harsh on Argentina tournament. Every team with the favorite tag has noticeable weakness that can be exploited by each other. No clear favorites in this tournament IMO. Anybody can win it at this point.

Nothing harsh really. They deserve every bit of criticism they get. Argentina is the most underachieving big team out there in the last 20 years. Each WC they are tagged as the favorites with lots of qualities to their sides, and yet the furthest they go is the quarter final. The team should be criticized where it's due so they could fix it before it's too late.

MagIX

It's the midfield that worries me, not the defense (that surprised me positively).
I have serious doubt that the fab 4 will work with stronger team. imo we have to sacrifice one of the four for a midfield (i do not consider Dei Maria a midfield).

zanela

Sušić drops Kola vs Nigeria. Decides to experiment in a must win game. I'll cry if BIH lose (killing my sleep to watch them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans