Franck Ribery

Cule4life

The Culest
I meant that him being a criminal or not really just depends in which modern, western european country he happens to have sex in. I really don't give a fuck him banging that hot girl :D

The discussion was not whether he was a criminal or not mate but whether his wife forgave him due to love or something else

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
And I think it was childish to distract the conversation from the brilliant post I posted here.

Yeah, let's get on topic: Even among Bayern fans there is no clear consensus that Ribery is more deserving of the BD than players such as Robben or Lahm.

Ribery is a great player, no doubt about it. The issue is, so is every other Bayern player. Ribery simply doesn't stand out. If we go by actual numbers that helped Bayern get the treble, the CL in particular, Robben carried Bayern more than Ribery did.

Robben for BD!

Crews

Yeah, let's get on topic: Even among Bayern fans there is no clear consensus that Ribery is more deserving of the BD than players such as Robben or Lahm.

Ribery is a great player, no doubt about it. The issue is, so is every other Bayern player. Ribery simply doesn't stand out. If we go by actual numbers that helped Bayern get the treble, the CL in particular, Robben carried Bayern more than Ribery did.

Robben for BD!

And like it has been said earlier, Ribery's importance cannot be measured only by stats, that way Messi would absolutely win it but there's more than just scoring and you Barcelona fans have forgotten that.

pEllee

And like it has been said earlier, Ribery's importance cannot be measured only by stats, that way Messi would absolutely win it but there's more than just scoring and you Barcelona fans have forgotten that.

Does his work rate contribute more than Messi's 61 goals? Probably not.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

So how is his importance measured? How about Lahm's importance off the stats? Basti's? If anything, Basti being the playmaker (albeit less prevalent than before, increasingly it is Kroos), the guy who set the pace of the play, the guy who distributed the ball and linked up defense and offense seamlessly, the real midfield general, was more important to Bayern's overall success than a LW who did not score that many goals or key goals to carry the team.

pEllee

It's much more than just his work rate but if you so well ignore everything said about Ribery I may as well ignore your kind of fanboy.

:lol:

I'm not a fanboy at all actually.

I'm aware of his playmaking skills as well. And yes, I read the post you quoted and it was certainly very well written. However. if you look at it, and break it down piece by piece you'll realise how flawed it actually is.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
:lol:

I'm not a fanboy at all actually.

I'm aware of his playmaking skills as well. And yes, I read the post you quoted and it was certainly very well written. However. if you look at it, and break it down piece by piece you'll realise how flawed it actually is.

If Ribery has any playmaking abilities, he must have not unleashed them yet. Most of what he does involves dribbling past through one or two players down the touchline or the byline, and then providing a perfect pass to a player inside the box. Him playmaking in the sense of distributing the ball, finding players in open space via through balls or chip passes etc., I for one haven't seen it.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Copied this from the Bayern forum:

Re: OFFICIAL: FIFA Ballon d'or 2013
by Robben #10 Today at 1:17 am

.*bleep* me; I don’t even think half of the people here have even watched Bayern play more than 10 matches over the last season. Some of the posts I have seen suggesting that Ribéry is nowhere near the level of Messi, Ronaldo, etc. and that it is even arguable that he is even the best player on his team are just out of this world. Some people thinking they can quantify Ribéry’s importance to the team with just goals and assists—it’s just moronic logic, if anything Robben’s importance is solely based on his end product.

If you ever watch Bayern, you will see that Ribéry is our most valuable player. He is the fulcrum to the attack, the leader of the team, and the driving force towards the quadruple. There’s a reason why we haven’t lost in 39 Bundesliga matches with him. The only match we lost last year was because we lacked his incisiveness in the final third.

I don’t even understand the rationale some of you are using to beat Ribéry with a stick when it comes to the Champions League. Prior to Kroos’ injury, Ribéry was consistently creating opportunities and being one of, if not our best player in the Champions League. You can literally go down the list of matches and just pick out vital moments where Ribéry was fundamental to the attacks. In his worst match against Valencia in the 1:1 draw where they were parking the bus, he was playing through pain. He said it, Heynckes said it, Schweinsteiger said it. He’s so valuable to the team that even when he is in pain, he has to play in the crucial match against Valencia, even with Robben and Shaqiri able to play.

What I see that nobody has pointed out is that after Kroos’ injury and when Müller replaced him, Ribéry always had to play deeper in order to support the midfield, something that Kroos always did and something Müller and Ribéry can’t do. That’s why against Juventus, he wasn’t the most important player in the attack. That’s why against Barça and Juventus, he wasn’t the most important player in the attack. Has anyone in this thread ever wondered why Robben and Müller had their best games AFTER Kroos’ injury, AFTER Ribéry had to play a more reserved role, AFTER Robben had to be the more incisive winger in our midfield, AFTER Müller was given a more goal scoring role? It’s actually so obvious to see and notice: go to a Bayern board and ask someone who is knowledgeable why Ribéry wasn’t our best attacking player in the knockout stages, and chances are they will tell you exactly what I am saying. The fact that some of you are overlooking how much work it takes to make Alaba look like a phenomenal defender is ridiculous. The only mistake that Alaba made defensively through the Champions League was slipping against Walcott in the 0:2 loss. Guess who was playing ahead of him? Not Ribéry, and that’s why there was an absolutely massive gap for Walcott to exploit ahead of Alaba.

Ribéry is given complete creative freedom in the Bundesliga and he is by far the best player in the Bundesliga. It’s not even a debate. The fact that Schweinsteiger won a rigged German Footballer of the Year vote is not even worth commenting on. Those that go out of their way to think Lahm is our best player or most valuable don’t know what they are talking about. We lose more without Ribéry than we do without Lahm, and that is when we replace Ribéry with a much better replacement than Lahm. We played Rafinha for a consistent stretch of matches later on in the season and he was playing extremely well, that’s how insignificant the quality of defenders we actually need in our team to excel in the Bundesliga.

We don’t need a player who is the end station for all of our attacks like Ronaldo is for Madrid because we are past that. We don’t need to solely rely on a player for offensive output like Messi is for Barcelona because we are past that. The quadruple is proof of that. Our highest goalscorer didn’t even score 25 in the season, yet we were still able to outplay every team in our path. Our closest call in the Champions League shouldn’t have even been close—Arsenal were put away until their ghost corner that they scored from.

What we have in our team is a leader both offensively and defensively, someone who can consistently get us out of the gutter with a touch of magic, someone who even when he isn’t at his best offensively, will work his ass off to keep playing the ball for the team. It’s so obvious to see that Messi doesn’t contribute at all off the ball, neither does Ronaldo. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is just talking out of their ass.

Ribéry is a team player first, a playmaker second, and a scorer third. The vast majority of the chances he creates aren’t even put away, some of them being so simple. The likes of Mandzukic, Robben, and Müller have all missed absolute sitters over the past 6 months. Ribéry has by far been our most consistent player over the past 15, 18 months. You can literally count the amount of bad matches he has had over the past 12 months on 1 hand. In the Bundesliga, I doubt you can even muster up 1 or 2 matches over the past 12 months where Ribéry has performed poorly.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if you question Ribéry’s importance to the team, you don’t even watch Bayern play consistently. No excuse, reasoning, will change my opinion on that. Ribéry is definitely not the best player in the world on talent or skill, but in terms of importance he is the most crucial player to the best team in the world.

Jesus, it’s like some people just look at the stats and just make a judgement on how important or how good a player is. Ribéry’s importance to the team goes far beyond goals and assists. It’s like so many of you want to bash the other player in question just to make your own preferred player look better. I don’t even care if Ribéry wins the Ballon D’Or or not, he’s already won European Footballer of the Year which is an equal accomplishment. I’d rather see mostly reputed journalists in Europe voting for Ribéry instead of the *bleep* captain of Morocco and Lebanon or the media from Liberia. Even if Ribéry is a *bleep*, I’d be glad to see that he made it on the top 3, or even top 2.

Some of you fanboys really need to take a look at yourselves in the mirror. Every single year it is OMG!!! MESSI OR RONALDO!!! NOBODY IS NEAR THEM etc. Every year it's either the Ronaldo or Messi fans that get butthurt (Madrid fans for the past few years) and then there are the stupid conspiracy theories, etc. Ribéry is just as deserving of this award as Messi and Ronaldo are.

Let's be honest, most of this post is over-dramatized and wound-out BS. You can literally see how hard he's straining to pinpoint every possible observation about Bayern to Ribery's supposed unappreciated brilliance. Like most people, he looks for someone to blame/credit for everything he sees; Ribery being the most convenient outlet for him, he finds the most out of the ballpark ways to connect any positive aspect of play with how Ribery is somehow responsible for it.

His entire post reads as such: "Why was Alaba any good? Ribery, because of that one situation that somehow indicates everything about Alaba or Bayern's left flank defense. Why did Bayern not lose 39 games? Ribery, because he was playing and Bayern won, therefore everything about those victories can be credited to him.-*Insert random overly-meticulous excuse for criticism on Ribery in CL here*-. Why were Robben and Muller any good? Because Ribery let them be good by letting them have freer roles. Why was Bayern's defense so unstoppable last season? Because Ribery is the leader of the defense. Why was Bayern's attack unstoppable? Because Ribery was the fulcrum of the attack.........etc."

My satirical interpretation is obviously exaggerated for the purpose of making the point, but you get it either way. His process for glorifying Ribery's output in the "hipster, non-statistical way" could be applied to any player known to man. Hell you could make the likes of Arbeloa seem like an unappreciated genius by doing this whole 'connect X positive observation to Y player' system. Messi and Ronaldo are easily beyond Ribery's level on an individual standpoint. They've defied almost every conceived limit in terms of goalscoring/attacking output and will go down in history books as some of the greatest players of all time. Ribery has had an outstanding year, but it's foolish to suggest that he's reached those superhuman levels of footballing talent.

Crews

Let's be honest, most of this post is over-dramatized and wound-out BS. You can literally see how hard he's straining to pinpoint every possible observation about Bayern to Ribery's supposed unappreciated brilliance. Like most people, he looks for someone to blame/credit for everything he sees; Ribery being the most convenient outlet for him, he finds the most out of the ballpark ways to connect any positive aspect of play with how Ribery is somehow responsible for it.

His entire post reads as such: "Why was Alaba any good? Ribery, because of that one situation that somehow indicates everything about Alaba or Bayern's left flank defense. Why did Bayern not lose 39 games? Ribery, because he was playing and Bayern won, therefore everything about those victories can be credited to him.-*Insert random overly-meticulous excuse for criticism on Ribery in CL here*-. Why were Robben and Muller any good? Because Ribery let them be good by letting them have freer roles. Why was Bayern's defense so unstoppable last season? Because Ribery is the leader of the defense. Why was Bayern's attack unstoppable? Because Ribery was the fulcrum of the attack.........etc."

My satirical interpretation is obviously exaggerated for the purpose of making the point, but you get it either way. His process for glorifying Ribery's output in the "hipster, non-statistical way" could be applied to any player known to man. Hell you could make the likes of Arbeloa seem like an unappreciated genius by doing this whole 'connect X positive observation to Y player' system. Messi and Ronaldo are easily beyond Ribery's level on an individual standpoint. They've defied almost every conceived limit in terms of goalscoring/attacking output and will go down in history books as some of the greatest players of all time. Ribery has had an outstanding year, but it's foolish to suggest that he's reached those superhuman levels of footballing talent.

Great post, but I think we have to agree to disagree here.

Mr Hulot

Ribery is the most talented and exciting Bayern player, but he is trying to reap an individual award out of Bayern's success. I really love him as a player and I have defended him here, but if Bayern lost to Dortmund in the CL final, nobody would have talked about him as an contender for the ballon d'or. It is time for fans to understand the difference between individual and team awards. I remember back in the day , that some people were seriously suggesting that Sneijder should have won it, for exactly the same reasons that they are now suggesting that Ribery should win it. The fact is that Ribery always was the most talented and exciting Bayern player, but he was never talked as one of the world's best, even though he "lead" his team in two CL finals, before wiinning it last year. The most ironic thing is, that Javi Martinez, Boateng and Robben were easily Bayern's best performers in that specific final.

I merely wonder. Does anybody know how many goals+assists Ribery has in comparison to Cronaldo, with whom they share the same position?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Ribery is the most talented and exciting Bayern player, but he is trying to reap an individual award out of Bayern's success. I really love him as a player and I have defended him here, but if Bayern lost to Dortmund in the CL final, nobody would have talked about him as an contender for the ballon d'or. It is time for fans to understand the difference between individual and team awards. I remember back in the day , that some people were seriously suggesting that Sneijder should have won it, for exactly the same reasons that they are now suggesting that Ribery should win it. The fact is that Ribery always was the most talented and exciting Bayern player, but he was never talked as one of the world's best, even though he "lead" his team in two CL finals, before wiinning it last year. The most ironic thing is, that Javi Martinez, Boateng and Robben were easily Bayern's best performers in that specific final.

Exactly.

Mr Hulot said:
I merely wonder. Does anybody know how many goals+assists Ribery has in comparison to Cronaldo, with whom they share the same position?

Not even close. Even when it comes to assists, Ribery is only slightly ahead of cr7.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
"Sakho disappointed me.

"He disappointed me about what he said recently. Anyway, that's how it is in football. He gave his opinion. This is life. It's not a serious issue."
OMG! The cry baby! Give it to him and be done with it already

"I would vote for Cristiano Ronaldo," the France international told beIN Sport on Monday. "He is a high-level player and athlete and the statistics of the Portuguese are really impressive.

"It is obvious my heart would vote for Ribery, but the numbers don't lie."
This is what Sakho said, for the record

Home of Barca Fans