FC Barcelona Finances

serghei

The club will borrow or do whatever it takes to make a big signing and new poster boys.
That will be the right move, without such signings revenue will fall and it will be downhill. Stars are more important to revenue than trophies, though trophies creates the stars.

It's tricky though. And you can make a case that Ansu Fati is that star. Doubt the club can afford to spend 100-150m. on a player anytime soon. We're in this mess because the wages haven't been kept in control, because of too many galactico type signings, and not ultimately, because of covid pandemic.

All 3 will need to disappear or be drastically reduced. Wages brought in check, no more galactico signings for a while, and hopefully, the pandemic ends too this year.

FinBarcelonafan

This is an excellent idea. A lot of fans around the world would love to have a club membership without needing to go to Camp Nou every year. I bet most of this forum would join as a member if that requirement was dropped. Give global members like 0.5 of a share and vote and I think it could work. Charge a yearly fee.

Also, I agree with selling the rights to the stadium to some sponsor. We are in desperate need of money. I'm sure many sponsors would pay big bucks for it. Camp Nou is the biggest stadium in Europe and I believe the most visited by tourists

Sooo true and during Corona times traveling to Barcelona isn't even option.

I would sign up immediately..

JamDav1982

It's tricky though. And you can make a case that Ansu Fati is that star. Doubt the club can afford to spend 100-150m. on a player anytime soon. We're in this mess because the wages haven't been kept in control, because of too many galactico type signings, and not ultimately, because of covid pandemic.

All 3 will need to disappear or be drastically reduced. Wages brought in check, no more galactico signings for a while, and hopefully, the pandemic ends too this year.

I agree the club wont pay 100m+ on players but will put forward Fati, Pedri, FDJ and Dembele as the face of the club.

Wages were not as out of control as made out and were within the 70% ratio even with Messi on massive contract.

Bigger issue has been bad money on wages and then covid has had huge impact.

serghei

I agree the club wont pay 100m+ on players but will put forward Fati, Pedri, FDJ and Dembele as the face of the club.

Wages were not as out of control as made out and were within the 70% ratio even with Messi on massive contract.

Bigger issue has been bad money on wages and then covid has had huge impact.

I've read in multiple sources that we have clearly the biggest wage bill in the world and it doesn't sit right with me considering we've not been in the top 3 for 5 years already.

I don't see any reason why Barca should have bigger wage bill than Bayern or Liverpool.

JamDav1982

I've read in multiple sources that we have by far the biggest wage bill in the world and it doesn't sit right to me considering we've not been in the top 3 for 5 years already.

It is the biggest and also have biggest revenues. It was within the 70% ratio and sure it was around 56% last time seen the breakdown.

There was not much difference between Barca and Madrid until Ronaldo sold and Messi on his new contract.

Bad money on salaries but not unsustainable... until covid.

serghei

The club made its dealings (transfers, wages) on the false idea that the revenue will not decrease, but increase. Then this crisis hit and they've been caught badly. Normally, the club should consider some margins of error. Barca didn't have that. Probably other, better ran clubs had it.

JamDav1982

The club made its dealings (transfers, wages) on the false idea that the revenue will not decrease. Then this crisis hit and they've been caught badly. Normally, the club should consider some margins of error. Barca didn't have that. Probably other, better ran clubs had it.

Of course they budgeted on revenues not decreasing. Covid has had a huge impact and on type of revenue Barca get.

Every club in world does same at that level.

Easy to be general after war but seems strange clubs dont have insurance to cover these type of circumstances.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Looks like we'll be forced to sell some players we dont really want to sell.

Ansu? Pedri?

Dembele is a given.

Then there is the small matter of settling Coutinho, Griezmann and Messi.

Fun summer.

We won't be selling players that we don't want to sell. Keep in mind in the current depressed market players sales won't generate much money anyway.

Chances are the new president and board will have to refinance the debt (as we have done before), basically kicking the can down the road. That just means that we will have less to invest in acquiring players and paying top wages.

serghei

We won't be selling players that we don't want to sell. Keep in mind in the current depressed market players sales won't generate much money anyway.

Chances are the new president and board will have to refinance the debt (as we have done before), basically kicking the can down the road. That just means that we will have less to invest in acquiring players and paying top wages.

Probably. We'll pay off the debt first (based on an established scheme or plan of some sort) and run with what we have left in terms of transfer budget. No more delaying the debt to fund numerous 100m transfers. Like we probably have been doing under Bartomeu.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Opening up membership also would have an impact but not sure agree with idea of that as think should be kept more in hands of the locals.

Unless the open up membership but the votes from abroad have less of a share.

With a club the size of Barca there is a lot of scope to generate those revenues.

Rename the stadium and dont give it to covid charities or whatever was planned.

Opening up membership is a no no, it will allow hostile takeovers from those who buy up a significant number of memberships to gain a lot of clout. Everybody, including every candidate has voiced opposition to this.

Camp Nou naming rights won't be a lot of money either, probably 200m-300m over 20 years.

I think it will come down to the club deciding where to spend our limited resources. Unfortunately some sections (like handball, futsal, roller hockey and even basketball etc.) that don't make profit might get axed.

serghei

Opening up membership is a no no, it will allow hostile takeovers from those who buy up a significant number of memberships to gain a lot of clout. Everybody, including every candidate has voiced opposition to this.

Camp Nou naming rights won't be a lot of money either, probably 200m-300m over 20 years.

I think it will come down to the club deciding where to spend our limited resources. Unfortunately some sections (like handball, futsal, roller hockey and even basketball etc.) that don't make profit might get axed.

Those sections operate with a tiny fraction. They won't save nearly anything of note. The whole handball section probably operates with Pique's wages for a year.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Depends a lot on the covid situation though. If the fans are back and tourists are back and all that, our revenue will go back up. The clear thing is that the wages got absurd. Those need to be cut down by a lot.

This season will most likely be played entirely without fans, or with only a small number of fans not significant enough to make a difference. At this point this season we are going to fare much worse than last season financially, the hope is really on the 21/22 season.

Home of Barca Fans