FC Barcelona Finances

Rory

Messi brings absolutely millions and millions to the club in so many ways. He most likely earns more money for us than we pay him.

1) Ticket sales - how many extra tickets are sold for the single purpose of seeing Messi play? got to be at least a few thousand per game and that's a low estimate if you've seen the amount of tourists at games. Average ticket price €100. So 3,000 * €100 = €300,000 per home game and that really is low in terms of people here just for Messi. It's much more like 5,000 - 10,000.

2) People buying official merchandise on game days / in general because of him (not talking about kits). No idea how to quantify this but think of all the extra people at the game, now think of the people who are there just for him, maybe they buy something from the food stands, the gift shop etc again no figure on this but not hard to imagine it's €10,000s a game.

3) TV money for us is highest in the league because of Messi.

Probably the same for Ronaldo as well. Didn't Juventus' stock price skyrocket when he signed or something?

jamrock

Yea still doesn't justify him being paid, $102,000,000 per year. That's an insane number and it's probably more than that due with creative accounting, plus the amount we pay in taxes as part of his wages.

The 2019 salary cap for the NFL is something like $190,000,000 if that helps to put what Messi is making into prospective.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I have no problem with that, but if he signs a contract extension it would favorable to the team if he takes a paycut so we can bring in other, better players. So I hope he thinks about that.

Although then again the guys in charge might not be able to do even that.

Andrew M

I wonder if Messi does sign a new contract if it will include a pay rise. I can kinda understand why Suarez is on what he's on because when that deal was signed (it ends in 2021) MSN was in its pomp and he was amazing at the time.

I think we're paying Griezmann too much.

What's interesting is that De Gea is the highest paid Premier League player, followed by Ozil and De Bruyne

FinBarcelonafan

Messi is the goat and the value he brings to club is very hard to determine. We are more attractive club to fans, other players, sponsors etc. So many factors to calculate. Messi is our golden goat.

I think he is easily worth the money.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I have no problem with that, but if he signs a contract extension it would favorable to the team if he takes a paycut so we can bring in other, better players. So I hope he thinks about that.

Although then again the guys in charge might not be able to do even that.

It is quite unlikely that he will agree to keep his salary frozen (with no further increase) if he extends his contract with us, let alone agreeing to a pay cut. Zero chances.

DonAK

It is quite unlikely that he will agree to keep his salary frozen (with no further increase) if he extends his contract with us, let alone agreeing to a pay cut. Zero chances.

It depends on what the club does this summer. If they tell him they can revamp the entire squad and bring him multiple top class/world class players I think he'll agree to a significant enough paycut.

I don't think he trust them though and for a good reason.

Increasing his salary wouldn't be ideal.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It depends on what the club does this summer. If they tell him they can revamp the entire squad and bring him multiple top class/world class players I think he'll agree to a significant enough paycut.

I don't think he trust them though and for a good reason.

I disagree. Messi has never agreed to a paycut for the greater good (using the money to buy players etc.) before and I don't see him doing it now. Every extension he made with us saw his salary increasing.

Not his fault, certainly.

DonAK

I disagree. Messi has never agreed to a paycut for the greater good (using the money to buy players etc.) before and I don't see him doing it now. Every extension he made with us saw his salary increasing.

Not his fault, certainly.

Well, when Messi last agreed to a contract extension we had Neymar at the club and people thought we would make a couple of great signings and get back to being CL favorites again.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Well, when Messi last agreed to a contract extension we had Neymar at the club and people thought we would make a couple of great signings and get back to being CL favorites again.

Messi's last contract extension was in November 2017, after Neymar was gone already and shortly after we spent big on Dembele and before we spent big again to buy Coutinho.

He might have problems with our current squad strength and depth but I think it is extremely unlikely he will take a paycut. These players first and foremost look out for their own interests, like most people do.

DonAK

Messi's last contract extension was in November 2017, after Neymar was gone already and shortly after we spent big on Dembele and before we spent big again to buy Coutinho.

He might have problems with our current squad strength and depth but I think it is extremely unlikely he will take a paycut. These players first and foremost look out for their own interests, like most people do.

He signed it in November, but agreed before the summer. It was even publicly announced in July.

Rory

Does anyone know how much money we'll have to spend this summer? Or are we stuck paying off the last 2 years transfers?

malvolio

Footballers in general are earning way too much, but that is mainly the fans "fault" as they watch the games and pay for merchandise. Since there is demand and more people are paying for subscriptions the only way to go is up. Maybe a salary cap should be in order, but I don't know if it's OK with the EU regulations and there is too much interest at stake from the people around football who make a lot of money from it.

Going back to Messi's salary, I think it is fair that he is payed that much. If Griezmann gets 20 mil a season for basically doing nothing, Messi more than deserves his salary. He is the goose with the golden eggs for this club. We payed nothing to bring him here and turned the club into the global powerhouse that is today.
In my opinion his impact on the club is higher than that of Cruyff.

Andresito

Staff member
Does anyone know how much money we'll have to spend this summer? Or are we stuck paying off the last 2 years transfers?

I think we've overspent the last seasons. But we have some capital we can sell in Coutinho, Dembéle and Umtiti. Then we have the older guys who can bring a bit of money mostly through opening up salary posts.

Our spending this summer depends on whom we sell. We have to act smart for once. I think the 'base budget' (if this type of budget even exists) will be around 50-60M.

A CB (Upamecano), an attacker (LW or CF) and a midfielder (max 50M) is what I think we can afford.

behindbrowneyes

From October '19:
FC Barcelona still owes Liverpool FC $104 million for the 2018 transfer of Philippe Coutinho, according to the club’s annual report.
Barcelona agreed to sign the Brazilian from Liverpool in January 2018 for a fee of for $144 million, however, over 70% of that sum remains unpaid.
Liverpool is unlikely to see much, if any, of that money however, after it „sold its account receivable to a financial institution.“
The Spanish giants also owe $166 million to other clubs, including $33.4 million to FC Bordeaux for the Brazilian winger Malcolm, who has already left the club.

Barca still owes Ajax $53.5 million for the transfer of Dutch midfielder Frenkie de Jong, while it owes Valencia $34.7 million for Brazilian goalkeeper Neto — both of whom joined the club during the summer.
https://www.businessinsider.de/inte...lion-for-philippe-coutinho-2019-10/?r=US&IR=T

:wacko::lucho2:

Home of Barca Fans