FC Barcelona Finances

FinBarcelonafan

This is very concerning. There's no tourist and socios giving up on Barca. We won't have any extra source of income. We will be in trouble.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Why do people act surprised here ? We had Bartomeu mismanaging the club for several years and nothing happened to him , heck we even got a failed vote of no confidence.

Keep in mind that we literally got thrashed by Bayern 8-2 and still nothing happend but then you got Messi wanting to leave right after that (which ironically wouldn't have put Barca in this financial mess today with the ~200M Barca could have saved and earned) and suddenly a vote of no confidence does go through.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Why do people act surprised here ? We had Bartomeu mismanaging the club for several years and nothing happened to him , heck we even got a failed vote of no confidence.

Keep in mind that we literally got thrashed by Bayern 8-2 and still nothing happend but then you got Messi wanting to leave right after that (which ironically wouldn't have put Barca in this financial mess today with the ~200M Barca could have saved and earned) and suddenly a vote of no confidence does go through.

I spoke about this with a couple of friends the other day.

Assume we had sold Messi for 100m.

What's the likelihood Bartomeu spends all that on a new dud? IMO pretty damn big.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Ill give you that. That's the only caveat in my take , that you have Bartomeu spend it like a moron. Or maybe the protests would have been harsher if he did end up selling Messi meaning he would have been out of the office sooner.

No matter what , think it's fair say that whatever money we lost on Messi last year and with him leaving him anyway that it wasn't worth 3rd place in LL and R16 exit in the CL

DonAK

Yeah. I have a feeling Bartomeu would have gone crazy and spent 100-200m, perhaps even take up another loan just to compensate for the loss of Messi and keep hold onto his role.

Would've taken an L either way.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Btw the point I was trying to make that it's actually sad that several years of CL humiliations , mismanagement of the club led to nothing. But Messi burofaxing it did and people wonder why the 30k seats couldn't have been filled.

FC433

No way we get rid of Laporta anytime soon. The best we could do is to keep pressure on him and hope things work out.

DonAK

We need to introduce a threshold where season ticket owners need to attend a min. amount of games or else they lose their tickets. There's people waiting to get them and here you have some spoiled folks or old farts who prefer to stay home and play backgammon.

They have something similar in Germany.

FinBarcelonafan

Yeah. I have a feeling Bartomeu would have gone crazy and spent 100-200m, perhaps even take up another loan just to compensate for the loss of Messi and keep hold onto his role.

Would've taken an L either way.

Based on his previous decisions, he would have taken a loan and signed two star players.

Totally crippling the club.

Neeraj

Regarding the low attendance of the socis - this is pretty normal though for August. There is almost nobody in Barcelona (and Spain) during August. I've been to the opening game for the past couple of seasons and it has always been underwhelming. The tourists make up a higher % than normal during August, and a game like Sociedad would on average what maybe bring in ~65k odd people on opening matchday, of which I would expect the split to be 70-30 or something like that.

As for selling tickets to people - I have been checking the website to get a ticket but they haven't seemed to open it up yet.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Hopefully more non-soci locals will buy the rest of the available tickets, since there are very few tourists right now.

FC433

Messi’s Departure Could Cost Barcelona €137 Million in Brand Value

Looking at Messi’s role in driving revenue for the club across different streams, Brand Finance has estimated that his departure could result in an 11% drop to Barcelona’s brand value.

In absolute terms, the club could see a €137m decline to its 2021 brand valuation of €1,266m, and lose any chance of overtaking Real Madrid. With a lower brand value of €1,129m following Messi’s departure, Barcelona could also slide down to third place in the Brand Finance Football 50 2021 ranking behind Manchester United (brand value €1,130m).

Commercial revenue: His global following makes him a highly attractive athlete for corporate sponsors and his presence at the club has undoubtedly allowed Barcelona to bring in more lucrative sponsorship deals. Messi has over 240m followers on Instagram, more than double than that of the Barcelona official account (99.5m), a stat personifying the popularity and value he can bring to any team through his sheer following alone. Brand value at risk linked to commercial revenue is estimated at around €77m.

On-pitch performance & Matchday: One cannot predict how Barcelona will perform following his departure, but he has had a colossal impact on their performance over the years and has brought a significant amount of following to the club. Messi has scored more than 30 goals a season since 2008/2009 leading the club to a plethora of honours along the way. Barcelona still presents a star-studded line up with his name off the team sheet, but they may take time to adjust without their key man.Messi’s absence from the pitch could cost up to €17m in brand value.

Shirt sales and merchandising: You can walk the streets almost anywhere in the world and expect to see someone roaming the streets wearing the iconic No. 10 jersey. Messi’s shirt sales reportedly generated over €200m, of which the club collects a portion of around 10-15% (€30m), and kit manufacturer Nike enjoy the lion’s share. This may also mean Nike will lose out on revenue following his departure should Barcelona general merchandising sales decrease as a result. With the famous ‘Messi No. 10’ off the shelves, Barcelona could lose out on €43m in brand value.

We would have spent about that much on him. Does not look too bad, on paper. Let us see how we perform on the pitch though!

Home of Barca Fans