FC Barcelona B

Messi983

Game vs Sabadell starts in 20 minutes.

Barça Atlètic XI: Marc Vidal, Trilli, Mbacke, Faye, Gerard Martin, Aleix Garrido, Marc Casado, Moha, Pau Victor, Percan, Unai Hernandez.

Porque

Looks another solid defensive pickup though Sabadell haven't really tested us.

Wonder what happens when Pau is back. Been a blessing he's called up to U17 actually. Everyone gets game time.

But Faye-Mbacke could be the start of something.

Unai having a great game, has to be said.

Messi983

Good signing.

Looked quite a player against Spain today. While we're at it also sign his team mate Sekou Kone. Other interesting talents in that Mali team as well who should make solid careers in Europe.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Good signing.

Looked quite a player against Spain today. While we're at it also sign his team mate Sekou Kone. Other interesting talents in that Mali team as well who should make solid careers in Europe.

The problem with those young African talents is that they phase out soon and rarely live up to hype.

Is it because they geneticslly develop physique earlier? Is it the mental issue? Workrate? Maybe everything a little.

Guys like Eto'o were the rare jewels.

Messi983

It's true African talents usually stand out in youth football due to their genetics so it's harder to evaluate them but that "phasing out" risk is not only exclusive to them. Just look at the list of flopped La Masia kids over the years. For every Busi or Pedro (so guys who were not hyped at all as teenagers) you have tens if not hundreds of likes of Bojan and G2S who were overhyped since they were 13-14, had a breakthrough to the first team but then their careers went downhill. And ofc many players didn't even make it that far. Including whole generation of Eto'os prodigies like Dongou, Bagnack, Ondoa,... And this whole overhyping of youngsters is much worse nowadays in social media era than it was 10-15 years ago.

Anyway, this signing is fully in the zero risk, potential high reward category. If we've found another gem then great if not we'll move on, maybe earn some money with him and find someone else. Odds that he'll make it here are probably low but you never know and these are the signings club has to make, especially in current financial situation. Also don't need to be said we've had lot more success lately with cheap signings than spending big money on players.

That said, Diarra looks like an inteligent player to me so it's not just his physics that stand out (which is more a case with some of his team mates). Don't think his longterm future is at winger though. I think he should be more involved in the game so moving him to midfield longterm makes sense. But my evaluation is based on only one game so could be wrong. I'm looking forward to see him in their next game(s).

Porque

It seems our general strategy will be to target talents at the U17 level rather than 19/20 where they are more developed but also more expensive.

It makes sense as we can mold them a little longer in the LaMasia way, which has returned to being one of the strongest academies.

Another point is our youth players are actually breaking through at an incredibly early age now.

About this kid, it's worth a punt for sure. O watched his compilations (they are easy to find) and it is clear that he has great pace, good dribbling and a spectacular first touch. His shooting and passing was however bad. But the first touch means that technically with hard work he can improve. And that I feel is the bet were making.

Xavi watched it and said
-first touch?
-great dribbling one-on-one?
-fast?
-poor passing?
-bad shooting?

"Sign him up! I got the perfect Dembele replacement"

Home of Barca Fans