• Sweden

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Croatia

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters

Abeir Toril

Albania isn't a big team, but you really don't know details about how disastrous Romania is, the coach just blamed the late dinner they had yesterday for the lethargy.

Disastrous is or was in their last match? In my opinion it is the best Romania team in the 21st century and there must be a reason for which they were drawn from the first pot in WC 2018 qualifying (regardless of the FIFA methodology you still need to win games). Generally speaking, it is a team of average players. Some of them have never left the country, and the others came back from the big football with their tails between their legs. Thus Iordănescu did what everyone would do in his place - rock defense and good organization of the game. In this respect they made better impression than Switzerland during qualifying or friendlies. I do not know what happened to them, but I suppose that the problems arose when expectations increased and the players started to prove how dark horses they are.

Pablo Escobar

Disastrous is or was in their last match? In my opinion it is the best Romania team in the 21st century and there must be a reason for which they were drawn from the first pot in WC 2018 qualifying (regardless of the FIFA methodology you still need to win games). Generally speaking, it is a team of average players. Some of them have never left the country, and the others came back from the big football with their tails between their legs. Thus Iordănescu did what everyone would do in his place - rock defense and good organization of the game. In this respect they made better impression than Switzerland during qualifying or friendlies. I do not know what happened to them, but I suppose that the problems arose when expectations increased and the players started to prove how dark horses they are.

Friendlies? :lol:

More convincing than Switzerland? They scored more than twice than Romania did and had to face England, not Greece, not only Romania was one of the least convincing qualified teams, but they looked unable to win a game in the last year except for the one against Faroe. They the easiest qualifying group where a team from Pot 5 won it, FIFA Raking makes a victory in a friendly 1 month before more important in points than Germany's win over Argentina in the World Cup final or their other wins there from 13 months before, that's why they were potted 1 in July 2015.

Romania was miles ahead in 2006-2007 when they qualified to Euro 2008 in a period they performed at club level in the UEFA Cup, a good manager would've qualified Romania to WC 2002, Euro 2004 and also World Cup 2014 was a good shot simply because of the extremely favorable Play Off draw they got, I can't recall a weaker team they had than now, all I can recall is that they never had a good manager and only went for shady names with no recent achievements, which seemed to be the problem for them in the past decades.

Last edited:

Abeir Toril

I do not expect scoring more than twice than somebody did from Romania, because they do not have adequate human resources to chase in this regard. Who would do this? The trio from Steaua Popa-Chipciu-Stanciu (btw, the last one should find himself and make progress in the West). Rusescu proved in Sevilla how much Romania's forwards are worth.

It does not really matter because teams like Romania can achieve something EURO ONLY thanks to strong defense, good organization, set pieces, counterattacks and obstructing rival. There are the ingredients of success for technically less-skilled teams. Not how much they are able to score. And Romania had it since 2014. They have not lost a match in qualifying, conceding two goals (yes,yes 'Switzerland scored more than twice than Romania did', but conceded four times more goals) and drew with Argentina, Italy, Spain in friendlies.

Of course , Switzerland will present a better futball, but it's hard it was not if Xhaka costs as much as the entire Romanian team in France. I talked about the prescription written by the ancient Greeks in 2004 and Romania seemed to have its ingredients, even after the match with France :)

Pablo Escobar

Again dude, Switzerland had to play against England, they conceded there, Romania defended their ass with Greece, Finland or Hungaryand now against Albania they sent 2 defending midfielders in front of a line of 4 defenders of which 2 full backs were completely clueless against a team who attacked with Vaduz players. The so called wingers, one was looking like an low level african-american rapper on youtube who is short and overweight because he eats at Burger King and Taco Bell while the other on the left was clearly good at one thing and that is shooting from central positions and even handling headers so rather a better presence in the box.
The striker was lonely in front, something you can't imagine when you play someone like Albania especially when you have to actually win and a potential win by 2 goals might mean a 2nd place, this is not a tactical plan, it sounds like schizophrenia to me.
And what set pieces? The only set pieces they seemed to be able to handle were the penalties, they had a couple of free kicks from good positions last night and it looked nothing like a team who trains heavily at such things, they looked preoccupied to negotiate who takes the kick, same for counter attack, I saw no counter attacking skills, just a slow, short passing and at best hoping for inexplicable mistakes from the opposition that might open the door. So what did they expect? A handball? A referee mistake after a dive in the box? Own goal? When they play San Marino in some qualifiers, will they send 2-3 DM's and hope to win 1-0?

As for the friendlies, this is almost as funny as saying we lost to Chelsea, United and later Fiorentina in the Champions Cup last year, nobody gives a damn about a friendly with Spain when you wouldn't be able to beat Kosovo or Qatar.

Antimilan

Again dude, Switzerland had to play against England, they conceded there, Romania defended their ass with Greece, Finland or Hungaryand now against Albania they sent 2 defending midfielders in front of a line of 4 defenders of which 2 full backs were completely clueless against a team who attacked with Vaduz players. The so called wingers, one was looking like an low level african-american rapper on youtube who is short and overweight because he eats at Burger King and Taco Bell while the other on the left was clearly good at one thing and that is shooting from central positions and even handling headers so rather a better presence in the box.
The striker was lonely in front, something you can't imagine when you play someone like Albania especially when you have to actually win and a potential win by 2 goals might mean a 2nd place, this is not a tactical plan, it sounds like schizophrenia to me.
And what set pieces? The only set pieces they seemed to be able to handle were the penalties, they had a couple of free kicks from good positions last night and it looked nothing like a team who trains heavily at such things, they looked preoccupied to negotiate who takes the kick, same for counter attack, I saw no counter attacking skills, just a slow, short passing and at best hoping for inexplicable mistakes from the opposition that might open the door. So what did they expect? A handball? A referee mistake after a dive in the box? Own goal? When they play San Marino in some qualifiers, will they send 2-3 DM's and hope to win 1-0?

As for the friendlies, this is almost as funny as saying we lost to Chelsea, United and later Fiorentina in the Champions Cup last year, nobody gives a damn about a friendly with Spain when you wouldn't be able to beat Kosovo or Qatar.

Interesting observation, couldn't agree more. Although, Kosovo will be quite tough to beat in a couple of years, mark my words for it!

Abeir Toril

You are talking on the last match and I about the last 2 years, so it will be difficult to match our testimony :(. Binding Romania with Greece 2004 or describing it as a dark horse is not my invention, but a prediction made ​​in BBC or Eurosport. Of course, after the game everyone is a foreteller. It is a pity that foreseeings flows when the game is over. I admitted that Romania is compromised and Albania should end EURO with two zeros in this group. However, IMHO Iordănescu should not be judge on one cataclysm within last 2 years.

Morten

Russia allowing Bale time and space on the ball, so he can turn and run at goal. Thats the exact thing you dont allow Bale to do...good job.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Russia has to attack and is leaving plenty of space for Wales and especially Bale. The last time he has had so much space was probably years ago. Or against Espanyol.

Morten

I hope Wales totally destroys them on the counter. I think everyone is happy to see Russia suffer, with all their idiotic and violent fans, they deserve it.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You are getting tiresome with your Russia bashing. Vast majority are normal fans like anywhere else.
You only betray your shallowness with your mindless hate.

Home of Barca Fans