Messigician

Some videos from our glory days in 2017-2019:
2017: Real:Barca 0:3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nZRAna38NQ
2018: Barca:Real 5:1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8jMLaLNAPE
2019: Real:Barca 0:1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLVZBN3PH6U

Btw, I have to notice that this dude Rakitic (the worst player ever) played quite well in El Classicos compared to shitty overhyped midfielders which we have today.

Yup I remember the forum blaming Rakitic and Valverde for everything and that Setien and Arthur will make us the best team in the world lol

Messigician

Managers and players regarding GOATVERDE

Pep Gaurdiola

Guardiola: Valverde has done a very good job at Barcelona, I'm glad he's staying

"Away from the great friendship that we have, Ernesto is spectacular," the Manchester City coach said at the basketball match between Manresa and Real Madrid on Sunday.

"He's done a very good job. Sure he lost the Champions League, we all did.

"[He's in charge of] a team that has won two leagues in a row and plays good football, I'm happy that he's staying.

"Barcelona continue being loyal to his style."

"Barcelona is a special place where winning the league isn't enough," said Guardiola after Manchester City beat Aston Villa 6-1 on Sunday.
I hope he stays as a club member it is what I want

Valverde?s predecessor Luis Enrique also leapt to the coach?s defence.
"He hasn't done anything, apart from what it means to have lost a match at a club like Barcelona," Luis Enrique told Movistar.

"There's always a special pressure on the coach and players there. Those who have had the good fortune to be coaches at these huge clubs know this.
"It's a risky business. Valverde is an experienced coach who has won titles and he has the chance to win more.
"I feel for him because I like him a lot. He's doing a really good job and can almost all the titles, as they're leading La Liga and are into the Champions League knockouts. He is one of the best Spanish coaches in history."

Andres Iniesta Slams Barcelona Over 'Ugly' Situation With Manager Ernesto Valverde
Daniel Marland

Published 12:05, 13 January 2020 GMT
| Last updated 12:05, 13 January 2020 GMT

Andres Iniesta Slams Barcelona Over 'Ugly' Situation With Manager Ernesto Valverde
Barcelona legend Andres Iniesta has slammed his former club's treatment of manager Ernesto Valverde and claimed their open search for a new coach is 'ugly'.

The La Liga leaders appear to be close to sacking the Spaniard following their loss to Atletico Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup on Thursday.

Following Barca's discussions with former player Xavi, World Cup winner Iniesta has expressed his shock at how his former club is conducting their business.

Image Credit: PA
Image Credit: PA

"What comes to my mind a little, if all this is so, is that the way everything is being done is a bit ugly," Iniesta told Onda Cero per MailOnline.

"I think that there should always be respect for the coach. The boss's situation position has been left very weakened.

"My relationship with the boss is very good. During the year we have been talking some times

It was a mistake to sack Valverde, he joins us among the greatest coaches in Barca history alongside Cruyff, Pep Gaurdiola and Luis Enrique"

Lionel Messi publicly calls out Barcelona over Valverde sacking this is adter his staunch defence of the manager after the Anfield loss the first time he has EVER done this.

Messi on Valverde's dismissal: 'It's easier to sack the coach than change the players.'

Messi on Valverde's tactics

Messi heaps praise on Valverde after Betis win
"(Real) Betis are a side that treat the ball well. But we didn't suffer at all," said Messi, who will return to Argentina duty in the upcoming international break, via Sport.

"We were really well organised. (Ernesto) Valverde read things well and prepared the game plan well. Tactically it was perfect. Sometimes you have to adapt to the opposition."

?Valverde is good, very good, he's a gentleman, always respected, for me he's the best coach I've ever had."

'Valverde did everything right, for me he's one of the best coaches I've ever faced'

"First of all, he's a great man on a personal level, it isn't his fault he doesn't utilisethe academy orders for that come from above ( the board)

Pique names Ernesto Valverde one of the best coaches he has ever had

For me he's one of the best along with Ferguson, and Pep.

It wasn't normal to sack him when we were top of the group.

" Valverde is a true gentleman, he refused to accept his final year payout after being sacked, our biggest regret was listening to Abidal and sacking him"
Anonymous ex Board member

And countless others support and praise Valverde.

Please don't compare those second rate coaches with Goatverde

Koeman can't even sell players without being bad mouthed by them 24/7.

Valverde is on a human level a wonderful man, a gentleman, he didn't deserve to be sacked and the board knew it

"I thought about leaving in the January window," Rakitic, who played the entire game, said post-match.

The treatment of Valverde was unacceptable on all levels"

Before coming on against Sevilla, a game that was slipping away from Barcelona, Valverde put his hand on Messi's shoulder to suggest something. He stopped. He looked at him for one second and he said, "it seems you know what you have to do." He had caught him in one of the rare occasions when he was on the bench, able to analyse what was going on like a srugeon. Messi was amazed at this emotional understanding

There's a queue to learn even more from the thousand lessons that football has offered Valverde. And there's a desire to share them.

Valverde recognised that everyone has their own style that develops from deep-rooted beliefs, almost unconsciously, but that the path is long and you polish things dependent on the players and club you're working with.

To add to this even players Valverde didn't rate and benched didn't have a bad word to say about him... speaks levels

Messigician

The day Ernesto Valverde left Olympiakos, bringing his second brief but successful spell to a close in 2012, Pep Guardiola was asked what he made of his departure. ?Greece has lost a great coach,? he said, ?and we?ve got a great photographer back.? Valverde?s work had certainly left an impression in Athens, hung on the walls of the Ileana Tounta centre for contemporary art and displayed in the trophy cabinets of the Giorgios Karaiskaskis Stadium, Piraeus ? where, according to his fellow Spaniard Michel Gonz?lez, who eventually took over as manager nine months later, he was a ?deity?.

Deity is not a word he would welcome, one former player insisting ?he evades compliments and prefers the focus to be on his players?, but he is certainly different. The man who led Olympiakos to three leagues and two cups, took Athletic Bilbao to their first title in 31 years and today became Barcelona coach began studying at the Institut d?Estudis Fotogr?fics de Catalunya when he arrived in 1986 to play for Espanyol. In 2012 he published a collection of black‑and‑white images described by the Basque poet and writer Bernardo Atxaga as ?at once delicate and tough, as if produced by two different hands?. The proceeds went to social projects in Athens.

Atxaga is Valverde?s friend. The story goes that one day Miguel Pardeza, the former Madrid player with a PhD and literary pretensions, heard that so struck up conversation on the pitch. He is also close to screenwriter David Trueba and Basque folk-rock singer Ruper Ordorika. His brother Mikel is a cartoonist. His father was an immigrant from Extremadura to the Basque Country, a worker in a tyre factory who spent six months on strike in Vitoria the 1960s ? tough, convulsive days during the dictatorship. And his wife, Monica, is a biologist.

A Stone Roses fan who likened his Athletic return to The Godfather Part II, a sequel that was actually quite good, Valverde too studied biology at university but only for a year while at Sestao River, aged 20. He was a 5ft 5in forward who considered becoming a photographer after retirement and planned to at least dedicate it time, always fascinated by what the snappers at pitchside were doing. But he said ?football absorbs your brain? and he became a manager. Now he is manager of Barcelona.

He was always likely to be. Nicknamed ?Txingurri?, the Ant, by Javier Clemente, Valverde played for Espanyol for two years, then for Barcelona before joining Athletic. At Barcelona, his spell was brief but he worked under Johan Cruyff, who he said ?made an impact on us all?. In 1994, eight years before he even began coaching Athletic?s B team, Cruyff wrote of him: ?He was intelligent and always expressed his interest to learn. As a coach he?ll be one of the most promising.? This is not the first time Barcelona have called, nor are they the only ones. Two summers ago Real Madrid wanted him: he was their first choice, ahead of Rafa Ben?tez.

Valverde said no, which says something about him. When Guardiola left Barcelona, he made two recommendations to succeed him: Valverde and his assistant Tito Vilanova. It was Vilanova they chose, seeking continuity, but two more offers followed swiftly. The next year Barcelona discreetly mentioned the job to him as they sought potential solutions to a delicate problem posed by Vilanova?s deteriorating health. Vilanova wanted to continue, so Barcelona respected that and Valverde agreed to return to Athletic. By the time doctors recommended that Vilanova did not continue, it was too late. Valverde had made a promise and he kept his word.

Tata Martino took over at the Camp Nou then but walked a year later. Again Barcelona offered Valverde the job; again he said he could not leave. When Madrid came, the response was the same. Barcelona accepted and signed Luis Enrique, but advised Valverde they would return. The change of sporting director did not change that intention and this summer, his contract up, European football secure for a fourth season, he and Athletic agreed it was time, no recriminations, no regrets.

As the former Athletic midfielder Javi Gonz?lez says: ?Everything came together. He leaves through the front door, the right way. Everyone wishes him the best and hopefully one day he can come back. At Athletic there?s a ?Before? and ?After? Valverde.?

Gonz?lez played under Valverde during his first spell at San Mam?s and speaks fondly of him. It is hard to find someone who does not. He is engaging company, generous and open, intelligent, genuine, often funny, and universally respected, rising above the rubbish surrounding the game here ? although at Bar?a, with its politics and press, its relentless repercussion and the rivalry with Madrid, that resolve will be tested. As one former player of his puts it: ?He doesn?t want to be the star and isn?t interested in the controversies.?

?I?m like every manager; if it?s in their area I think it?s a penalty; if it?s in ours, I don?t,? Valverde says. Yet few will so openly admit a decision they got was wrong as he does often and he insists that it is not right to ?try to condition referees?. Fewer cut through the bullshit with such ease, and do so with naturalness instead of affected anger.

More importantly, few reach their players like he does. ?His greatest strength is his management of the dressing room,? says the Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera. ?He?s a top coach in that sense: honest, direct, transparent. It?s not easy to find a situation where starters and subs are both with the manager to the death.?

Gonz?lez says: ?He?s very good psychologically and emotionally, a good motivator. He knows when to push, when to ease off. All coaches have ideas, badges, models, but ultimately that treatment, the dialogue and feedback with players, is vital. That?s his secret.?

Valverde admits that the Athletic dressing room is easy ? a relatively humble, largely homogenous group, 25 men all from the same small area with similar ideas and aspirations ? but Gonz?lez does not think that means he will struggle at Barcelona or that he will lack the necessary authority. Nor should the infamous ?entorno?, the swirl of politics, press and pressure, affect him unduly. When he left Bilbao, having just held a goodbye dinner for over 200 people, he insisted he wanted to go somewhere ?difficult?. The challenge suits him; he won?t shirk it.

One example comes from his handling of an infamous affair when he took Fran Yeste and Asier Del Horno out of the squad for indiscipline. As for pressure: in Greece, it was intense ? all the more so in the midst of the crisis. Olympiakos were obliged to win the league and Valverde saw passion and protests first hand, trouble on the terraces, tension on the streets, and members of his staff living in blocks with electricity periodically cut. Someone who knows him well scoffs: ?Pressure? He doesn?t care. It won?t bother him: if he has to sit Neymar down, say, he will.?

Gonz?lez agrees. ??Txingu? knows that dressing room is full of stars and you can think: ?What are you going to say to Messi?? But he will know; he?s ready,? he says. ?If he has to raise his voice, he will. Most people haven?t seen that character but behind closed doors it?s there. He?ll call a player out for the good of the team, in front of everyone, even if it is a star. He knows how to impose himself. He?s calm at difficult moments and doesn?t let the euphoria affect him in good times: in that he?s a genius. He?s calm when others lose the plot, which players welcome. But while ?Txingu? has this tranquil image ? and that is him ? he also has personality.?

He has conviction, too. After his first game in charge of Athletic, a defeat by Frank Rijkaard?s Barcelona, Valverde insisted he would not do anything he did not believe in. When he was at Espanyol, Cruyff said: ?It?s a pleasure to watch Espanyol play; I am happy there are people like Ernesto who play that way and want people to enjoy it, because that?s what football is for.? One friend calls him a ?son of Cruyff?, his fitness coach Jos? Antonio Pozanco was raised at La Masia and later worked with Rijkaard; Xavi Hern?ndez, that most determined defender of the Barcelona faith, insisted in 2007: ?Valverde?s teams play good football: they like to have the ball, they don?t just boot it.?

But while that connection matters in Catalonia, it does not mean rigidity, nor make Valverde a philosopher. ?Light matters, goals matter more. In photos and in football, you seek balance,? he said when his exhibition opened in Athens. ?Both depend on the elements you have available to you.?

?There?s variety in his system, his methods. He knows how to train: he makes it fun, a lot of the ball, technical work. He?s not repetitive and players love it ? every day is different. He?s not overly obsessed with tiny tactical details, not least because the ideas, the philosophy, is so ingrained at both Athletic and Barcelona,? Gonz?lez says. ?Besides I see some similarities between the two clubs. Lots of the concepts he had at Athletic fit Barcelona too.?

?One of his strengths is that he adapts,? Herrera says. ?In Bilbao, with Ra?l Garc?a and Aritz Aduriz, two great finishers in the air, he played in a way that aimed to get the ball into them as soon as possible, particularly from wide positions; in Barcelona, I?m sure he?ll adapt to fit the qualities of the players. These days managing dressing room egos is fundamental and Ernesto is fantastic at that. We all know what the challenge is: at Barcelona, the obligation is to win every game. But I?m sure he?ll be a success.?

To add to this I followed him at his time in Greece and he is seen as a Cruyff like figure here

Joan

Btw, I have to notice that this dude Rakitic (the worst player ever) played quite well in El Classicos compared to shitty overhyped midfielders which we have today.

I was telling some friends last night how much better Rakitic was compared to... most midfielders we see these days. Classes above anything Barca has for sure.

KingLeo10

I was telling some friends last night how much better Rakitic was compared to... most midfielders we see these days. Classes above anything Barca has for sure.

Prime Rakitic? Sure.

2017-2020 Rakitic? He was a zombie for Barcelona.

KingLeo10

He was great in Valverde's first season imo. Almost all matches.

Later I agree.

He was one of my favorite players in 14-15. And a key ingredient to our treble run...but like most Barca legends, he found a way to sabotage his legacy by overstaying his welcome. I mean, look what's happened to Busquets and Pique.

This is a cultural issue at Barca IMO.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

He was one of my favorite players in 14-15. And a key ingredient to our treble run...but like most Barca legends, he found a way to sabotage his legacy by overstaying his welcome. I mean, look what's happened to Busquets and Pique.

This is a cultural issue at Barca IMO.

Its crazy though how fast the midfield has declined in 2017 after being one of the best in the world / the best in 2015.

KingLeo10

Its crazy though how fast the midfield has declined in 2017 after being one of the best in the world / the best in 2015.

I think Juve and RM (when fully fit) had the strongest midfield in the world but we were in the mix. Bayern was close too.

I still think that the 2011-2012 CL semis and 2014-2015 CL semis are the best set of semis I've ever seen. Barca - Bayern 2015 and RM - Bayern 2012 are my favorite CL ties.

JamDav1982

Barca 2015 were not even close to best midfield in world.

Iniesta was declining and not the constant presence he was on past, Raki was nowhere near elite to point he was at his best when played a role to cover for Alves coming into midfield are and connect with likes of Messi in way Raki couldnt.

Barca choosing Rakitic ahead of Kroos was one of series of terrible decisions that led to Barca midfield not being elite.

That 2015 team was all about MSN. When they didnt play well team was often fucked.. as happened in CLs over next couple seasons.

Home of Barca Fans