England

Jenks

Germany and Argentina had a higher xGDP this quarter than that of England so an Englishman frowning upon coaches from these nationalities is a joke.

What on Earth does one have to do with the other? They're our greatest rivals. It would be like Zidane coaching Barcelona. It's a no-go.

Birdy

Explain yourself.

The fact that its 2022 and this kind of thinking has been already outdated for 2 or more decades.

Who gives a fuck (other than stupid people) what's the nationality of a coach?
What serious FAs look into is:
1) Is the coach WC/top notch in his job?
2) Can the coach deliver the silverware we want?
3) Will the coach respect/develop the style of play we want our NT to play?
These are all football-related objectives

Everything else is strictly speaking irrelevant in selecting a coach

Jenks

The fact that its 2022 and this kind of thinking has been already outdated for 2 or more decades.

Who gives a fuck (other than stupid people) what's the nationality of a coach?
What serious FAs look into is:
1) Is the coach WC/top notch in his job?
2) Can the coach deliver the silverware we want?
3) Will the coach respect/develop the style of play we want our NT to play?
These are all football-related objectives

Everything else is strictly speaking irrelevant in selecting a coach

This is patently untrue, unless you think it's by some cosmic coincidence that Germany chooses German coaches, Spain chooses Spanish coaches, and Italy chooses Italian coaches. I'm not even strictly averse to a foreign coach, I would be OK with Rodgers, but a German or Argentinian? Unthinkable. It won't happen.

fergus90

To be fair it's not that drastic a statement, plenty of National teams only have coaches from their country. Germany, Italy, Brazil and Spain have never had a foreign coach.

I can understand in some of the lower ranked nations, the managerial pool is fairly shallow so you need experienced coaches who are going to be imported. But for the international footballing giants, who also have strong domestic teams there is no excuse to not hire within.

Windhook

England had a decade long history with foreign managers with SGE and Capello. Jenks talks about the long time rivalry with Germany and Argentina, which makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

Home of Barca Fans