Denis Suarez

BarcaJack

Yup. He can never be our starting LW. Being a substitute winger is a waste of talent. For me moving to midfield is a better idea. He has to improve defensive work though.
Let's see what Lucho will do.

BTW I personally believe he is technically better than Rafinha. I cannot recall any nutmeg or free kick goals from Rafinha. And Denis seems faster. And Denis can shoot (when not suppressed).

Last edited:

Butaan4barca

Except the fact that he always plays better on either wings than when he plays as a midfielder

he is 22, and he will have to adopt. Because he just doesn't have the goal scoring instinct to play there,which is the basic need of playing LW position in barca's setup. And in addition to that, given neymar's age and profile he won't be sharing enough minutes with him.

there is no way lucho is getting him back for Neymar's deputy role only.

Pablo Escobar

We still need someone that can fulfill these roles when one like Neymar can't, somehow.

Also, we should start thinking of the "long run", Neymar or Messi don't really need to play all the time, 90/90, against Alaves or Gijon at home, we need to feel the final stages of UCL with 100% and even if we could deal with it sometimes, it doesn't work all the time.

I think we are the only big team that thinks that if a player isn't 100% a starter, he should have the right to go somewhere so he can play often because it's a human right from Helsinki for any player to be starters.

Look at Yannick for example, he isn't a clear starter but when needed, he can bring add some good horse power to the team.

khaled_a_d

he is 22, and he will have to adopt. Because he just doesn't have the goal scoring instinct to play there,which is the basic need of playing LW position in barca's setup. And in addition to that, given neymar's age and profile he won't be sharing enough minutes with him.

there is no way lucho is getting him back for Neymar's deputy role only.

No,he is getting him for the Neymar and Messi back up role,because that is where he is at his best.he didn't prove anything to even suggest he can be better at midfield over the wings.just because he has one weakness at the wing doesn't mean it won't be his position
It isn't like any back up attacker we ha this year was a scoring machine

Butaan4barca

No,he is getting him for the Neymar and Messi back up role,because that is where he is at his best.he didn't prove anything to even suggest he can be better at midfield over the wings.just because he has one weakness at the wing doesn't mean it won't be his position
It isn't like any back up attacker we ha this year was a scoring machine

I can't refuse to accept all what you say. But players who played at LW in Barcelona in recent years, Neymar, Villa, Henry,Ronalidnho : All lethal goal scorers. The basic need in the setup in someone who start wide to keep defense stretched but then if free to attack goal. Someone who isn't a goal scoring threat wouldn't fit it in the effective barcelona lineup.

khaled_a_d

I can't refuse to accept all what you say. But players who played at LW in Barcelona in recent years, Neymar, Villa, Henry,Ronalidnho : All lethal goal scorers. The basic need in the setup in someone who start wide to keep defense stretched but then if free to attack goal. Someone who isn't a goal scoring threat wouldn't fit it in the effective barcelona lineup.

Which is one of the reasons his success is doubtful at Barca,just like Arda he is a winger in 4-4-2 set up.
BTW 5 goals this season with a team like Villarreal isn't that bad. 4th top scorer in the league for them ,he can score when needed and more important he can help others to score very well

Last edited:

Butaan4barca

Which is one of the reasons his success is doubtful at Barca,just like Arda he is a winger in 4-4-2 set up.
BTW 5 goals this season with a team like Villarreal isn't that bad. 4th top scorer in the league for them ,he can score when needed and more important he can help others to score very well

which why i think it will be a good idea to adjust him into new role as we can't plan for his failure neither can we plan for a downgrade in any of the area through compromise. he can play a game here and there at LW but if he is planned for a key future role, it has to be as iniesta's long term replacement.

The guy can pass, dribble, run, create plays. I really think he can be a good Left mid player.

Having said that, he won't get better player than what iniesta was when he was played LW following ronaldinho's departure. Iniesta sure was success but in order to improve mid and as well as the forward line iniesta was moved back to Mid. I think he somewhat has similar traits to iniesta.

Messi983

Don't really see why all this debates about his position. Denis CAN play both CM and LW (possibly also RW) in our system and he'll play both of those positions over the next season or two to get him enough playing time as I'm sure Lucho likes him and will give him as many minutes as possible. But given that we have a 32 yo Iniesta as one of our starting CMs and 24 yo Neymar as a future at LW, I don't think it should really be a question what Denis's most likely longterm position will be. Yes, he plays as a winger in Villarreal's 4-4-2 but it's hard to compare two different systems and prognose what his role in Barça will be based on that. CMs in Villarreal (Bruno, Trigueros, Pina) actually have similar role to Busquets and Rakitic here. I don't think Denis could play either of this positions (well, he could but it's not perfect fit for him) but he can no doubt play in Iniesta's role. From the players we currently have he's the most likely candidate to be a longterm Iniesta's replacement. Of course Denis doesn't have Iniesta's experience or quality yet and it's very possible he'll never reach that level but that's understandable as Iniesta is arguably top 3/5 midfielders in football history (at least from those that I saw) and it will be almost impossible to ever fully replace him if we don't get really lucky.

But looking at Denis's movements, dribling and passing skills you can easily see similarities with Iniesta. Yes, he'll need some time to adapt but I think we should give him that. I'm always disappointed when I read comments like "he'll never be good enough to be a starter here". How can anyone say that before he plays a single minute for our first team? Iniesta was also around 25 when he became unquestionable starter. It's not like Iniesta will retire tomorrow. He still has one, two, possibly even three good years in his legs. In the meantime Denis should learn from don Andres in every training and game to become the best he can to eventually replace him. I'm sure Iniesta will gladly take him under his wings and Denis has work ethic and desire to succeed. Why should we pay 50M or more for Iniesta's replacement (which we also don't know how it will work out) if we may already have one? Just have patience and don't give up on Denis even if he'll struggle early with his adaptation to the team. 99% of newcomers here have early adaptation problems here and that's especially true for midfielders as playing in Barça midfield is a lot different than playing for any other team in the world. And also remember that most of the fans were also ready to give up on Roberto after some bad games at start of the last season, luckily Lucho wasn't. So I think Denis deserves our full support when he comes back and I believe in him to work hard and become the best player he can with help of Lucho, Iniesta and all other teammates around him.

Jombi

Iniesta was a super talent at age 18 though, and was our 12th man by the time he was 20. I think Denis could be a success for us, he is fast enough to play up front unlike Arda and Rafa, but we do him a disservice by using Iniesta comparisons.

RaidersGunz

Not good enough right now,and possibly ever.
Also it is better if he leaves on loan to develop

This kid has been a "youth starlet" for about 4 years now.

In 2013 he should have been loaned to a lower league side and played every game. Then when Summer 2016 comes round he'd have 3 solid years as a starter and he'd know what's what.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Denis Suarez is reportedly asking for higher salary than what we are offering and that is why an agreement has not been reached. He reportedly believes he is in a better negotiating position since a few other teams want him as well. More negotations to come either tomorrow or Friday.

If this is true, I don’t know man, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Home of Barca Fans