Cr150

Blackened

Will you guys think there will be future players who will upstage him in terms of being in the all-time great list? I dont see anyone taking Messis' or Maradonas' crowns as being two of the absolute greats in football history. CR on the other hand.... In 15 or 20 years time, will he still be amongst the top-5?

khaled_a_d

There is always someone new who beats the old legends, that is the way of life.
But it takes generations, Maradona was 20 years younger than Pele, Messi was born 27 years after Maradona
It will be another 10-15 years before someone come and people say, ok this guy is actually same level of talent as those and can beat them.

That said, Messi and CR7 wasn't just freaks, they also had the perfect storm of luck coming up. Messi came from Argentina to Spain (not allowed anymore) and grew in a great academy, reached first team in a time to have great coaches, mentors and generation of players.
CR7 has grown in great academy too, joined Manu at the age of 18 under one of the best coaches ever (Would think he is best ever in fundamentals, but was never a revolutionary one like Pep) and moved at perfect time to RM.
They also had each other to push themselves.
Never mind luck with injuries and durability, although sport science will help more and more players to achieve that, but there will be always those who will have their bodies fail them

Fati_Future_BallonDor

There is always someone new who beats the old legends, that is the way of life.
But it takes generations, Maradona was 20 years younger than Pele, Messi was born 27 years after Maradona
It will be another 10-15 years before someone come and people say, ok this guy is actually same level of talent as those and can beat them.

That said, Messi and CR7 wasn't just freaks, they also had the perfect storm of luck coming up. Messi came from Argentina to Spain (not allowed anymore) and grew in a great academy, reached first team in a time to have great coaches, mentors and generation of players.
CR7 has grown in great academy too, joined Manu at the age of 18 under one of the best coaches ever (Would think he is best ever in fundamentals, but was never a revolutionary one like Pep) and moved at perfect time to RM.
They also had each other to push themselves.
Never mind luck with injuries and durability, although sport science will help more and more players to achieve that, but there will be always those who will have their bodies fail them

That they never got a serious injury is amazing considering theyre playing over 15 years on top level. During the years 2008-2012 they played nearly every match.

Rassvet

Reports seem to be suggesting he will stay at United this summer regardless of whether they qualify for CL or not.

I guess his options aren't great but still would find it hard to see him staying without CL football. He and Mendes will probably push very hard for a PSG move.

Givenchy

Reports seem to be suggesting he will stay at United this summer regardless of whether they qualify for CL or not.

I guess his options aren't great but still would find it hard to see him staying without CL football. He and Mendes will probably push very hard for a PSG move.

I guess it will be made out as 'Ronaldo stays at United due to his undying love' PR bullshit but in reality, which CL team would even want Ronaldo? PSG might have the money but I doubt they replace Mbappe with another grandpa

Morten

I guess it will be made out as 'Ronaldo stays at United due to his undying love' PR bullshit but in reality, which CL team would even want Ronaldo? PSG might have the money but I doubt they replace Mbappe with another grandpa

Many, actually, just not on those kind of wages.

Rassvet

Many, actually, just not on those kind of wages.

Also, majority of those teams aren't serious CL contenders. I'm not sure CR would take a big paycut just to play CL football for a club like Sporting, Inter, or AC Milan who probably won't get too far in the competition anyway.

Home of Barca Fans