Copa del Rey 1/4 final: Athletic Club - Barca 4-2

Messi983

There are too much "everything can happen in one game" games already under xavi. Getting goals in first minutes is something that we mastered under xavi. I did a fast review through seasons and the truth is we conceded under xavi more goals in first 5 minutes then in last 10 years. Let that sink in.

We've also scored more game winning goals in last 15 minutes than I can remember since I follow this team. Go figure.

Proving my point that while we are not exactly playing well we did still have some good spells of moments during games. But at the same time inconsistent and bad concentration. That said I think this team has fighting spirit that we often lacked even when we had better teams on paper. And have to give some credit for that to Xavi. So don't buy BS that he has lost the team like I've seen some people mentioned.

We might be thrashed by better teams but I don't think you'll see any of current players have a "Jordi Alba at Anfield moments". Finally moving on from amigos and building a new team/culture is what I wanted to see for a long time. So while the work is still far from done and we have financial limitations which will prolong the whole process I'll stay patient and see where we'll go. I've survived yearly European embarassments during the amigos days so I can go through another year or two of struggling knowing we are on the right path.

You can see when the team is playing lazy and uninterested. Not the case with this team imo. If they go down it's not for lack of trying but more on poor execution (bad finishing, defensive mistakes). Ofc lot of that is on Xavi still being tactically very naive but I also see it as a relatively inexperienced team trying to find their own identity. Injuries don't help and neither do poor performances of certain veteran(s) who the youngsters should lean on rather than carrying them.

In other words I'd say we should learn to play smarter rather than harder. But that will come when most of these kids (and I'm not only talking about Yamal or Cubarsi here but also likes of Balde, Gavi, Pedri who despite having lot of experience for their ages we still forget how young they are) will grow up. This team has very good potential but we're just not there yet. Would clearly help us a lot if we could find 2-3 good signings to add to the core though.

I don't know if Xavi is the right coach to get the best out of them longterm (probably not) but as of now he's still our best option so I'll stand with him. Mid season coaching changes rarely work (never forget people wanted to see EV gone only to be replaced by that farmer Setien) and besides that I don't see many coaches from the outside will want to come to the club in current situation when their hands will be tied to build the team in their own image.

I would give a try to Thiago Motta if he wants to return home but I believe he'll find more attractive options elsewhere. What I don't want us to do is sack Xavi and replace him with another "rookie" manager like Rafa Marquez though.

Windhook

It's a knock down in boxing terms, but we're not out, yet. Napoli will end this agony.

It's getting ridiculous with each game. Yesterday we had 3 players aged 16-17 and they performed well IMO, but experience - zero. MATS, Frenkie, Gundo are the three players who'd been involved in big matches and players. Lewa looks totally isolated in this system, playing his own way that has nothing to do with Xavi.

Kul_z

It's a knock down in boxing terms, but we're not out, yet. Napoli will end this agony.

It's getting ridiculous with each game. Yesterday we had 3 players aged 16-17 and they performed well IMO, but experience - zero. MATS, Frenkie, Gundo are the three players who'd been involved in big matches and players. Lewa looks totally isolated in this system, playing his own way that has nothing to do with Xavi.
Then replace him. There is too much credibility for the name itself. You suck- you're on the bench. Same goes for kounde, if you want to play with youngsters, get him out and put araujo and christensen at cb.
Dont have enough players available to play a specific formation? Change the fucking formation and adapt to what you have at disposal. Xavi sets the gameplan in a way that no one from players benefits. If he didnt realized who are his best players and around who he should build the tactics to exploit maximum, then fucking go be a shepherd.

OVI9323

Season is not over. We are still competing for two most important titles. But we need to be realistic and understand that this team with Xavi does not have what it takes to go all the way in CL and LaLiga is a possibility only if Madrid starts fucking up and refs stop pushing them in 50-50 games.
Lol season is over... You really think this team can do any result against the like of Man City, Bayern?

Co0ter

Then we disagree. I just can't wrap my head around an idea that we don't play poor overall.
For me, it's been a horrible season so far in terms of displays.
That's because you're correct and not crazy. We have been playing by far the worst football since early 2000s. We were already playing horribly last season, but people ignored it since we were getting lucky on defense and Stegen had his best season ever. I've been saying this since halfway through last season, but the "you don't know ball" crowd kept spewing otherwise.

The same people defending Xavi and moving goalposts. Now apparently the cool thing to do is say "we weren't that bad, it was good experience for the youngsters" lmao

Xavi spent over 250mil you cucks and was given some very good free transfers on top of it. We are relying on youth because he fucked up using our transfer money and isn't getting the best out of our top players.

serghei

Lol season is over... You really think this team can do any result against the like of Man City, Bayern?

Probably not. Don't think anyone expects current Barca to beat this type of teams. Still, even playing against them in a quarterfinal is a great
experience for our very young players.

JamDav1982

Beat Napoli and take it from there.

It is at stage that success is not even winning it really just to beat who should and compete well if dont win with the rest.

Losing to Napoli off back of all the other European results is a huge failure again.

He is going to need to rotate to have any chance would think.

Driving some players into the ground with how much they are playing.

iniestaGOAT

That's because you're correct and not crazy. We have been playing by far the worst football since early 2000s. We were already playing horribly last season, but people ignored it since we were getting lucky on defense and Stegen had his best season ever. I've been saying this since halfway through last season, but the "you don't know ball" crowd kept spewing otherwise.

The same people defending Xavi and moving goalposts. Now apparently the cool thing to do is say "we weren't that bad, it was good experience for the youngsters" lmao

Xavi spent over 250mil you cucks and was given some very good free transfers on top of it. We are relying on youth because he fucked up using our transfer money and isn't getting the best out of our top players.

This is what happens when you smoke crack people

kilian

Read my post again.
The idea that the season is over or not is definitely not connected to Copa elimination, as it is the least important title. But if you think that the season is over because we can`t compete with Man City and Bayern - it was over before it even started. So the statement doesn`t make any sense.

OVI9323

Season is not over. We are still competing for two most important titles. But we need to be realistic and understand that this team with Xavi does not have what it takes to go all the way in CL and LaLiga is a possibility only if Madrid starts fucking up and refs stop pushing them in 50-50 games.
I read your post again and still think that the season is over... Copa was the only way to get a trophy, i'm not delusional enough to think that we will win Laliga and as you say here "this team with Xavi does not have what it takes to go all the way in CL". So I don't even know where you wanna start a debate? Season is over mate... it's ok to accept it...

Home of Barca Fans