CL Round 5: FC Barcelona - Bayern Munchen 0-3

BBZ8800

Pedri and Gavi always start for Spain. Rodri not so much.

Pedri and Gavi are top level players for sure.

Spain's coach is Lucho.
He has some weird pro-Barca/anti-Real agenda.

Every talented Barca's player play for Spain, way more than deserved.
And then, Spanish team is in an advantage over majority of other NT teams due to a majority of players playing in the same team so they have a better chemistry, so all Spanish NT players usually play well.
Now insert Pedri and Gavi in this story: they are young, they get chances sooner than they deserve, they play in a well oil NT machine, they get hyped and get awards based on their NT appearances, they play meh outside of Spanish NT.

Asylum15

Well that was exactly what was expected.

Lots of buzz in the Summer, excitement and unfortunately excess expectation.
We sold large amounts of club equity to get the players Xavi wanted and now the bubble has burst.

We can clearly no longer play this 2009-2012 style of slow, telegraphed possesion football with reliance on wide players to do something magic in a 1v1 against organised low blocks.
We don't have the magic nor the manager we used to but more importantly, the game has evolved. It is up to the club in it's best interests to evolve with it and the club has failed, dramatically.
I never thought I'd say it but a large portion of ''blame'' comes to Xavi. I can't trust a man that will continously watch a holding midfielder (Busquets) be useless in every key match he plays and yet still put his name first on the team sheet.
That is just one example of Xavi stubborness and tactic immaturity that's cost us our CL status. You can add Eric Garcia, Pique, Marcus Alonso and now after tonight, Hector Bellerin to that list.

We need to evolve and for the first time since Guardiola/Messi made us a superpower, we need to ditch Tiki Taka and recruit a coach who will take the club in a new direction.
We need someone with a personality profile who will not be 'friends' with everyone, will make tough decisions without hestitation and who will motivate players in a new way, psychologically.

For me, this should be Xavi's last season with the club at this point which hurts to say because I absolutely adored him as a player.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Who is a star-level of talent in the attacking line?

We only have midfield potentials.
Yet, Pedri, Gavi and co surely wouldn't be good enough for Real, Bayern or City.

Are you serious? Of course they are good enough for those teams, they will probably thrive there because they all have a more competent coach.

If the likes of Sabitzer, Gundogan, Gravenberch are good enough and thrive in those teams, Pedri and Gavi are definitely good enough.

Devils

Spain's coach is Lucho.
He has some weird pro-Barca/anti-Real agenda.

Every talented Barca's player play for Spain, way more than deserved.
And then, Spanish team is in an advantage over majority of other NT teams due to a majority of players playing in the same team so they have a better chemistry, so all Spanish NT players usually play well.
Now insert Pedri and Gavi in this story: they are young, they get chances sooner than they deserve, they play in a well oil NT machine, they get hyped and get awards based on their NT appearances, they play meh outside of Spanish NT.

Who are the wonderful Spanish players who play for Real Madrid these days?

fergus90

Are you serious? Of course they are good enough for those teams, they will probably thrive there because they all have a more competent coach.

If the likes of Sabitzer, Gundogan, Gravenberch are good enough and thrive in those teams, Pedri and Gavi are definitely good enough.

Gundogan to be fair was an elite midfielder in his prime, which got hampered by back issues. He'd have cut it at most teams.

Jadentheman

Who are the wonderful Spanish players who play for Real Madrid these days?

Madrid is an international team now. Their midfield are all non-Spanish. And it's winning them matches. Barca is more of a virtue signaling political club once it comes to nationality and players. You see how that works out for Bilbao and Chivas :lol:

enzo

Madrid is an international team now. Their midfield are all non-Spanish. And it's winning them matches. Barca is more of a virtue signaling political club once it comes to nationality and players. You see how that works out for Bilbao and Chivas :lol:

Quick answer to the quote. Real have troubles when some players are lacking, their bench is not as good as barca. Leipzig should have put more goals yesterday. Barca still have a chance to win the liga.
Bayern fans don't judge a team only by victory in Cl (despite Bayern being only second to real when all aspects are taken into accoud, not only finales) it is a mix of wins, manner, goals, titles in all cups. That's why uefa rates city first folowed by bayern. There is room for barca to save their season, simply focusing on playing evey match at 100%, even the most meaningless ones. At bayern, we do it (it is a respect for people buying tickets) and we probably lost some CL titles du to it when real were focusing on BO on twitter, cheating with public money or droping the liga race. That's a culture difference.
I'd like to add that barca were more courageous when fighting us, they did play their game. It is not a shame to loose a game, the shame is to loose your conviction. And barca deserves credit for that. Despite losing heavily to Bayern, barca never parked the bus, real did. That's something barca deserve respect for, from us. we don't talk much about humiliation, we don't consider it to be it. It is simply a math when you can loose or win. As long as it is a game, loosing is a part of it that should be accepted. I can forgive my team loosing, i can't forgive him denying himself. When we faced the future C1 winner liverpool, we had many injured players. At that times we had a coach that wanted to played it safe (Kovac). Players didn't listen to him. That's one of the best moments i respected bayern. Despite being in trouble, they didn't loose their fighting dna. And even if we beat totenham 7 2 the next game, we sacked Kovac and we brought flick. And flick knows bayern can't play safe. We share this with barca and we respect them for that. And that's cool, despite loosing.

hi all
i'm an old time bayern fan and i have sympathie for barca. I was a fan of the barca of romario and kooman in the 90s when i was a kid.

My overall view (even if i don't know as good as you the team) !

On the extra sporting side, i think bar?a fans deserved more than what Bartomeeu did to the club. And socios have maybe their share of responsibilities having let this man and i guess many around him, play with the club finance. First thing, bar?a should clean the house from inside. There many things that are still unclear. Why do you bring back laporta when you know all his history. Of course this man was going to perpetuate the same practices than with the old directions ? Why Picket and some old barca players signed hi salaries before bartomeu had his troubles ? Did they knew and said nothing.
And at last, why barca keeps on buying stars whereas it can hires in a more clever manner ? Simply because too many people eat from this. Laporta buys barca fans silence by bringing names. But how are the perspective for the coming years ?
I'd the same the same for bayern if same things happen.
Barca fans did support the superleague (at least from outside). It would have been better if barca fans come out and do the cleaning in the clubs direction. Instead, we only see make up

On the sporting side, it is difficult for us to fully understand Nagelsman but he is surrounded by an institution that understands football. Bayern's dna is simple : the team is the star. That's we never over promote ballon d'or. Of course, individualities are important.
For me, the bayern 2020 was a combination of all players and one the most important one was manual Neuer. However, we don't respect the hipe around BO, it is not good for a team. Despite having a great career in Bayern, Lewy was never considered as a part of bayern's heart like a philip lahm or robben can be. However, when surrounded by a good team, he his outstanding and probably one of the best 9 of the last two decades.

So Bayern's squad is himself under perpetual reconstruction. But what does never change, is the level required by the team from every player, for instance. For instance, we are "bayernizing" san?, but it took great time and i don't think we are there yet with him. He had to learn to defend. All bayern players are required to defend and attack. Whatever your name is, whatever the coach, you have to fulfil physical and tactical requirements from Bayern, that's a dna. Delight came from juventus and he couldn't adapt in the first matchs. Bayern considered he wasn't bayern ready with juventus protocol.

Barca have a great team but why did Xavi put Busquets when he knew he had to deal with goretzka and kimmich and surrounded by two quick and technical lateral players. Davies and mazraoui (surprise for me) were nightmares
Bayern did miss a lot by the way and we have to sort it out. But here is my second tought
You barca fans support too much dembele. We knew him from borussia. He is technical but this player can't reach regular top level. That's why bayern never tried to buy him. Dembele is overhyped. He is technical, spectacular, but for CL with big teams, that's not enough.

I wish good luck to barca fans. Please don't feel offended. It will be difficult to replace xavi but Tichel won't be free forever. If nageslmann fails, they could go for him. It may be hard for xavi as a legend, but there is a shot right now on tuchel. And decisions to be made.

enzo

Quick answer to the quote. Real have troubles when some players are lacking, their bench is not as good as barca. Leipzig should have put more goals yesterday. Barca still have a chance to win the liga.
Bayern fans don't judge a team only by victory in Cl (despite Bayern being only second to real when all aspects are taken into accoud, not only finales) it is a mix of wins, manner, goals, titles in all cups. That's why uefa rates city first folowed by bayern. There is room for barca to save their season, simply focusing on playing evey match at 100%, even the most meaningless ones. At bayern, we do it (it is a respect for people buying tickets) and we probably lost some CL titles du to it when real were focusing on BO on twitter, cheating with public money or droping the liga race. That's a culture difference.
I'd like to add that barca were more courageous when fighting us, they did play their game. It is not a shame to loose a game, the shame is to loose your conviction. And barca deserves credit for that. Despite losing heavily to Bayern, barca never parked the bus, real did. That's something barca deserve respect for, from us. we don't talk much about humiliation, we don't consider it to be it. It is simply a math when you can loose or win. As long as it is a game, loosing is a part of it that should be accepted. I can forgive my team loosing, i can't forgive him denying himself. When we faced the future C1 winner liverpool, we had many injured players. At that times we had a coach that wanted to played it safe (Kovac). Players didn't listen to him. That's one of the best moments i respected bayern. Despite being in trouble, they didn't loose their fighting dna. And even if we beat totenham 7 2 the next game, we sacked Kovac and we brought flick. And flick knows bayern can't play safe. We share this with barca and we respect them for that. And that's cool, despite loosing.

Would they have a secure spot? Because Sabitzer and Gravenberch right now are just rotation players - and Gravenberch is only some months older than Musiala. And as Kimmich is set - the other midfielder probably is more the box2box-type. Bayern does not play a 4-3-3.

The problem I see in your team is that despite having some very good talents you lack the appropriate leaders and somewhat a working strategy. What worked with Xavi and Iniesta 10 years ago might not be the philosophy for today as you do not have players of the same quality as then, a Messi that bailed you out when that philosophy did not work etc.

Sailor Mars

Really disappointing that the team performed much worse in this home leg than the away leg.

Even worse is the fact that Bayern seemed to be in total control and had little respect for Barca's attack. Waiting for Barca to turnover the ball and then hit a counter attack.

The games against Inter were the same. The El Clasico was the same.

Reminiscent of 2013/2014 Barca where Xavi would continue to give interviews about how Barca were playing well because they had possession and had control.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Would they have a secure spot? Because Sabitzer and Gravenberch right now are just rotation players - and Gravenberch is only some months older than Musiala. And as Kimmich is set - the other midfielder probably is more the box2box-type. Bayern does not play a 4-3-3.

The problem I see in your team is that despite having some very good talents you lack the appropriate leaders and somewhat a working strategy. What worked with Xavi and Iniesta 10 years ago might not be the philosophy for today as you do not have players of the same quality as then, a Messi that bailed you out when that philosophy did not work etc.

Yes, I don't think the players are the problem, Xavi is and to a greater degree, the club is. They should able to thrive with better management and most likely elsewhere.

Every time we lose an important game there are folks coming out dismissing almost every single player of ours. It is really tiring.

Home of Barca Fans