CL | 1/4 Final: FC Barcelona - FC Bayern Munich 2-8

Barcilliant

There was a fellow forum member that was predicting a double digit loss and I criticized his pessimism. I forgot who you were but let it be documented that I want to officially apologize to you.

There were some who actually thought we could win �� ��

I predicted a spanking 4 or 5-1" but I never predicted 8. Coutinho really put the boot in.

Richard.H

What's amazing about this match that's been different than previous big Barca losses is the confidence level of Bayern. Usually teams have a level of "respect" for barca to not dare to attack with too many men in case of a counter. That was not the case last night, after the own goal Bayern seemed completely unphased. After Suarez goal, it felt like nothing changed for Bayern. That to me is a clear mental "fuk you" to Barca, to show they are a better team. It felt like from minute one they knew their tactics would work, so much so that a Barca goal or two or three wouldn't make any difference for Bayern.

Yesterday's match is also a clear sign of changing times and how teams at the highest level don't respect us anymore. They know what we are capable/incapable of. It's clear their coach probably studied our matches very carefully and said at the end "alright, we are winning this. Nothing to worry about lads". What's very interesting to me is it seems like we (players + coaches) didn't study Bayern at all. There are a few videos on YT of how Bayern has perfected the press this season. It's common knowledge that under Flick Bayern have transformed their team to full pressing for 90 mins. Just pedestrian mistakes, that would take at most 30 mins -one hour to study for the coaches and players.

Any respectable European club would've seen the writing on the wall after Roma debacle, the latest. We have been in limbo, or rather, falling on an eternal staircase for the past three seasons. The sad thing is our seniors are so arrogant that I'm not even sure this scoreline has changed their minds. After Liverpool I felt like shit for a good week, but after this match I started to ask myself "if they scored two more, will the seniors surely leave now?"

Last edited:

serghei

What's amazing about this match that's been different than previous big Barca losses is the confidence level of Bayern. Usually teams have a level of "respect" for barca to not dare to attack with too many men in case of a counter. That was not the case last night, after the own goal Bayern seemed completely unphased. After Suarez goal, it felt like nothing changed for Bayern. That to me is a clear mental "fuk you" to Barca, to show they are a better team. It felt like from minute one they knew their tactics would work, so much so that a Barca goal or two or three wouldn't make any difference for Bayern.

Yesterday's match is also a clear sign of changing times and how teams at the highest level don't respect us anymore. They know what we are capable/incapable of. It's clear their coach probably studied our matches very carefully and said at the end "alright, we are winning this. Nothing to worry about lads". What's very interesting to me is it seems like we (players + coaches) didn't study Bayern at all. There are a few videos on YT of how Bayern has perfected the press this season. It's common knowledge that under Flick Bayern have transformed their team to full pressing for 90 mins. Just pedestrian mistakes, that would take at most 30 mins -one hour to study for the coaches and players.

Any respectable European club would've seen the writing on the wall after Roma debacle, the latest. We have been in limbo, or rather, falling on an eternal staircase for the past three seasons. The sad thing is our seniors are so arrogant that I'm not even sure this scoreline has changed their minds. After Liverpool I felt like shit for a good week, but after this match I started to ask myself "if they scored two more, will the seniors surely leave now?"

Everybody knows Barca are past it, with veterans that can't run anymore, except the idiots form our board.

Barcilliant

You are giving Flick alot of credit. In reality if you apply just a bit of pressure on this team they will collapse mentally, physically and tactically.

Flick knew that even if we beat the press our forwards have no pace and would struggle to reach the balls passed through. It was comical when Messi swung that shot in that hit the post. Three or four players were there and all of them were too slow physically and mentally to capitalise.
In over 30 years of supporting Barca I have seen some crappy sides but this is the worst by far. This is also the worst defeat I have experienced. We've been embarrassed before but never humiliated like this.

bayernfan

I wrote my first post before the match in order to tell you my thoughts from the perspective of a Bayern fan and some of you told me I should write another one after the game regardless the result. I didn?t want so seem like a troll or something right after such a result so I waited until now.

I believe that this defeat might be a huge chance for Barcelona. In 2009 Bayern was arguably in an even worse situation than you are right now. We lost to Pep?s Barca under Klinsmann and did not have any chance to go through. We had such a horrible defense - defenitely a lot worse than yours with Oddo, Demichelis, Breno and Lell - but after the match everyone in the club knew that a lot had to be changed. After that, even though it seemed extremely unrealistic before, we managed to play a champions league final against Inter in 2010 (which we lost), against Chelsea in 2012 (don?t wanna talk about that for obvious reasons) and against Dortmund in 2013. What does that say? Big clubs like Bayern, Barcelona and so on will question anything after such a humiliation. And you can be back more quickly than you might expect.
I believe like Piqu? said that everyone in the club will now be questioned and huge changes will be made. In 2009 we had players like Rib?ry who were the basis for a restart and you still have players like de Jong, Messi and ter Stegen to build something around them. With Setien and Bartomeu probably leaving (I can?t expect anything else) there will be a real restart for Barcelona. That?s the positive thing for you concerning the high defeat (probably better for you than losing 2-1 and nothing changes). That?s what I think concerning the future of your club but now a few words on the game (just skip this part if you don?t want to read this from a Bayern fan which I can totally understand).
I honestly believe that Bayern was not playing at their limit regarding our pressing after the last third. I was very impressed by Gnabry, Perisic, M?ller and Lewandowski who all were responsible for a lot of mistakes by ter Stegen and Roberto especially. Yet after having come behind this first pressing zone, Barca had some huge spaces in which a quicker player might have run. That?s also the reason why I didn?t understand why Setien brought on Griezmann instead of Fati at half time. Especially Davies was often standing just next to Alaba leaving a lot of space for Semedo. A real winger would have used that space better that?s for sure. In an after match interview with Flick he didn?t really say something negative because the team obviously did a lot of things really well but he surely wasn?t happy about that. Bayern did this a lot better in the recent months. I think that this also shows what Barca is lacking. They are simply lacking some pace upfront and physically strong players. That should probably be one of the goals for the summer.
In addition, I agree with some of you that Semedo played an extremely bad match. Yet I feel a bit sorry for him because I actually expected Roberto to help him defend Davies (I thought that was one of the reasons for the 442), but he then got no help in a one on one against Davies which you can only lose. So I would not want to be too harsh on him.
Concerning ter Stegen I would not critize that he made one or two mistakes in passing the ball to a Bayern player. That also happens to Neuer sometimes. What I don?t understand nevertheless is why he didn?t see that Bayern is pressing so high and therefore adapt to the match. After one or two passed right to Lewandowski I would expect a world class keeper to not repeat the same mistake over and over again. If you were wondering why Neuer is still Germany?s number one: Ter Stegen played quite a few similar games for Germany in the past and simply didn?t embody a serenity you must have in such big games. I still think that he is a great keeper but the mental aspect is something he needs to work on. I still feel a bit sorry for him because as a German player playing in another country than Germany you are not that much in focus. Now there is a chance to show everyone how good you are and then you play such a match. But since Neuer is 34 already, ter Stegen?s time is gonna come.
By the way: If I was Barca, I would try to keep Coutinho and Griezmann and play them in the role M?ller is playing for Bayern. I consider them to be very good as a 10/ offensive 8 but not as wingers. With de Jong and probably Puig or someone else in mitfield with them before, I ecpect Barca?s midfield and attack to be more of a unit.

However, thanks for reading this and all the best for the future!

Potroh

Everybody knows Barca are past it, with veterans that can't run anymore, except the idiots form our board.

Isn't Neuer, Muller or Lewandowski happen to be also veterans at Bayern?
Come on, what a single sided reasoning from most of the folks here...

Veterans can do things right and all that matters what they do, what they can still accomplish and how they are able to do that.
Two Brazilian teams won the world cup being the oldest team among the finalists, also the latest winning German team wasn't at all young and the examples can go on.
Age or "veteranity" is a disadvantage in itself if it is seriously combined with other drawback factors.
People easily veteranize still useful players, overlooking all the relevant and dominant factors.

If Suarez is not capable to run anymore or to handle the ball WHILE running, it's bad. Very bad.
But he can be useful in relatively static situations, mainly inside the box, when his instincts and shooting technique still work, that's why all those coaches still play him.

Thus everything depends on motivation, zealous work and before all: STRUCTURE, something that Barca is missing from 2016.

People are crying for Pep - once again - to return, without noticing that his slightly overthought style is not a revolutionary one anymore. Too many passes, too much stress upon possession, whereas all the upcoming good examples point towards speed, rapid execution, bravery, but before all: High Pressing capabilities, that also need a lot of stamina.

Did you notice that Bayern were usually pressing high with often 7 players?
What can the Barca-type defenders do in this situation? Doing the usual back-passes and kill time? Even the usually calm goalkeeper made horrible passes. Why? Because in Barca's dictionary only safe and dull passes exist, therefore nobody is brave enough (and instructed doing so) to make fast and long passes, even if keeping possession is not guaranteed.

If the opponent leads by 3:1, other good teams put everything on and try to attack, even if the risk-factor increases. What did Barca do? The very same thing they are trained to do: make it safe, have the ball, Messi will do something sooner or later.
Can you start a game like this with 4-4-2? A formation with an elderly and slow single forward? With another forward behind him who always brings 3-4 defenders when he touches the ball?
Even if this madness was done by Setien, the notion is the one by Valverde, who calmly and silently screwed up this entire team.

Does it really work in international football to stick to coaches who have a sort of history with the club? Does it really work?

Is the board idiotic? Obviously so.

Belgian

Thus everything depends on motivation, zealous work and before all: STRUCTURE, something that Barca is missing from 2016..
philosophy, an idea, scouting department, ... the board is buying to make themselves popular

4 of the most expensive transfers in the history of barca:
Griezman, Dembele, De Jong, Coutinho.
3 of them started on the bench and one of them scored against barca. a 442 with roberto on the right? I like the guy but what the hell?

squad? first of all you need a new board to select a coach with some idea of what he wants. An idea that fits into the barca philosophy

FinBarcelonafan

Can we hide this thread already? Probably everything said already what needs to be said. Can we also remove this from the history books it will be part of? Hope so

Horatio

You're welcome
Ain?t gonna lie, already feels more like a 2-5 loss than a 2-8. Expected to get trolled much more, but my circles have been kind.

KingLeo10

Ain?t gonna lie, already feels more like a 2-5 loss than a 2-8. Expected to get trolled much more, but my circles have been kind.

It was a 2-5 loss if we hadn't given up like asshats last 10 mins.

That was the most damning part. 2-5 is hard to stomach too but not historical.

Bayern are also cunts who run up the score when they sense unpreparedness. We could have done the same in the 09 4-0 by HT but Pep called off the attack.

Home of Barca Fans