Champions League

shadows

So Spurs make it eh.. Ajax also did screw it up it turns out..Atleast they scored unlike us who didn't turn up whatsoever...

Now its Liverpool's final to lose... Surely they can't screw this up with all the considerable UCL experience and the easily better players they have.

Mitchell1978

U sir not have watched the premier league. Wolves everton crystal palace watford are incredible teams. Klopp even said that some of the players would Start for any Team in Germany

Fullham just go relegated spending 100 Million Pounds

I watch the PL all the time, apart from the top 6 the PL is not stronger then La Liga, having more money and playing at a higher tempo doesnt mean teams are stronger.

shockey80

I watch the PL all the time, apart from the top 6 the PL is not stronger then La Liga, having more money and playing at a higher tempo doesnt mean teams are stronger.

Its just a different style. I think the physical nature of the league prepares the top teams to be stronger towards the end of games.
One thing PL teams always seem to have is an advantage of athleticism.

BBZ8800

People will whine and insult, but let's check which factors brought victories for Liverpool and Tottenham in semis:

1. Who were more technical teams?
= Barca and Ajax>Liverpool and Tottenham

2. Which teams had more pace and faster players?
= Liverpool>Barca
= tied in Tottenham/Ajax

3. Which teams had more Stamina in the last 20-30 minutes of the 2nd leg?
= Liverpool and Tottenham

4. Which teams covered more distance?
= Ajax 233 kms over 2 legs
= Tottenham 229 kms
= Liverpool 223 kms
= Barcelona 215 kms
Barca, as expected always runs less than other, modern football teams [MENTION=20741]Total-Football[/MENTION]
We will solve "everything" with our technique :lol:

5. Which teams had more desire, bravery, fighting spirit and motivation in the final 20 minutes of the 2nd leg when the ties are won?

6. Which teams had more passes over two legs?
1167 Barcelona
1061 Liverpool
1042 Tottenham
858 Ajax

7. Who had the highest passing accuracy over 2 legs?
83% Barcelona
79% Liverpool
79% Tottenham
79% Ajax

8. How many shooting attempts teams had over 2 legs?
36 Tottenham
27 Liverpool
26 Ajax
19 Barcelona

9. How many passes on average a team makes before taking a shot?
61 passes before a shot, Barcelona
39 passes Liverpool
33 passes Ajax
29 passes Tottenham
= as expected, Barca dwells on a ball, passing left and right without being too direct.
We had the highest amount of passes out of all semifinalists, yet we had the lowest amount of shots on target.
Because our team is happy in passing the ball between Busi, Raki (Arthur), Pique, Alba, Roberto forth and back all the time.
While other teams are looking to get to the opponent's goal as fast as possible and to actually do something dangerous with their possession.

Before [MENTION=13291]Cule4life[/MENTION] will reply to me that EV caused all these problems, Barca had EXACTLY the same problems since 2014 against Atletico, Atletico, Psg, Juventus.

So, for the end, I will dare to say that our football (not only EV's but our football in the last 7-8 years) is outdated, we haven't evolved too much.
1. we play the slowest possession football out of top teams (even City and Ajax play a few levels faster than us btw)
2. we are not direct and we keep sterile possession for a sake of possession
3. all top teams are covering more distance than us
4. all top teams have faster players than us
5. all top teams have more Stamina than us in the 2nd half
6. all top teams have younger players than us
7. all top teams are more motivated than us, have more fighting spirit
8. all top teams are both faster, taller and more muscled on average than our team, but people will roll eyes on that, because, as always: Xavi and Iniesta were weak and we won.

Basically, the only thing in which Barca is better than other top teams:
1. we have Messi to mask 10s of our deficiencies
2. we have the highest amount of total passes (a sterile one, lol)
3. we probably have the most technical players, but since we lack in all other areas like pace, stamina, a fighting spirit, there is a reason why we have won only 1 CL in the last 8 years even though we had Messi in a team.

For the end, imagine if we won't evolve towards more modern trends in a CL, and if in post-Messi era we will have a team who is good only in technique but below average in all other areas.
In Europe we'll probably reach Man Utd's, Arsenal's and AC Milan's level if we won't start to evolve in some areas.

Btw, this is not only on a coach. Barto, sporting directors and our scouts are constantly picking players who are good only at technique but who can barely run.
Coutinho 160M, can't run for more than 55 minutes.
Arthur, dead tired after 60 minutes.
Arda, dead tired after 10 minutes.

:bartomeu:

Also, for guys who still wonder how Real managed to win 4 CLs in 5 years:
1. they play more direct in a CL than us
2. they covered more distance than us in a CL
3. their players were faster than ours
4. their players had more stamina
5. they were more motivated and had a better fighting spirit and a few leaders (Cr7, Ramos)
6. they were able to score clutch goals in the last 20 minutes. We, on the other hand, are able to only concede clutch goals in the last 20 minutes of the 2nd leg.
7. I won't even mention that they had more height in attack, and they could have scored goals in key moments with feet and headers.
We, on the other hand, couldn't create a shot in the last 15 minutes against Liverpool, we were just passing the ball around the box, looking for Messi.
We can't play direct because no one is fast.
We can't cross, since all players in the box are short.
All we can do is: slow down the play, let the opponents park the bus, and then pass the ball around the box in a sterile way and wait for Messi to try a shot.

Tottenham played:
1. possession
2. counters
3. and headers on Lorent
They have weapons to attack in 3 different ways.
If one way doesn't work (possession), you can try two other styles.
What can we do? =pass to Messi.
If it doesn't work?
= well, pass to Messi again :/
Liverpool, the same:
1. they can play possession
2. they can play counters
3. they can hurl crosses in the box and score

For the 2nd time, before Cule4Life makes a reply about Ernie, we won 1 CLs in 8 years with this stupid style of play.
Again, I am not defending EV anymore, he needs to go.
I am just saying that Barto and directors are doing a shit job in planning a future.
They are stuck in football which worked in 2003 or 2009.
They act as if they never watch modern CL matches.

I won't even comment on people who think that we will have a chance in a CL in 2024 against even more athletic teams than today with Arthur-Puig midfield duo.

Last edited:

Sterlingfan2000

People will whine and insult, but let's check which factors brought victories for Liverpool and Tottenham in semis:

1. Who were more technical teams?
= Barca and Ajax>Liverpool and Tottenham

2. Which teams had more pace and faster players?
= Liverpool>Barca
= tied in Tottenham/Ajax

3. Which teams had more Stamina in the last 20-30 minutes of the 2nd leg?

4. Which teams covered more distance?
= Ajax 233 kms over 2 legs
= Tottenham 229 kms
= Liverpool 223 kms
= Barcelona 215 kms
Barca, as expected always runs less than other, modern football teams [MENTION=20741]Total-Football[/MENTION]
We will solve "everything" with our technique :lol:

5. Which teams had more desire, bravery, fighting spirit and motivation in the final 20 minutes of the 2nd leg when the ties are won?

6. Which teams had more passes over two legs?
1167 Barcelona
1061 Liverpool
1042 Tottenham
858 Ajax

7. Who had the highest passing accuracy over 2 legs?
83% Barcelona
79% Liverpool
79% Tottenham
79% Ajax

8. How many shooting attempts teams had over 2 legs?
36 Tottenham
27 Liverpool
26 Ajax
19 Barcelona

9. How many passes on average a team makes before taking a shot?
61 passes before a shot, Barcelona
39 passes Liverpool
33 passes Ajax
29 passes Tottenham
= as expected, Barca dwells on a ball, passing left and right without being too direct.
We had the highest amount of passes out of all semifinalists, yet we had the lowest amount of shots on target.
Because our team is happy in passing the ball between Busi, Raki (Arthur), Pique, Alba, Roberto forth and back all the time.
While other teams are looking to get to the opponent's goal as fast as possible and to actually do something dangerous with their possession.

Before [MENTION=13291]Cule4life[/MENTION] will reply to me that EV caused all these problems, Barca has EXACTLY the same problems since 2014 against Atletico, Atletico, Psg, Juventus.

So, for the end, I will dare to say that our football (not only EV's but our football in the last 7-8 years) is outdated, we haven't evolved too much.
1. we play the slowest possession football out of top teams (even City plays ways faster than us btw)
8. all top teams are both faster, taller and more muscled on average than our team, but people will roll eyes on that, because, as always: Xavi and Iniesta were weak and we won.

Basically, the only thing in which Barca is better than other top teams:
1. we have Messi to mask 10s of our deficiencies
2. we have the highest amount of total passes (a sterile one, lol)
3. we probably have the most technical players, but since we lack in all other areas like pace, stamina, a fighting spirit, there is a reason why we have won only 1 CL in the last 8 years even though we had Messi in a team.

For the end, imagine if we won't evolve towards more modern trends in a CL, and if in post-Messi era we will have a team who is good only in technique but below average in all other areas.
In Europe we'll probably reach Man Utd's, Arsenal's and AC Milan's level if we won't start to evolve in some areas.

Btw, this is not only on a coach. Barto, sporting directors and our scouts are constantly picking players who are good only at technique but who can barely run.
Coutinho 160M, can't run for more than 55 minutes.
Arthur, dead tired after 60 minutes.
Arda, dead tired after 10 minutes.

:bartomeu:

Also, for guys who still wonder how Real managed to win 4 CLs in 5 years:
1. they play more direct in a CL than us
2. they covered more distance than us in a CL
3. their players were faster than ours
4. their players had more stamina
5. they were more motivated and had a better fighting spirit and a few leaders (Cr7, Ramos)
6. they are able to score clutch goals in the last 20 minutes. We, on the other hand, are able to only concede clutch goals in the last 20 minutes of the 2nd leg.
7. I won't even mention that they had more height in attack, and they could have scored goals in key moments with feet and headers.
We, on the other hand, couldn't create a shot in the last 15 minutes against Liverpool, we were just passing the ball around the box, looking for Messi.
We can't play direct because no one is fast.
We can't cross, since all players in the box are short.
All we can do is: slow down the play, let the opponents park the bus, and then pass the ball around the box in a sterile way and wait for Messi to try a shot.

For the 2nd time, before Cule4Life makes a reply about Ernie, we won 1 CLs in 8 years with this stupid style of play.
Again, I am not defending EV anymore, he needs to go.
I am just saying that Barto and directors are doing a shot job in planning a future.
They are stuck in football which worked in 2003 or 2009.
They act as if they never watch modern CL matches.

Wow. We already know the running is a problem, Messi can afford to run but not Suarez.

And tottenham is faster then Ajax. SON moura sissiko are rapid

Last edited:

henias

Yeah one thing is the physical nature, the other is the competitive edge the league has. Every team is trying to outdo each other, learn from their errors and mistakes, which actually serves a sort of learning curve for them and to be prepared for various tough situations. But of course, football is a team effort, PL has recently also gone for more elite coaches able to motivate their teams altogether, players show more desire and hunger. Money isnt everything, you can have all the talents in the world but if you have no clue how to bind them as a team, then you'll always fail.

I agree La Liga has more technical ability but the lack of competition like I said is worrying. It's a stroll in the park and we always assume our team is the best in the world, and despite having world class players, we are not naturally cohesive. Our mentality is also extremely slack, no motivation from anyone, even the manager.

The notion that some players like Messi or Suarez or even Rakitic are "untouchables" is absolutely absurd, either you play as a team or get the fck out, worse of all the manager is segregating the senior players from the young, allowing them to be complacent time and time again. We can always laugh at Liverpool or Tottenham even but even these players grind hard, physically and mentally. I've always looked at this Barcelona team and I just feel they are just not up there, they look extremely out of sorts and miserable. There's no spark like during Pep days.

ronniecro

we're being ridiculed worse than psg,i read some banter how de jong and de ligt already have barca mentality since they lost 3 goal lead yesterday

Andrew M

we're being ridiculed worse than psg,i read some banter how de jong and de ligt already have barca mentality since they lost 3 goal lead yesterday

Every big club has to go through a period of being a laughing stock. Liverpool have had plenty themselves

BBZ8800

Yeah one thing is the physical nature, the other is the competitive edge the league has. Every team is trying to outdo each other, learn from their errors and mistakes, which actually serves a sort of learning curve for them and to be prepared for various tough situations. But of course, football is a team effort, PL has recently also gone for more elite coaches able to motivate their teams altogether, players show more desire and hunger. Money isnt everything, you can have all the talents in the world but if you have no clue how to bind them as a team, then you'll always fail.

True.
Also, remember how we are mocking at Psg and Farmer's league.
Psg is trashing everyone with 8:0 and then they come to a CL and they are not used to playing against good teams.

La liga is not as bad as Ligue 1, but the point is the same.
When we play Getafe, Levante, Girona, Rayo and similar=those teams can't stop Messi.
Against them, even old Suarez is a deadly striker.
Against them, Busi is a GOAT of a pivot.
Even Raki is good.
Alba looks like the best and the smartest LB in the world. Yet, in a CL, he looks like a headless chicken against opponents who are as fast as him and yet smarter than him.

So:
1. on one hand, opponents in La liga are way weaker than EPL teams
2. further, a nature of La liga opponents is that majority of teams in La Liga play Latin-type of football like Portugal, Spain and Brasil.
Majority of players of Girona, Rayo and similar are technical Spanish and South American players who rely mostly on possession, passes, dribbles and similar.
Those opponents will NOT:
1. outrun us like Liverpool, Roma, Juventus, any CL team
2. those teams don't have tall and strong defenders. Messi and Suarez will handle them for fun. In a CL though, our attackers can't create a single chance against the defenders of Juve, Roma, Liverpool.
3. La Liga teams don't have tall Cfs. Juventus scored a header after corner for 3:0 against us. Roma scored a header after a corner against us for 3:0. Liverpool scored 1 header and had a few of other dangerous crosses and corners.
So, both Roma and Liverpool played a crossing game against us in the 2nd leg.
On the other hand, when was ANYONE playing a crossing game against us in La Liga?
Never, because all teams in La liga play Latin-technical-possession based football.
So, we never have to defend against that type of actions in La liga, and our team is built (shorter technical players) for a style which works in La Liga against other shorter and technical teams.
And then we come to a CL, and Pique, Alba, Roberto and guys look as if they never practiced headers on training grounds.
Just remember a goal vs Lyon, we had 3 bad headers in a space of 5 seconds, our players just can't get an aerial duel against anyone:

People will reply as alway: but but but Xavi and Iniesta were short.
Fine, that was 10 years ago.
Spain is losing all the time lately on World cups against equally technical, and yet faster and stronger teams with more stamina.
In 2009, EPL wasn't that strong as today. There were no teams like Liverpool. Who was pressing us that hard back then? A football world evolved and improved since then. Yet, we stayed on the same place, or we actually regressed a lot.

I agree La Liga has more technical ability but the lack of competition like I said is worrying. It's a stroll in the park and we always assume our team is the best in the world, and despite having world class players, we are not naturally cohesive. Our mentality is also extremely slack, no motivation from anyone, even the manager.

The notion that some players like Messi or Suarez or even Rakitic are "untouchables" is absolutely absurd, either you play as a team or get the fck out, worse of all the manager is segregating the senior players from the young, allowing them to be complacent time and time again. We can always laugh at Liverpool or Tottenham even but even these players grind hard, physically and mentally. I've always looked at this Barcelona team and I just feel they are just not up there, they look extremely out of sorts and miserable. There's no spark like during Pep days.[/QUOTE]

Anyway, regarding La Liga and EPL:
1. EPL teams play big matches every week, unlike us
2. EPL teams play against teams with high intensity every week, unlike us
3. There are 7-8 strong clubs at the top and teams have to play with 120% all the time, and they are fighting until the end in every match.
Do we have to play with 120% against Rayo and Levante? Lol.

And then our players become complacent.
We play against weak opponents, intensity is lower, we are technically superior against La Liga teams (and we have Messi) and we can win against anyone with barely running.
And also add that factor of "sudden death knockout matches".
When Busi or Pique play against Levante.
And if we'll lose 0:2, so what?
Nothing will happen.
We won't lose a title due to that, no biggie.
They know that RM and Atletico are worse than us, they will lose more points than us, so we don't have any pressure in any of 38 rounds.
If we win=fine.
If we lose=fine, we will still be champions.
There is never urgency in La Liga matches. And we almost never play high stakes: do or die matches in La liga.

And then, we come to a CL 2nd leg and we lose against everyone.
I have checked one stat yesterday, since 2011 (Shakhtar), Barca played only 5 times ties when we played a 2nd leg away.
We lost in 4 attempts out of 4 when we played the 2nd leg away, lol.
We can't survive a pressure of 2nd legs away.
Here are those ties:
2014: Atletico 1:1, 0:1 away
2015: Bayern 3:0, 2:3 away
2016: Atletico 2:1 (red card for Atletico), 0:2 away
2018: Roma 4:1, 0:3 away
2019: Liverpool 3:0, 0:4 away

Also, I have said a few times, people think that it is a fluke when we lose to Atletico in a CL. Lol.
No, it is not.
Again, in La Liga we are not pressured. Our players love that comfort zone.
When we play Atletico in La Liga, we know that we will be Champions regardless if we lose or win. And a bigger pressure is on them because they can't afford to lose.
In a CL though, we are favorites against Atletico, and all pressure is on us because we don't have 38 matches to fix our mistakes.
We have to win over 180 minutes, and we are not use to pressure of that kind.
Then add a factor of our team filled with choir boys who are too nice guys, who are awesome in technique but don't have a fighting street-spirit, and there you go: we lost all 5 matches when the 2nd leg was away from home.
Also, we managed to get KO'd in Champions league in 2016, 2017 and 2018 in the 2nd away leg, even though we had a positive result in all 3 ties from a first leg (Atletico 2:1, Roma 4:1, Liverpool 3:0).

I don't want to kill people's dreams, but when I read posts: we will play with Arthur-Puig, and Dembele in attack, we will get back to glory days.
Lol. Arthur is slow and tired after 55 minutes.
Puig is physically the weakest midfielder in Europe.
Dembele don't defend too much.
We are still stuck in early 00s and in 2009, when football was played that way.
I mean, imagine Liverpool:Barca at Anfield, Loverpool attacking around our box and our CMs trying to stop them are Arthur and Puig.
Or imagine minute 60. Arthur is dead tired and Puig is dead tired.
Or imagine 10s of Liverpool's crosses into our box.
And we have 2 players taller than 180cm fighting against their guys where half of a team is 185cm or 190cm.

I mean, fine ok, we surely need players liek Arthur who will bring possession.
But we'll also need someone to run for 90 minutes, defend, win headers.
As said before, in our last 4 CL's exits, we conceded at least one goal from headers after crosses or headers after corners.
2016: Atletico 2:0, 1st goal Griezmann, a header after a cross. No one was marking him, lol.
2017: Juventus 3:0, 3rd goal Chiellini, our poor defending after a corner, scored with a header.
2018: Roma 3:0, 3rd goal Manolas outjumping poor Semedo who was 12 cms taller than him (189 vs 177)
2019: Liverpool: 4:0, 3rd goal Wijnaldujm a header after a cross.

So, basically, when a 2nd leg away starts, in the last 4 season, you can be sure of one thing:
= ALL opponents will play a crossing game against Barca, since we have the shortest team in Europe and even our tall guys like Busi and Pique and a crap in heading.
And we'll concede at least 1 goal in a 2nd match from headers every single time.

Because our players are not used to that.
Girona and Rayo won't play a crossing game against us.

Ketoth

That's not true. Teams like Wolves and Leicester have taken many points off the top 6 this season.

BADGERBHOY

Agreed.

Klopp said Everton (8th place) would get Champions League football in any other league. They have the likes of Richarlison, Gomes (loan), Bernard, Digne, Gueye, Siggurdson. Good team. Wolves have Moutinho, Neves, Patricio, Jimenez, Jota.. Leicester have Vardy, Maddison, Pereira, Tielemans, Ndidi..

These 3-4 teams (and Watford) are all around FC Porto, Benfica, Lyon, Roma, Leipzig, Frankfurt, Getafe, Valencia level. I.e. Same level as top teams from lesser European leagues and same level as the 4th best teams from Italy, Spain, Germany.

I think Wolves or Everton would finish 4th in Spain, 4th in Germany and 4th in Italy.

Using Gomes, on this forum,as an example of a player, maybe shows that you might be overrating these players.

Cule4life

The Culest
1. we play the slowest possession football out of top teams (even City and Ajax play a few levels faster than us btw)

If we are losing because La liga is shit with no competition how did Madrid do the 3peat? Answer :Zidane

if EPL is so awesome why haven't they won a CL properly since 2008 (Chelsea doesn't count)? Answer: EPL didn't have Klopp/Pochetino before

Why were you defending Valgreen when he was playing the exact same slow possession football which you absolutely hate? Answer: He parked the bus with your beloved workhorses and prayed for a Messi miracle. Proper possession football means being able to resist pressure which we have never done under Valverde.

We don't cover enough distance and don't have stamina. Whose responsibility is it to rectify that by drilling players and benching the lazy/old players who can't/won't do it? Answer: Valverde

Our team is old and slow. Who keeps playing the turtle grandpas Busi/Raki every game? And why did we end up with such an old squad. Answer: Valverde and Bartomeu

Why don't we have motivation and fighting spirit while Liverpool has it in abundance? Answer: Liverpool has Klopp and we've Valverde

Liverpool is taller and more muscled--Valverde played your favorite workhorse midfield which you said "never concedes goals". What did they do against Liverpool? Answer: BBZ conveniently distancing himself from his beloved workhorses. Muscles and height are not the be-all end all. We lost because we couldn't handle Liverpool's press and we played like cowards not because they outmuscled or outjumped us.

So what did we learn? That the reason Barca is lagging behind other teams is because they have a manager with an infectious mid-table team mentality and a clueless board who are more interested in politics than football.

Keep shifting the goalposts and twisting the narrative to suit your agenda. You've been caught with your pants down defending Valmierda, so now you're distancing yourself from him changing your agenda to "mentality". Still you keep giving yourself away by "but but the team has always been shit". If you actually think you're fooling anyone i pity you :lol:

Serious question. If Valverde stays would you be okay with it? Honest answer and explain the reason behind your answer

Last edited:

Centauri B

Agreed.

Klopp said Everton (8th place) would get Champions League football in any other league. They have the likes of Richarlison, Gomes (loan), Bernard, Digne, Gueye, Siggurdson. Good team. Wolves have Moutinho, Neves, Patricio, Jimenez, Jota.. Leicester have Vardy, Maddison, Pereira, Tielemans, Ndidi..

These 3-4 teams (and Watford) are all around FC Porto, Benfica, Lyon, Roma, Leipzig, Frankfurt, Getafe, Valencia level. I.e. Same level as top teams from lesser European leagues and same level as the 4th best teams from Italy, Spain, Germany.

I think Wolves or Everton would finish 4th in Spain, 4th in Germany and 4th in Italy.

Just because Klopp says something (that is very much in his interest to say) doesn't make it true. I knew that it would take only one good season from EPL teams for people like you to drown us in your crazy hype. Hell, you were bombastic even when EPL sides could not make it out of the GS and La Liga was winning everything. smh.

U sir not have watched the premier league. Wolves everton crystal palace watford are incredible teams. Klopp even said that some of the players would Start for any Team in Germany

Fullham just go relegated spending 100 Million Pounds

The teams you describe as incredible, are nothing of the sort, hence their position on the table. If the EPL was as awesome as you make it out to be, Man City would not be able to earn 101 points last season (more than Real Madrid or Barca have ever won in La Liga) and this season, both Liverpool & City will end up with something very close to 100 points. These are the facts.

Spurs actually have a lower wage bill than Juve, Atletico, Dortmund etc. and they didn't sign anyone in the summer either.

Wage bill is only part of the equation, the other being the buying and selling of players.

If Spurs keep underspending, a serious decline in results will become inevitable.

Of the six wealthiest teams in the world in terms of revenue only one (us) made it to the semis. Money is only one factor if invested correctly

In the long-run results reflect money spent. Ridiculous to claim otherwise.

Edit: Of the 4 semi-finalists, Barca (number 2 on the money list) Liverpool (number 7, slightly behind PSG & City) Spurs (number 10, above Dortmund, Atleti or Juventus) Only Ajax doesn't fit the bill, and that's why there was so much talk of a fairy-tale run in their case.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans