Champions League

dostoevskij

AS’s resident referee Iturralde González commented: ”It hits his hand first then his hip and the UEFA instructions are clear: you can't score if it hits your hand, even if it’s involuntary. It doesn't matter if the elbow is tight to the body. If it happens to a defender it's not a penalty, but if it's an attacker it has to be disallowed. Rossetti has told the UEFA referees.”

He added: "Irrati (the VAR) - the number one VAR official - advises Çakir because he's seen a hand. When Çakir comes back from seeing the images he tells the players 'I didn't see anything. It hit his thigh.' They didn't play him the view from behind where you can see it hits the elbow. The error from the VAR is not showing the two key images. Why? The question is getting it right, not how long it takes."

AS’s resident ref's conclusion: "Manchester City are out because the VAR wasn't used properly".

Iturralde is mistaken, this rule ( no goals scored whatsoever with hand, even if its not punishable by the law) only starts next season.
so still the question is not if it touched the arm, but if its punishable by the current law. i would say no!

Vilarrubi

Liverpool haven’t conceded more than 3 in any game this season... we need to ATTACK and end this tie and Camp Nou like vs Bayern 2015!!

AzaR

Liverpool haven’t conceded more than 3 in any game this season... we need to ATTACK and end this tie and Camp Nou like vs Bayern 2015!!

The game at the Nou Camp in 2015 was massively influenced by 20 minutes of brilliance from the little genius and Bayern leaving themselves open, playing a high line.

We need to do what Barca at it's best does best, utilise the full dimensions of the Nou Camp. I'd really like to see Dembele start on the right, Alba down the left gives us that width on that side, knowing Messi will be drifting to a central position and playing at times in a deeper position, i think we need more impact on the right than Seri Roberto or Semedo will offer.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

I honestly think in this sort of tie being at home first favours us... we’ve been pretty average away from home in the CL and the worst thing that could happen is going to Anfield first and losing the tie there before we even play at Camp Nou.

Messi983

I prefer 1-0 or 2-0 over 3-1 or 3-2.

Not conceding is the most important IMO. I think we can score at Anfield.

Vilarrubi

We need to attack with a caution.
Rijkaard's and EV's style.

Not Pep's style of attacking.

I agree we don't want an end to end game with counter attacks. I feel Bayern 2015 was pretty conservative in terms of attacking, I was meaning more that i'd love to put 3 past them and pretty much end the tie, we have the ability to do that at Camp Nou and Anfield will be tough.

I prefer 1-0 or 2-0 over 3-1 or 3-2.

Not conceding is the most important IMO. I think we can score at Anfield.

Of course I don't mean go all out at the cost of conceding, which isn't Valverde's style anyway. But ending the tie at Camp Nou would be great.. I honestly feel we have the ability to win 3-0.

Andresito

Staff member
Playing on wednesday suits us.

First game both teams will be fresh if Valverde fully rotates, Liverpool play Huddersfield on friday.

After first leg Liverpool play away vs Newcastle on sunday (but will most definitely be moved to saturday).
We play Celta away, but we should rotate there.

This equals 3 important games for Liverpool in 6 days. Whereas we can rest our players.

Vilarrubi

Playing on wednesday suits us.

First game both teams will be fresh if Valverde fully rotates, Liverpool play Huddersfield on friday.

After first leg Liverpool play away vs Newcastle on sunday (but will most definitely be moved to saturday).
We play Celta away, but we should rotate there.

This equals 3 important games for Liverpool in 6 days. Whereas we can rest our players.

I doubt the Liverpool game will be moved mate, they are more strict with fixture times and dates in the PL. Better for us!

AzaR

[tw]1118680795185668096[/tw]

Feel bad for him!

As we know from experience with Barca, being the better team in fixtures in this tournament doesn't always materialise in results or success.

Llorente goal should have been disallowed, arm clearly affected the flight off the ball, arms against the body applies in defensive decisions and penalties. Been saying this since the world cup, why is the referee only given one camera angle to analyse, not good enough if VAR is to be fully utilised. Offside decisions it's been positively implemented, other decisions, especially those that are subjective, not so much! Then again, mistakes like those made by Laporte are relentlessly punished in this tournament. Not much Pep can do about this when Laporte has been solid for much of the season. As you said, feel bad for him, but should only slightly diminish what he's achieved so far.

Let's hope that if VAR is influential in our semi final that it favours us! Also believe our chances are significantly greater in a potential tie against Spurs in the final if we advance and despite Ajax looking brilliant, i feel we will be too much for them, they wont see as much of the ball as they did against Madrid and Juve. I believe whoever wins out of ourselves and Liverpool will win the tournament.

Leo lifting the trophy as captain will be special, let's hope it comes to fruition ;)

Devils

[tw]1118680795185668096[/tw]

Feel bad for him!

Can't feel bad for him at all tbh.

The alternative would be Spurs getting eliminated by an offside goal.

VAR ain't perfect, but this situation shows just how brilliant it can be.

jairzinho

Guess we’ll be seeing our friend AnfieldEd pretty soon. Guy hasn’t been on here since the Coutinho transfer. 😂😂😂

Home of Barca Fans