Champions League

Catta

I am confused about the new CL format UEFA just approved starting 2024. 36 teams in a big league (instead of group stages)? Each teams get to play 8 games against 8 different teams, 4 home and 4 away but against which teams? How to determine what teams each team gets to play against?

The new format looks shit. The Super League sounds better than the new CL.

El Gato

Villarato!
I am confused about the new CL format UEFA just approved starting 2024. 36 teams in a big league (instead of group stages)? Each teams get to play 8 games against 8 different teams, 4 home and 4 away but against which teams? How to determine what teams each team gets to play against?

What's confusing about it?

36 teams in a league
Probably a draw of who plays who, just like R16
And then another for the extra playoff for the teams placed 12-24 at the end of the 8 games to determine the last 16 (unless they scrapped that part already)

The more confusing part used to be who gets the 2 extra spots but is now clear - done based on country coefficient rather than an individual team constantly being in Europe accruing points and being safe despite shit season domestically

Will see how SuperLeague lobby responds.
That format was way more amorphous

The new format looks shit. The Super League sounds better than the new CL.

How can something of which we know nothing about sound better?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What's confusing about it?

36 teams in a league
Probably a draw of who plays who, just like R16
And then another for the extra playoff for the teams placed 12-24 at the end of the 8 games to determine the last 16 (unless they scrapped that part already)

The more confusing part used to be who gets the 2 extra spots but is now clear - done based on country coefficient rather than an individual team constantly being in Europe accruing points and being safe despite shit season domestically

Will see how SuperLeague lobby responds.
That format was way more amorphous

Bear with me since I am slow:

- So a random draw of 8 teams out of the pot of 36 teams for each team? Or there will be some sort of mechanism/scheme involved? If your team drew my team as one of the 8 teams but when it is my chance to draw, your team is not one of the 8 teams, what do you do?

- After each team plays the 8 games, the top 11 automatically advances to the R16, teams finish between 25 -36 are eliminated and teams finish 12-24 have an extra playoff to compete for how many seats? 5 or 3?

El Gato

Villarato!
Bear with me since I am slow:

- So a random draw of 8 teams out of the pot of 36 teams for each team? Or there will be some sort of mechanism/scheme involved? If your team drew my team as one of the 8 teams but when it is my chance to draw, your team is not one of the 8 teams, what do you do?

- After each team plays the 8 games, the top 11 automatically advances to the R16, teams finish between 25 -36 are eliminated and teams finish 12-24 have an extra playoff to compete for how many seats? 5 or 3?

You're not slow, just we dont know much and they haven't announced it but it's presumably a draw
Specifics of the draw dont matter that much long as there's no preferential treatment of stronger teams being drawn against weaker seeded teams
Can't see it being done another way

The 12-24 part Im doing for memory, but pretty sure either top 12 or top 8 of the league advance automatically while some part of the rest play a mini playoff to determine the R16 opponents of those that qualified straight in

The biggest significance of this announcement is that they scrapped the 'legacy' spots and it's now done based on total coefficient sum clubs from given country accrued in last 5 years.
So for example for CL under this format next season, the 2 extra spots for teams with coefficients would go to England and Netherlands
Adding Conference League has really helped Netherlands because they had like 5 teams collecting points in qualifiers in years past that boosted their ranking and they all entered ECL this year, Feyenoord actually having 2nd highest coefficient in Europe behind Liverpool - https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/ccoef2022.html
So all in all while it still favors England most, it's better than what it was by design and Spain + Italy really have to pull their socks up collectively to get the extra spot going forward

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You're not slow, just we dont know much and they haven't announced it but it's presumably a draw
Specifics of the draw dont matter that much long as there's no preferential treatment of stronger teams being drawn against weaker seeded teams
Can't see it being done another way

The 12-24 part Im doing for memory, but pretty sure either top 12 or top 8 of the league advance automatically while some part of the rest play a mini playoff to determine the R16 opponents of those that qualified straight in

OK. I wasn't even thinking about fairness and stuff, just from a mathematic standpoint wondering how they actually design/assign which 8 teams each team gets to play against and how they make sure they will not run into the situation I mentioned above of teams drawing different teams and missing each other etc.

I am sure we will hear more later.

El Gato

Villarato!
Just gonna be an algorithm that eliminates wrong permutations like when they had to work around teams from same federation or Ukraine-Russia teams not landing in same CL group etc

Looked up the playoff part
Top8 go through to R16 automatically, 9-24 (sixteen teams) will play 2-legged ties to determine the bottom8 advancing through

Same Swiss format goes across to Europa and Conference too

Temptation

Madrid already resting and watching our games coming up with a plans to counter us. While we're desperately trying to win matches against PL opposition smh.

El Gato

Villarato!
Dariusz Mioduski (president of Legia Warsaw), a board member and negotiator of the ECA (the organisation that used to be headed by Agnelli, now by Nasser) did an interview as a representative of the champions and clubs from 'poorer' countries in UEFA

To sum up, he said it was key to get the expansion to 36 done otherwise under a new system that caters to the big teams to avoid separatism, you'd get next to no access to the highest level if you're from Poland, Bulgaria or another FA of the type
He's also let on that UEFA and ECA are strongly leaning towards converting the European Super Cup into a Final Four type mini tournament that starts the season, which would include CL-EL-ECL winners + 1 other team and may be used as an international tournee type promotional affair to be played in Shanghai etc

Home of Barca Fans